If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEAC Alternative

Options
  • 26-07-2019 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hey men

Got a TEAC AG980 off ye many years ago and it has started to switch itself off after about 6 seconds of being turned on, so maybe goosed...
    Need to start thinking about a replacement so here are requirements:

Needs to allow connection for minimum of 3 speaker pairs with the option of one pair being in a separate zone (outside patio speakers, so not always on)
    Apart from that, all that is connected to it is a Sonos Connect (non amplified)

thanks 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey men

Got a TEAC AG980 off ye many years ago and it has started to switch itself off after about 6 seconds of being turned on, so maybe goosed...

Needs to allow connection for minimum of 3 speaker pairs with the option of one pair being in a separate zone (outside patio speakers, so not always on)

thanks 
    Hey Technophobe.

Thanks for the post.
    The AG980 where one of the only stereo amps to run more than 2 pairs of speakers that we stocked.
    Have you tried removing all the speaker wires and see if it still switches off with no speakers connected, in-case there is a short in the cables.

I can't think of any stereo amps that will run 3-4 pairs of speakers off of the top of mt head.

Some stereo amps do have speaker A and B which would allow a set up be somewhere else but there are all controlled by the same volume. This would allow you to run 2 pairs of speakers.
    You could perhaps run more than the recommend speakers on a standard amp but I would not recommend this as if over driven can damage the amp.

Leave this with me for an hour or so and I'll go and see if there is anything I can source that will suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Hey men

thanks 
    Hey Technophobe.

Thanks for the post.
    The AG980 where one of the only stereo amps to run more than 2 pairs of speakers that we stocked.
    Have you tried removing all the speaker wires and see if it still switches off with no speakers connected, in-case there is a short in the cables.

I can't think of any stereo amps that will run 3-4 pairs of speakers off of the top of mt head.

Some stereo amps do have speaker A and B which would allow a set up be somewhere else but there are all controlled by the same volume. This would allow you to run 2 pairs of speakers.
    You could perhaps run more than the recommend speakers on a standard amp but I would not recommend this as if over driven can damage the amp.

Leave this with me for an hour or so and I'll go and see if there is anything I can source that will suit.
    Hi Kenny

Yes I have done the whole process of elimination thing and the fault is on the unit itself.. doesn't have to be anything fancy really as only using to power Sonos across scenario described in original post...
    thanks  

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey men

thanks 
    Hey Technophobe.

Thanks for the post.

Hi Kenny

Yes I have done the whole process of elimination thing and the fault is on the unit itself.. doesn't have to be anything fancy really as only using to power Sonos across scenario described in original post...
    thanks  
    Hi Technophobe.

There is nothing I can find that has 4 separate pairs of binding posts for speakers.

Anything I could offer would ideally only be used to run 2 pairs of speakers.
    You might get away with 3 pairs running on it but this runs the risk of over driving the amp and causing problems.

Something like the Onkyo TX8130 priced up at £249
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203838-onkyo-tx8130-black-network-stereo-receiver.aspx

Has speaker A/B button which would allow for the set in a different room to be switched on or off.

Let me know your thoughts.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.