Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scan / Test results waiting time

• 26-07-2019 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

I know in hindsight I should have pushed when these were being carried out back in January but I didn’t expect that both I and my GP would be waiting 6 months from the scans until now and neither of us are any of the wiser. Anyway I was informed results would be sent to my GP so just presumed six weeks or whatever.

He has emailed the hospital but admitted that it could be another couple of months before information is forthcoming.

It was bad enough to have to wait so long for these tests, duration of almost a year.

Can the Mater be contacted directly by a patient for a hurry up ? My faith too is being slightly eroded in my GP too by his kind of “ahhh sure I’ll give you a shout when they come in and bang them off an email “ kind of stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

who ordered the scan

was it your gp or was it a hospital doctor.

the results go to whichever dr ordered the scan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wesser wrote: »
    who ordered the scan

was it your gp or was it a hospital doctor.

the results go to whichever dr ordered the scan.

Ordered by hospital at a consultation last year, scans and tests took place early this year and both me and my GP are sitting here six months later and zero info.

thats because the results don't go to your gp... they go to the dr that ordered them.

Wesser wrote: »
    thats because the results don't go to your gp... they go to the dr that ordered them.

I just presumed they will send a copy to your GP or else recall you to inform you. So far, neither.

no they dont routinely do that . if your gp requests them they usually send them. you need to get in contact with your consultant / ordering dr.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    You can just call the consultants receptionist and have them sent to your GP.

I do it all the time as you can be waiting months to see the consultant again regardless of the result.

I was with my GP last week and he has requested them from the hospital but advised it will be weeks probably before they are available.

I think it’s a bit of a kink in the system that you can be sent for tests which have a bearing on your wellbeing and how you manage that going forward but there is no purposeful procedure for letting you or your GP know.

I see no issue with the gap between seeing the consultant, it would not make sense for him or even his team to call you back just to ‘tell’ you when they can use that time better to diagnose, work and directly help people who they haven’t seen and need to see them.

Where I do have the issue is...

Mine or anyone’s test result regardless need to be typed, and filed / saved. All I need is that the time is taken in the weeks after to email those or post those to my GP who can in turn inform me. A task that takes minimal time and effort. It would take seconds.

It’s pointless carrying out tests and NOT informing the person whom is being tested. They are going to be worrying, nervous, putting life plans on hold for themselves and loved ones depending on what the outcome is. That isn’t a competent, efficient and caring health system to be honest, in the case I’m speaking of it’s thoughtless, inefficienct, incompetent and uncaring.

It would be the minimal to know if not the results...when I might be told, ie. 6 months or whatever. At least you can manage your expectations / life goals and plans, those of your family and other half but hey also yours re: finances, life plans etc. a lot rides in being told and knowing.

Advertisement