Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engine loss of power when lights are switched on

Options
  • 27-07-2019 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Recently I bought a Yamaha dragstar 250 2005 and I thought the battery was just flat but I discovered as I traveled more that the lights being switched on causes the engine to lose power . The engine check light comes on , when turned off the bike then won’t start and there’s a buzzing sound out of it , I’m only starting with bikes and don’t have a clue what could be the problem ?! (Bought and put in a new battery , no difference )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Jacobb88 wrote: »
    Recently I bought a Yamaha dragstar 250 2005 and I thought the battery was just flat but I discovered as I traveled more that the lights being switched on causes the engine to lose power . The engine check light comes on , when turned off the bike then won’t start and there’s a buzzing sound out of it , I’m only starting with bikes and don’t have a clue what could be the problem ?! (Bought and put in a new battery , no difference )

Was it like that since the first day you got it? Can you call the seller and ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jacobb88

zubair wrote: »
    Was it like that since the first day you got it? Can you call the seller and ask them?

I’ve rang but he said it hasn’t done it with him which I find a bit weird. And yes it was like that since the start but it doesn’t happen on short distance , usually after 30/40 minutes of riding along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Sounds like an electrical connection fault, try to find yourself a decent mechanic to give it a decent look at .... Hopefully it is fixed fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Jacobb88 wrote: »
    I’ve rang but he said it hasn’t done it with him which I find a bit weird. And yes it was like that since the start but it doesn’t happen on short distance , usually after 30/40 minutes of riding along.

Could be a poor connection. When you changed the battery did you notice any bad connections or cables.

Also, can you expand on the not starting scenario.?

Sounds like an electrical connection fault, try to find yourself a decent mechanic to give it a decent look at .... Hopefully it is fixed fairly soon.

Yes I thought the same feel like there’s a faulty wire some where along the lines.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Could be a poor connection. When you changed the battery did you notice any bad connections or cables.

Also, can you expand on the not starting scenario.?

When I try to start it after this problem starts the engine would give one turn and then there’s just a buzzing noise out of the bike . It sounds to be coming from the area where the battery and the wire connections are kept under the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

There's a loose connection somewhere - you could try tightening everything or you could give it to a mechanic before it goes on fire. The engine trying to turn and then buzzing is classic loose connection - start at the battery and work forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

There's a loose connection somewhere - you could try tightening everything or you could give it to a mechanic before it goes on fire. The engine trying to turn and then buzzing is classic loose connection - start at the battery and work forwards.
    Yep I reckon loose battery cable or battery on its way out.

Thanks I’ll go through all the wires when I get a chance and make sure they’re all connected properly. If that doesn’t work I’ll get a mechanic to have a look at it , thanks for the help anyway ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

Advertisement