Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic CAT5 cabling

Options
  • 27-07-2019 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I have a number of RJ45 terminated network points in my house. They are marked as cat5 and appear to be wired correctly. The problem is there is no network link between any of them and I can't find where they all might link up.

Is there somewhere typically used as a termination point? The obvious answer is the attic but I can't see anything obvious up there. Before I go any deeper I'm looking for a few pointers. What am I searching for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

They should all go back to a patch panel, where you can connect them together using a network switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I'd expect there to be a location where all the cables are located. I.e. if you have 25 terminations, then you should have 25 cables in one location. I.e. attic, under stairs, utility room.
    Can you ask the person you bought the house from where they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

hurikane wrote: »
    They should all go back to a patch panel, where you can connect them together using a network switch.
    If it's a private house there might not be a patch panel or even a switch, they may terminate directly into the router. OP, is there a router with network ports on it?
    How many points are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

There is a location where all the cables terminate in the house. Is it new or second hand? You will have to provide a patch panel or router yourself to enable the connections to 'talk' to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Its not unknown for them to be installed and then when not used for them to get plastered over.

Places I'd look. Under stairs, around any electrical fuse boards, airing cupboard, above any fitted units (and inside), utility room, where the phone line comes into the house and where any alarm is connected into the phone. I'd even go so far as to take drawers out of units as some people have a mad fascination for hiding stuff away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Did you look in the attic? Find the RJ45 terminal that's closest to the attic (ie in an upstairs bedroom) and open it. Check what direction the CAT5 is going...if it's going upwards, then check in the attic directly above the terminal....you should be able to find the wire there....and just follow it to wherever it goes. If you don't want to go to that trouble, just get in the attic with a torch and have a look for CAT5 cable... My guess is that all the cables will run to a point there...there may or may not be a patch panel. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭grebtol2

Thanks for the replies. I've checked the links with a hub but there's nothing. I've checked everywhere in the house and they're not around the alarm. I suspect the cables run into the attic and are buried under the insulation.

House is newish, I emailed the builder asked them if they've any idea what they did with the cabling but didn't get a response. They probably don't know at this stage. The house is a few years old.

Thanks for the suggestion re phone line, I'll trace that. It must use the same wiring inside the house thinking about it. It's not in use but there's one connection with an Eir RJ11 plate on it. They probably just swapped it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

grebtol2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I've checked the links with a hub but there's nothing. I've checked everywhere in the house and they're not around the alarm. I suspect the cables run into the attic and are buried under the insulation.

House is newish, I emailed the builder asked them if they've any idea what they did with the cabling but didn't get a response. They probably don't know at this stage. The house is a few years old.

Thanks for the suggestion re phone line, I'll trace that. It must use the same wiring inside the house thinking about it. It's not in use but there's one connection with an Eir RJ11 plate on it. They probably just swapped it out.

Do yourself a favour and get hold of a oscillator. It will save you pulling things apart ie insulation and the likes. They are a handy tool for finding cables.

If you cant find them id say they were buried in a wall or something. The most common places i come across cables are attics or utility rooms. Id definitely give the attic a good check though.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Look around for a blank plate beside a socket maybe beside your tv point in the sitting room. And ask a neigbour they might have an idea

• Administrators Posts: 53,862 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would start with the attic, do a sweep of the entire floor area of the attic. The cables are probably all uncrimped, so you are probably looking for a bundle of cables that have probably been wound up and taped.

I think if they were terminating inside the house itself you'd have found them by now. Unless your house only has 1 or 2 RJ45 ports there will be too many cables to hide behind a blank plate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭glenkeo

If you know where the TV cables go back to they should be in the same area

• Administrators Posts: 53,862 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

glenkeo wrote: »
    If you know where the TV cables go back to they should be in the same area

The TV cables might not go anywhere inside the house, they could all be connected outside before they come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The OP has to get back and tell us if he ever finds these cables and where they were hidden. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

do any faceplates have more points then rest of rooms ? to rule simple extension installation.

Advertisement