Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian tourist who fell down stairs in National Museum awarded €67,000

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

recedite wrote: »
    Does anybody have Mr. Baldwin's exact address?
    I want to go over to Australia and fall on his porch.

The Aussies would laugh you out of the courtroom. Wouldn't see this nonsense in Sydney.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

3 TDs in our current government are making money or attempted to make money from dodgy claims. It sends a signal far and wide that the compo culture is thriving in Ireland.

Maybe Leo & Co could start advertising Compo Tourism i.e. Come to Ireland, stage an accident and you and our barristers/judges will be handsomely rewarded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like he was confined to drinking beers by the ocean in Mykonos in August of 2016, 2 months later, de poor poor man so to speak...
    https://www.facebook.com/warren.baldwin.12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Annoyed or not, why was the hand rail not all the way down. Understand no one else fell but hes clearly the exception. Just because 100s of millions fly each year on planes with relatively nothing occurring doesnt mean we shouldn't safeguard against what COULD happen.

As for not making available witnesses and destroying evidence,when the litigants flys from Australia, do you really think the judge is aiding any other way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Looks like he was confined to drinking beers by the ocean in Mykonos in August of 2016, 2 months later, de poor poor man so to speak...
    Looks like the old cnut has been getting around a lot of beaches.
    See the pic of him with the 20 year old Thai girl? At least he's spreading our money around.
    Can't take it with you when you're dead, as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I can see the 'private option' button being clicked sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭lalababa

At 70 years of age a ruptured leg tendon can quite literally ruin the rest of your life. It's very hard to fully recover from such injuries at that age. It's one thing having young chancers coming over faking whiplash and various other injuries for a fat payout but in this specific case I'd argue that the system did its job, a once off case assessed on its merits and compensation awarded accordingly. Realistically speaking €70k for an injury that'll affect his ability to walk, jog, climb steps, and will probably lead to a walking frame 5/10 years earlier than usual is chump change.
    66k... a type of claim like this could be the death knell for a business. Insurance cost rise and a rise in prices hitting the consumers.
    He fell down stairs, people fall down stairs all the time, especially the very young and the very old, whether there are handrails or not. The Skelligs rock has a couple of hundred steps with no handrails. There are 70yr olds climing them. Personal liability is fast going out the window, we are getting very Americanized in our litagation culture, which is strange coz we have a national health service. We would very quickly want to change our ways and start ape-ing a more Continental view of personal liability.
    Because of the idiotic insurance claim culture more Social volunteer/festival/public events are being shut down, along with creches, etc. The list goes on. Nobody will insure bouncy castle from next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Looks like the old cnut has been getting around a lot of beaches.
    See the pic of him with the 20 year old Thai girl? At least he's spreading our money around.
    Can't take it with you when you're dead, as they say.

I'd be interested to know who advised him here. To travel back all the way from Sydney must have meant he was advised it was a sure thing despite 469,000 people that year having a trip free visit to the museum.

Deeper dives needed on these stories. Perhaps some firms are worse than others for this. Would be interesting to see the data and types of cases coming through successfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wheety wrote: »
    I'm sure the rail is there a long time. It'd an old building.

In know he was injured so why not just cover his medical bills? These 'wins' that people are getting are ridiculous.
    That nagging question over the last three steps is what probably did it in court. It makes little sense to me as to why they'd have a partial rail, not that I've noticed. "Losing" CCTV footage really didn't help their case either. The "win" is what the HC limit is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

hmmm wrote: »
    I came through Dublin airport recently after being away for a while, and on one of the first set of steps there was a recorded voice telling people to hold the handrail being played repeatedly. It's an embarrassment, and sad for the country, that someone felt this was necessary.

This has to stop.

It's the "I am always a Darwin Award contender warnings".

But who the fcuk decided that the mind the gap voice was to be taken off the tube.
    It was an institution, a shared experience, lost to Londoners for ever.
    Just wait they will be sorry when the t-shirt sales drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,791 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

green123 wrote: »
    You are missing the point completely, as usual

Literally never seen you post here. But good for you. :confused:
    green123 wrote: »
    Of course if you are injured through negligence then compensation is due but the point here is that there was no negligence in this case.

Is there some underlining comprehension difficulty?

My post was quite clear, I asked a specific poster a specific question about his specific opinion, nothing to do with this case.

Do try and keep up lad, makes the thread easier for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Another day, another payout - of course we need proper legislation but Leo and his buddies are doing very well out of it so I'm not going to hold my breath any time soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

He looks very happy in the picture.

I always maintain that I dont mind the genuine cases of workplace injury that it was the fault of the employer but the ones that take the biscuit annoy everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

But who the fcuk decided that the mind the gap voice was to be taken off the tube
    WHAT?? That's terrible news if its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

WHAT?? That's terrible news if its true.

I believe it's been taken off stations where they have straightened the platforms 

Some history 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-21719848

https://metro.co.uk/2007/11/25/voice-of-tube-sacked-for-spoofs-545083/

I miss the rich artwork in the tiles which has been covered by that Blaa off white :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement