Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alpe d'huez Triathlon 2019

• 26-07-2019 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭

I done the long distance race yesterday and what a race it was in the airport now so will type this out now.

A little bit of background I had an issue with my peroneal tendon since Cork so I didn’t run or bike for 3 weeks after it which was far from ideal preparation I still swam but that was it. I had the ankle strapped since then and for the race. I was nervous going into it with the lack of proper training but I had it booked and paid for.

Logistics for the race couldn’t have went any better. I flew with the family to Lyon then the train to Grenoble and bus from there to the mountain. Out for the dinner the night before we met Daniela Ryf I gave her some tips😂 and we took some photos with her

Race day..

The swim. It was a 20km spin on the bike to the swim start the lake was stunning the water was pristine crystal clear. The swim route I found to be badly marked out and I was all over the place I was disappointed with the time of 50 mins but onwards to the bike. I really need to work on my sighing in the water.

I rented a bike to do the race it was a carbon frame and a decent bike but I missed my own bike. 10km into the bike disaster almost struck I was admiring the scenery and drifted to outside of the road surface I managed to get it back online before I nearly came off it.

The first climb the Alpe du grand serre it was a tasty climb. I felt I climbed strong and the legs were feeling fine at the summit. The weather was getting really hot and at the aid station I tipped a bottle of water over me to cool down. The descents were fast but the road surface was excellent still I maintained focus all the way down I dont decent great and I wouldn’t be a risk taker like some on the bike. Col de Malissol was short and I zipped up it.

I headed for the Col D’Ornon this was a long drag temperatures in the valley were 40+ so welcome relief when I got to the aid station. A lot seemed to be suffering with the heat I passed a lot of people just lying on their back in the shade at side of the road. I pushed on up the final bit of the climb and legs felt good.

Heading into Bourg-d'Oisans coming out of the town and onto the main event. Alpe D’huez that was one vicious climb people were suffering all over the mountain I didn’t stop even at the aid stations I just asked for the water over the head. I got to the summit time was ok I guess looking back I could have pushed harder but I was cautious with the heat and the final climb to keep enough in the tank. 6hr 22min.

The run started flat then up then down and continued like that for the lap it was tough. Looking back I held back on the run a little and definitely could have pushed harder. 2hr 20 and 9hr 44 total. I was glad to finish all the same legs a little sore today but nothing major. I would recommend this race to anyone it was in such a stunning setting you got an event t shirt plus and really cool bag and also it was a nice finisher t shirt. I’ll do some open water swimming on my holidays next week.

Then it’s onto the DL HIM.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

nice one i guess your next choice should be enbrunman lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

peter kern wrote: »
    nice one i guess your next choice should be enbrunman lol

Ha! maybe one day. That’s an absolute monster of a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Nice report. This is definitely on my wish-list. Out of interest, did you take your bike on plane (ie, bike box), get it shipped over with a company or did you hire a bike out there?

Also, where in Ireland did you train for those kind of hills 😀?

EDit wrote: »
    Nice report. This is definitely on my wish-list. Out of interest, did you take your bike on plane (ie, bike box), get it shipped over with a company or did you hire a bike out there?

Also, where in Ireland did you train for those kind of hills 😀?

I rented a bike from Cycle Huez it was a carbon frame €80 for a 2 day hire but noting like my own which I missed.

The only bit of hills I had done was around Howth prior to Cork I had planned on doing more around the Gap but with the tendon issue I was under prepared. I will probably go back next year for another crack at it. But not 100% sure at this stage.

It is a stunning race and you will not be disappointed I couldn’t recommend it more. It’s a serious bike leg with all the climbing but sure that’s the fun part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Did it in 2018 - incredible event. Deffo returning at some point, can weave a brilliant holiday into the mix as well.

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Did it in 2018 - incredible event. Deffo returning at some point, can weave a brilliant holiday into the mix as well.

I couldn’t agree more my wife and kids had a great time. I would love to go over for a good training block I went for a small run the day before the race on a trail at the back of our hotel it was stunning. Some great trails for running.

Advertisement