Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any harm in applying for a mortgage, just to see what my position is, even i

• 26-07-2019 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I'm settled in Limerick for the foreseeable future and renting for the last few years. I've gotten sick of pouring rent into a bottomless pit and decided it's time that I consider buying an apartment. I am never having kids and so a house is both too much money and too much space.

So to my question, does it look bad to apply for a mortgage that I never plan on drawing down, just so I can see where I stand from a banks point of view. If I'm accepted, great, I'll know my budget. If I'm rejected, I'll know what I need to work on. I just don't want to get on the wrong side of the bank if I get rejected/don't draw down so that it affects me negatively if I reapply in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

I'm settled in Limerick for the foreseeable future and renting for the last few years. I've gotten sick of pouring rent into a bottomless pit and decided it's time that I consider buying an apartment. I am never having kids and so a house is both too much money and too much space.

So to my question, does it look bad to apply for a mortgage that I never plan on drawing down, just so I can see where I stand from a banks point of view. If I'm accepted, great, I'll know my budget. If I'm rejected, I'll know what I need to work on. I just don't want to get on the wrong side of the bank if I get rejected/don't draw down so that it affects me negatively if I reapply in the future.

IMO, you don't want a credit application rejected on your record... If you think that you are a good candidate then fire ahead.... If you have gremlins to hide then maybe wait a few years for them to be forgotten, then apply....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

You're really only going to be looking for a approval in principle or pre approval which people do regularly. The application is not going to progress to full loan offer unless you actually give them a property to base the application on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

phormium wrote: »
    You're really only going to be looking for a approval in principle or pre approval which people do regularly. The application is not going to progress to full loan offer unless you actually give them a property to base the application on.

True but still not a bad exercise to go through if you have the time..... Save all documents to a dropbox and then you will know what you'll need to update when the right house comes about.... Makes it all easier and allows you to hit the ground running with a valid offer....

Advertisement