Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off street bike parking in Dublin 1?

Options
  • 26-07-2019 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend safe off-street parking in Dublin 1? I've contacted all the car parks in the area and they're all directing me to Drury Street.

I'm moving to a new job which would be based on Capel St (way up the Parnell St end) and I wouldn't be able to get from the job up to Drury St and back to creche in time for pick up, so need to find something closer.

It's a long cargo bike so I'd really rather not leave it parked on the street. Apart from attracting attention :( I think it could just get in pedestrians' way more than a regular bike.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The only other bike parking I know of is in the car park at Smithfield, which isn't any closer unfortunately.

I don't know of there's anything in the carpark at Cineworld or Jervis. Probably not.

Might be worth contacting Park Rite about bike parking on Parnell St though, I've never seen the car park very full there especially considering there's free on street parking around after 7:30. Maybe someday they could add some and it won't take away from their precious profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

DaveyDave wrote:
    Might be worth contacting Park Rite about bike parking on Parnell St though, I've never seen the car park very full there especially considering there's free on street parking around after 7:30. Maybe someday they could add some and it won't take away from their precious profits.

I've contacted all the car parks to see if they have racks, no joy anywhere!

Might have to get into speed walking to get myself over to Drury Street. Or I can try to see if there might be any business in the area who has (underused) staff bike parking or a yard nearby they might allow me to access. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

And they wonder why more people don't cycle with literally no facilities, sad really.

How about the underground car park in the Mater Hospital, there are some bike racks there and it would be an easier walk than Drury St which would be crazy having to transverse the city to park a bike. How about the Rotunda Hospital, never been so no idea if it has an underground car park so might be a possibility and closer again.

Alternatively not sure if Connelly has any of those bike lockers similar to what are available in Heuston, as far as I know they are pretty expensive and Connelly would still be a long walk but at least the bike is completely out of sight from scumbag eyes. That said not sure if they're long enough to take a cargo bike.

Other other suggestion is if you do have to resort to parking further a field is to get a Dublin Bike card and use that to commute to and from work and bike park, would save a lot of time versus walking which is painfully slow when used to cycling around the city.

And they wonder why more people don't cycle with literally no facilities, sad really.
    Exactly! I have dropped Dublin City council an email to ask for their recommendations of where to park (maybe there's some secret bike park we don't know about?) or at least to raise the issue of the lack of off street bike parking on the North side of the city centre.

Thanks for the Mater suggestion. I hadn't thought of there. The walk is similar to Drury Street, but it's in the right direction for me getting out to the crèche. This could be the solution. Possibly even cargo bike to the car park, regular bike on to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

There's some bike parking on the Jervis Street side of the Morrison hotel - it's off pavement, so your bike wouldn't be impeding pedestrians. It's a busy enough stretch, between the hotel guests, taxis and shoppers/office workers, so it should be safe enough during the day with good locks on it. From Jervis, you head down Great Strand Street, which intersects with Capel Street just where PantiBar/Nealon's are.

I work in the area and have left my bike there a few times in the evening, when I didn't want to use our own off-street parking (which is in a relatively dark area and feels unsafe during the winter). Never had any trouble there, hopefully it'll work for you!

(Link to Streetview, there are some additional racks there since the shot was taken)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Drury St, and take a Dublin Bike from there?

As a slight aside, I was at a conference at Danske banks head office in Copenhagen last year. At coffee I stepped outside for top up nicotine and noticed people walking out of a basement next to the main entrance. I walked over for a quick nosey as to where they were coming from and under the building was a basement with what looked like hundreds of bikes locked up securely.

The Danish really have the cycle to work thing sussed.

QueensGael wrote: »
    There's some bike parking on the Jervis Street side of the Morrison hotel - it's off pavement, so your bike wouldn't be impeding pedestrians. It's a busy enough stretch, between the hotel guests, taxis and shoppers/office workers, so it should be safe enough during the day with good locks on it. From Jervis, you head down Great Strand Street, which intersects with Capel Street just where PantiBar/Nealon's are.

Thanks QueensGael, this could be another good option!

I got a laughably unhelpful reply from Dublin City Council :D (to be fair to them, they did reply promptly, but the boards apps on my phone and tablet don't seem to be working, and I hardly ever open my laptop anymore).

Unfortunately this is not an issue that Dublin City Council would be in a position to assist you with, we are not the responsible body for bicycle stations across the city, Dublin bike may be in a position to assist you on : 1850 777 070 or 01 424 7605, Or by email : contactus@dublinbikes.ie
    Alternatively your new employer may have a underground parking facility for such items.

From their website, you'd really get the impression that Dublin City Council were the ones who provided the Drury St bike park facility:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/upgraded-cycle-parking-facility-opens-drury-street-car-park

"Dublin City Council is already looking at other facilities that are suitable for providing such parking and they hope to develop more facilities to compliment this one in the near future. This will compliment the ongoing on-street cycle parking programme that has already provided over 1,300 spaces this year. "

How many small employers in the city centre have their own underground car parks??? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

I would leave a cheap bike in Drury Street and lock the cargo bike there and then cycle to capel st.

site_owner wrote: »
    I would leave a cheap bike in Drury Street and lock the cargo bike there and then cycle to capel st.

Time wise, I just wouldn't make it between the end of work and the creche closing, as it's the wrong side of town for me. Even on an e-bike with no other traffic and all green lights, I'd barely get there! :o

But I am going to try to check out the Mater car park this week. That's the right side of town for me so I will investigate leaving my old regular bike there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There's bike parking in the mater. There maybe be parking in other car parks near by. You'd have to explore both public car parks, business and hotels. You might be able to come to an agreement.

A cargo bike isn't going to fit in most bike racks, parking or cages.

Bike theft is rampant at the moment. The bike parking I use, off street, underground, behind locked gates and some of it in a cage. Has been attacked a few times this year alone. They bring all manner of tools and equipment with them. Only there is CCTV and security guards saw them sometimes has reduced what has been taken.

Has me discouraged from buying an electric bike or anything expensive.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Jervis St car park (on the left) has spaces but IIRC this place gets quite busy (I'd hate scratches on my bike).
    Is there bike parking in the ILAC?

I used the Mater frequently when visiting my dad there last winter.
    I tended to store it on -2 rather than -1 as I figured that most scummers wouldn't go that far in. There was also a camera facing the bike rack (no idea if it was on though!). The racks were never busy and should easily accommodate a cargo bike.

The Jervis St car park (on the left) has spaces but IIRC this place gets quite busy (I'd hate scratches on my bike).
    Is there bike parking in the ILAC?

I used the Mater frequently when visiting my dad there last winter.
    I tended to store it on -2 rather than -1 as I figured that most scummers wouldn't go that far in. There was also a camera facing the bike rack (no idea if it was on though!). The racks were never busy and should easily accommodate a cargo bike.

Cheers Seth Brundle. I asked the Jervis Car Park (both of them!) but they said they don't have spaces. But I'm going to be in that part of town tomorrow morning so I'll call in to have a look. I'd be starting work at 9am, so in hopefully before the racks would get full. Even if they're full, just to have my bike off the street would be better than nothing. I could live with a few scratches if it reduced the chances of my bike getting stolen! We have good locks and insurance, but hoping not to need to use the insurance. :eek:

Hoping to get in to the Mater on Wed / Thur too. Thanks for the tip, I will take a look at the -2 parking. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Fr Pat Noise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

There's a large bicycle lock up in DIT Bolton Street in the car park. You need a student csrd to access it. If you knew someone there maybe.

You could also lock it up just outside the bicycle lock up as a lot of cyclists do. It's off the street and you don't need a card to enter.

It's worth a look.
    Scobe central around there so if you leave a bike on the street in that area, sooner rather than later it'll be gone.

Well the four years has just passed, so I'm sure this will be opening any day now. :D I'll keep an eye out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

Well the four years has just passed, so I'm sure this will be opening any day now. :D I'll keep an eye out!
    I love the phraseology in that article. "Japanese-style multi-storey bicycle parking will come into effect in Dublin within the next four years..."

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to be built though :rolleyes:

Advertisement