Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine Control, Slow Speed & Kneedown Training

Options
  • 26-07-2019 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

I have done i2MCA 3-day training in York last year, and MC1+MC2 for a second time this Spring. Despite riding bikes since ‘94 it has taught me more than all the years of figuring it out on my own. This is a heads-up that it is available 27–29 August in Ireland, at the Whiteriver Park kart track in Collon, Co Louth. I am planning on being there—again! I am a bit of a fan as I have always learned lots. The track is great for practice, even if a bit technical from a motorbike perspective, but the tutors, Tom Killeen & Colm, are amazing and make the best out of it.

More info: https://i2imca.com/About.asp

I fully recommend doing MC1+MC2. MC3, aka “knee-down” is an icing on the cake. MC1+MC2 focuses on slow-speed manoeuvring, core body stability and control, understanding exactly what makes bikes corner and how to handle it at both very low and high speeds, overcoming lean angle anxiety, braking at the maximum possible rate, braking effectively while cornering, and advanced cornering. MC3 puts it together and makes it fluid, at higher speeds, and so permitting a knee down, if that’s something of interest.

There were still 2 spaces left for MC1, I just checked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Two photos from i2iMCA at Whiteriver in May, when I did MC1+MC2.

Tom demonstrating lean angle limits of the Street Triple 675 that he uses for demos and everyone gets to ride during MC3 (MC1+MC2 is on your own bike):

486481.jpeg

Part of the track at Whiteriver that is used a lot for practice, including braking on turns:

486485.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I just started doing track days..took my time and got the knee down after a few laps of confidence building...all by myself....just sayin..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

£150 sterling per module is not cheap....how long does the module take? Is it mostly theory or practical sessions? Do you use a school bike or your own bike....No real interest is getting my knee down but would like to learn more about lean angles and be a better alround rider.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    £150 sterling per module is not cheap....how long does the module take? Is it mostly theory or practical sessions? Do you use a school bike or your own bike....No real interest is getting my knee down but would like to learn more about lean angles and be a better alround rider.

Just put up more miles and save herself £150........:p

£150 is for the full day, MC1 or MC2. Starts around 9am and finishes about 5pm. MC3 is dearer, but if you do all 3 within a year you get 10% off everything.

There’s 1 space left for MC1—just checked. Best advanced bike skills training I’ve ever done, looking forward to it again.

Edit: forgot to answer the rest: it’s mostly practical, theory is about 20%. You use your bike for MC1 and 2, but their bike, Street Triple, for MC3.

• Advertisement

I just started doing track days..took my time and got the knee down after a few laps of confidence building...all by myself....just sayin..;)

Well done! :)

To be honest, I think the focus on “knee-down” in MC3 is a bit of clever marketing. Even though that’s the big finish of an otherwise exhausting day, majority of it is body/core control to perfect cornering so you never need to adjust or correct them.

Good part of the morning of MC3 when I did it in York, last year, was learning how to do turn the bike with body position only, not touching handlebars. This meant large radius—but it trained body control well. Then he let us turn normally, and everyone was way more accurate and composed. After that it was hanging off and body position for tightening the radius without needing much lean angle. I may be not remembering it all fully, but the bottom line is that it helped me ride better. And it was a lot of fun. :)

MC1 and 2 focus more on more essential stuff.

Booked the MC1 for the craic, would love to do the MC2 aswell but its a bit rich for me to do both. We see how I get on with MC1 and I do MC2 next time.....

Booked the MC1 for the craic, would love to do the MC2 aswell but its a bit rich for me to do both. We see how I get on with MC1 and I do MC2 next time.....

So we'll be seeing you with worn out knee and elbow sliders then....:D

Both of us, I hope.

I already have them, when it was cool to get the knee down I went out to the shed and got a sander and wrecked all my knee pads and elbow pads so I was one of the in crowd!!!

The respect I got was massive, but I died a little inside.....:o

• Advertisement

I already have them, when it was cool to get the knee down I went out to the shed and got a sander and wrecked all my knee pads and elbow pads so I was one of the in crowd!!!

The respect I got was massive, but I died a little inside.....:o

don't fret lad...they spend more time in Woodies than Mondello.....don't forget the chicken strips on the tyres too..it's a dead give away....:p:D

MC1 showing as sold out. Well done to whoever got the spaces, see you in a few weeks!

3 spaces showing as of now (31 July), I guess there must have been a cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Looks like a great alternative to the California Superbike School at Mondello!

don't fret lad...they spend more time in Woodies than Mondello.....don't forget the chicken strips on the tyres too..it's a dead give away....:p:D

I dont have chicken strips I have QUARTER POUNDERS!

I dont have chicken strips I have QUARTER POUNDERS!

AHHH......now i want a double Bacon and cheese Whopper.............:(

Well if its a WHOPPER you want I have........

Ahh no, dont want to lower the tone!!!!

Have to say this course was an eye opener tbh. I was expecting to pick up maybe one or two bits as this was the basic course in the 3 offered but hand on heart it was just amazing. I learned so much theory that the practical hands on just seemed to sink in a lot quicker and gave me a hell of a lot more confidence. From learning a much more advanced braking technique to knowing about grip and how it works with a bike it's incredible. Withing 2hrs I had the bike leaning over more then I ever did and feeling safer the more angle I had.

Nice to meet you too Rafal, top lad and cracking gixxer you have m8

Gonna book mc2 and mc3 next year.

Have to say this course was an eye opener tbh. I was expecting to pick up maybe one or two bits as this was the basic course in the 3 offered but hand on heart it was just amazing. I learned so much theory that the practical hands on just seemed to sink in a lot quicker and gave me a hell of a lot more confidence. From learning a much more advanced braking technique to knowing about grip and how it works with a bike it's incredible. Withing 2hrs I had the bike leaning over more then I ever did and feeling safer the more angle I had.

Nice to meet you too Rafal, top lad and cracking gixxer you have m8

Gonna book mc2 and mc3 next year.

Glad you liked it—thanks for coming. It looks like there may have been one more boardsie there, but unsure who.

I had the same feelings as you when I attended i2imca for my first time, last year. Most of what I had learned came out useful while riding on the roads—previously more tricky turns were easier, it felt like the bike was riding itself. The braking on turns, and two-phase braking drills became part of my day-to-day riding, but also gave me a technique for very hard braking that helps me at Mondello and Donington, the only two tracks where I have been so far. Needless to say, body position (MC2 and MC3) is essential. Being able to steer the bike around the twisty course, at a relatively low speed, without touching the handlebars, while a great teaching drill is also a lot of fun, feels a bit like magic. :)

Weather helped, and it was nice to have the whole track to just about 25 bikes in total.

489493.png

I might be going again next year...looks like Tom enjoys having me help him around. :)

I honestly did not think I would get much from the course but I could not believe how good it was....I can only imagine what I will learn from the MC2 and MC3 really wish they were on this year tbh.

Deffo doing the MC2 and MC3 next year....also would love to really have giving that track a pasting on the school bike....lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

Very interested in this next time round.

• Advertisement

Will have to get a boards group discount....but all messing aside it was such a good course. Only thing is lads you cant do the MC2 course without the course before it. I actually said it to him that thats a bit stupid and he explained to me that when it was not like that he was having to explain all the techniques from MC1 course again and again and it was taking up so much time on the MC2 course. As the techniques on the MC2 and MC3 are more advanced variations of the techniques from MC1 if that makes sense.

But nothing stopping you booking all 3 courses over 3 days but that is alot of money and energy in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Sounds and looks fantastic tbh. Fair play

Advertisement