Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDF Stage 20: Albertville - Val Thorens 59km

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

If only Kruijswijk didn't lose his guts in that crash at the Giro. Horrible stage, Valverde taking the piss at the end sums up how bad it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Also delighted to see Alaphillipe hang on to top 5. He deserved at least that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Has any team ever had three TdF winners in it's number?, apart from Ineos.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Very poor service stage with non of the leaders trying anything. Thought Kruijswijk or Buchmann would have tried something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Eamonnator wrote: »

Or 3 diff winners in 3 consecutive races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

If Froome had been fit it would probably have been an Ineos podium. Disappointing stage, predictable end to the race.

Ineos are buying Carapaz next. Brailsford wants all three Grand Tours in the one year and who is to say they won't achieve it. The Man City of cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Renault team were as successful in that they won 6 TDFs in 7 years. Same as SKY/Ineos but Renault had two winners - Hinault & Fignon.

US Postal / Discovery won 8 with two riders!

letape wrote: »
    Renault team were as successful in that they won 6 TDFs in 7 years. Same as SKY/Ineos but Renault had two winners - Hinault & Fignon.

US Postal / Discovery won 8 with two riders!

In an alternative universe, Perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

In an alternative universe, Perhaps

I knew you couldn’t let it go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Salt Lake Stallion

Delighted for Bernal, he's a serious talent. Team Ineos are such a dminant team, hard to know if it's bad or good for the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Decuc500 wrote: »

Ineos are buying Carapaz next. Brailsford wants all three Grand Tours in the one year and who is to say they won't achieve it. The Man City of cycling?

You mean the kinahans of cycling.
    Conveyer belt of dodgy blokes replacing each other seamlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

You mean the kinahans of cycling.
    Conveyer belt of dodgy blokes replacing each other seamlessly.

Can you send a pm of these guys, genuine interest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Fat track cyclist loses heaps of weight but not power, gets magic cure for hay-fever, wins TDF. Domestique /tt rider with multiple ailments gets magic cure, loses weight but not power, wins TDF. Welsh lad, wins TDF. Some Columbian, must be on the cocaine or something, gets magic cure for broken collar bone, wins TDF.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Can you send a pm of these guys, genuine interest

Dave “Dapper Don” Brailsford
    Chris “Junior” Froome
    Geraint “The Boxer” Thomas
    Egan “The Mule” Bernal
    Wout “ The Mad ****” Poels
    Ect ect

Sir Dave “Dapper Don” Brailsford
    Sir Chris “Junior” Froome
    Geraint “The Boxer” Thomas OBE
    Egan “The Mule” Bernal
    Wout “ The Mad ****” Poels
    Ect ect

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Fat track cyclist loses heaps of weight but not power, gets magic cure for hay-fever, wins TDF. Domestique /tt rider with multiple ailments gets magic cure, loses weight but not power, wins TDF. Welsh lad, wins TDF. Some Columbian, must be on the cocaine or something, gets magic cure for broken collar bone, wins TDF.

What a stupid post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

What a stupid post

I was being ironic, sorry if I went a bit too deep

Bernal is the 3rd youngest rider to win TdF. The two younger than him won in 1904 and 1909.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Movistar 6th, 8th and 9th on GC. I'm sure the sponsors will be delighted with that - really seem like a clueless team at times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Movistar 6th, 8th and 9th on GC. I'm sure the sponsors will be delighted with that - really seem like a clueless team at times

Can't believe they didn't take the stage today,as happy as I am that Niballi took the stage someone from moviestar should have one with that number of riders?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

So Valverde is only about 30secs away from Quintana and only less than 2 mins away from Landa after only riding for himself for one stage, today. He might win the Vuelta if he's actually allowed to ride for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Movistar are the perfect counterpoint to the monotonous ruthlessness of ineos - they are hilarious.
    Lder for the tour? Nah we have 3, cheers. Protected guy on a bad day? Lets gun it at the front of the pack.
    Win grand tours but alienate the riders as they arent spanish? Who cares, old man valverde will keep going anyway.

Im amazed at the likes of soler and amador, they did trojan work looking after 3 guys throughout the tour, probably more than any of thr sky/ineos lads

It was pretty much a clusterfeck by all the other teams, FDJ aside who just had no luck. The weakest Sky/Ineos team ever, never able to get a train going, seeing riders go backwards leaving Bernal and Thomas often alone or with just 1 helper and completely unable to take any advantage from that. Movistar are just laughable these days with the talent they have. So at the end of the day Ineos get another 1-2, despite bringing their worst performing team, leaders aside, ever to the TDF.

Bernal could go on and dominate for god knows how many years to come, Froome may come back for another crack if he recovers sufficiently, though age is not on his side. Pinot seemed to be the only rider capable of standing up to Thomas and Bernal and sadly he was robbed from the race by a freak accident that tore his quadracep (??).

It's a shame the most promising tour in ages was ruined by the weather in the last 2 days, but I guess the outcome would likely have been the same regardless, perhaps Thomas could have beaten Bernal given he went so early yesterday, but beyond that handing the title to Bernal on a plate, Ineos would have likely won one way or the other once Pinot was forced to retire.

Bernal is the first winner of the TDF since Walko to not podium on any individual stage:

in 2017 Froome was 3rd in stage 9 (He may have podiumed in more I stopped checking after 1)
    in 2006 Oscar Periero was 3rd in stage 16 (He may have podiumed in more I stopped checking after 1)
    in 1990 Lemond was 2nd in stage 11 (He may have podiumed in more I stopped checking after 1)
    in 1966 Lucien Aimar was 2nd in Stage 14a (He may have podiumed in more I stopped checking after 1)
    in 1960 Gastone Nencini was 2nd and 3rd in Stage 1a and 1b (He may have podiumed in more I stopped checking after 1)

and that takes us back to Walko!

This a a great resource for old Tour results - https://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf1960.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Inquitus wrote:
    Bernal is the first winner of the TDF since Walko to not podium on any individual stage:
    While he didn't podium he'll probably be shown as the winner of stage 19 in the record books. I know there is no winner right now but I think that will change.

Just got to see the highlights from today.
    Such a disappointment to see Sky win again.
    Great to see Nibali win today.
    Besides that, best route I’ve ever seen in the TDF.
    Would have loved to see PInot win. Thomas didn’t look too pleased at the end for Bernal.
    The crowd going up the last climb for JA was amazing.
    And I don’t think that France has two more remote looking climbs that Val Thorens and Iseran.
    Amazing scenery.

Advertisement