Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defence forces facing crisis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Pay them properly first and foremost ,
    Defence forces families shouldn't have to rely on social welfare (FIS) to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table,
    It's embarrassing and shameful how we treat our defence forces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Conscription for anyone who has been claiming JSA for more than 12 months without a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

While these are all good ideas....we could in theory be looking at a hard border the 1st november

Should the state given short term contracts to recently retired soldiers to shore up the immediate shortfall??....the gaurds are stretched to breaking point as it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It’s an EU border, tell the EU we need help manning it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Conscription for anyone who has been claiming JSA for more than 12 months without a break.

Its not infantry and Airmen/privates/ratings that are the major crisis point. The immediate problem for day to day running is the loss of high skill, long experience technical personnel. How do you replace an Air Corps Sergeant with 12 years experience as an avionic or a Petty Officer with 10 years experience on Volvo marine engines or a Captain with 15 years IT experience and project management?

You cant go down to Adecco or hire a new one off Jobs.ie. No one knows the sacrifices the DF staff make except for their families. The late call outs and the duties away, injury time and other injuries. The people making these decisions have never served or spent their youth flitting their youth on sailboats around the world.

At the very least we need rates restored, gratuities returned and more support for those who watch over us.

• Advertisement

_blaaz wrote: »
    What should the government do to head off a staff shortage in the defence forces with immediate effect,given a hard border is a distinct possibility with brexit

I was talking to a Greek friend recently and he was telling me he has to go back to Greece to serve 9 months or a year in the military there in order to keep his Greek citizenship. I think he has to do it before a certain age.

The benefits of something similar here would be immense - not least in reducing the obesity problem, the skanger problem, the boy racer problem, the howaya-I'm-still-in-me-bleedin'-pyjamas-down-in-bleedin'-Centra-at-1pm problem, and all the rest. Get them into some qualification course while there and help to rectify the skills shortage for practically everything. Just call the year something more 'civic engagement' sounding than 'conscription'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Conscription is a stupid and incredibly expensive idea.
    Pay and the contempt held by the government for the DF needs to be addressed.

Conscription is a stupid and incredibly expensive idea.
    Pay and the contempt held by the government for the DF needs to be addressed.

Its debatable, the cost of a contributing citizen is lot less than someone on social welfare, with a criminal record with substance problems (not saying that everyone on social welfare is the same). Busy people are much less likely to be burden to the state and their families/society.

People with no hope and self respect end up at the core of the tracksuit brigade. "why should I bother doing anything when there is no benefit for it?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

I was talking to a Greek friend recently and he was telling me he has to go back to Greece to serve 9 months or a year in the military there in order to keep his Greek citizenship. I think he has to do it before a certain age.

The benefits of something similar here would be immense - not least in reducing the obesity problem, the skanger problem, the boy racer problem, the howaya-I'm-still-in-me-bleedin'-pyjamas-down-in-bleedin'-Centra-at-1pm problem, and all the rest. Get them into some qualification course while there and help to rectify the skills shortage for practically everything. Just call the year something more 'civic engagement' sounding than 'conscription'.

Nothing wrong with being a boy racer though?

Strange contempt of poor yous have,and virtually nothing to do with solving what could be a near immediate problem....but let you poision out i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Gatling wrote: »
    ....It's embarrassing and shameful how we treat our defence forces

The pay is crap, not arguement there.

But people know the pay before they apply. I dont think you can then moan about it when you accept the job and the pay scale. If they dont like it then take another job. This is exactly the advice we give to anybody else.

My grandad, dad and most of my uncles were in the army. But lets be honest, in the case of enlisted staff, its a low skilled job, how much money should we actually pay ? Minimum wage , living wage , €50,000? Who knows? I personally believe its a living wage job with additional allowances (being abroad etc) where nescessary.

I dont buy the arguement that they are doing an important role in protecting our country from foreign attack either. In the event of an attack our military would be neutralised within an hour if we are lucky.

• Advertisement

A segment of the defence forces have done more harm than good security wise by serving as a ferry service operating in tandem with people smugglers to aid illegal immigration into the EU.

A segment of the defence forces have done more harm than good security wise by serving as a ferry service operating in tandem with people smugglers to aid illegal immigration into the EU.

The defence forces are tasked by the government to carry out various roles. Naval vessels were in the Med at the behest of the government and EU. Our DF does not set its own missions it is under the control of the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dude89

Said before the age limit for recruitment should be raised to 35 like every other army.

Tzardine wrote: »
    But people know the pay before they apply. I dont think you can then moan about it when you accept the job and the pay scale. If they dont like it then take another job. This is exactly the advice we give to anybody else.

My grandad, dad and most of my uncles were in the army. But lets be honest, in the case of enlisted staff, its a low skilled job, how much money should we actually pay ? Minimum wage , living wage , €50,000? Who knows? I personally believe its a living wage job with additional allowances (being abroad etc) where necessary.

I dont buy the arguement that they are doing an important role in protecting our country from foreign attack either. In the event of an attack our military would be neutralised within an hour if we are lucky.

The pay was dramatically cut during the last recession along with the gratuity. The pension fund I am not uptodate on but I welcome someone correcting me. hmmmm, the enlisted thing is very hit and miss. Some are fantastic managers and others are not, its a different culture. I wouldnt call an Avionic in the Air Corps or a PO who was a fitter/mechanic at sea low skilled. Rank and skillset can be mutually exclusive.

I dont see a foreign attack coming but then neither did the Polish in 1938 from the man of the year. We could and have had national crisis where the DF came in to help out during snow storms and other bad weather. Its not the day you want the army you go to build one. You are talking about cold war scenario. I believe the future for the European Armies will be part of integrated defence and overseas missions in Africa and Western Asia. We are "integrated" in the European Union battle group and that is how we will function, not as a standalone army.

The defence forces are tasked by the government to carry out various roles. Naval vessels were in the Med at the behest of the government and EU. Our DF does not set its own missions it is under the control of the government.

Doesn’t take from the fact they were potentially diminishing the security of the EU.

That decision was not taken by or Defence Forces but by unaccountable bureaucrats who have never stepped out behind a desk in Europe.

Doesn’t take from the fact they were potentially diminishing the security of the EU.

The Defence Forces co-ordinate that deployment they are still under the control of Brussels.

You are blaming the DF for carrying out the orders of government.
    I served in the military, you are required to obey all legal orders issued by your superior officers who are in turn ordered to carry out certain tasks by government.
    What damage you think has been done is solely the responsibility of the politicians who tasked them to carry out the operations in the Med.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

The pay was dramatically cut during the last recession along with the gratuity. The pension fund I am not uptodate on but I welcome someone correcting me. hmmmm, the enlisted thing is very hit and miss. Some are fantastic managers and others are not, its a different culture. I wouldnt call an Avionic in the Air Corps or a PO who was a fitter/mechanic at sea low skilled. Rank and skillset can be mutually exclusive.

I dont see a foreign attack coming but then neither did the Polish in 1938 from the man of the year. We could and have had national crisis where the DF came in to help out during snow storms and other bad weather. Its not the day you want the army you go to build one. You are talking about cold war scenario. I believe the future for the European Armies will be part of integrated defence and overseas missions in Africa and Western Asia. We are "integrated" in the European Union battle group and that is how we will function, not as a standalone army.

I take the point about the skilled PO that is a fitter / mechanic etc.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that there are a lot of low skilled or unskilled soldiers.

My dad for example was a driver. Pretty low skilled. Why is there an expectation now that a unskilled role such as this in the army warrants a high salary? Or for the soldier doing security on a gate ?

Its not an easy thing to resolve I know.

But I absolutely believe that somebody that sees the salary before they apply, goes through the recruitment before accepting the job and signing the contract has no right to turn around and say that they pay is crap and I am unhappy.

You are blaming the DF for carrying out the orders of government.
    I served in the military, you are required to obey all legal orders issued by your superior officers who are in turn ordered to carry out certain tasks by government.
    What damage you think has been done is solely the responsibility of the politicians who tasked them to carry out the operations in the Med.

I doubt the order was constitutionally legal.

• Advertisement

Dude89 wrote: »
    Said before the age limit for recruitment should be raised to 35 like every other army.

why? It is harder to train older people plus carrying injuries. then value for money for the taxpayer. After 25 it is much harder to train people who have never experienced military culture. Its not that simple. You find very few people joining the military after 30 and completing training.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Cyclical Apocalypse

I agree the age limit for joining is ridiculous just to join the regular army you have to be under 25 it should be raised to 35 like most other armies

Kindly explain your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

On what grounds?

Its the DFs job to go where the government tells it and do what it tells it.

Kindly explain your comment.

Liaising with people smugglers and bringing illegal immigrants to the EU was not done in the interest of the Irish state. Arguably it was treasonous. The ‘order’ should have been refused and then challenged through the courts.

Tzardine wrote: »

But I absolutely believe that somebody that sees the salary before they apply, goes through the recruitment before accepting the job and signing the contract has no right to turn around and say that they pay is crap and I am unhappy.

The paycheque in the DF is not the same as the one in Civilian life. The civilian gets paid for the hours they do or the job they do. The defence force pay cheque is much more complex and is made up of hours, technicians pay, duties, missions, experience, rank and gratuity.

If the contract was changed half way through your career then you have to make some very very serious decision.

Liaising with people smugglers and bringing illegal immigrants to the EU was not done in the interest of the Irish state. Arguably it was treasonous. The ‘order’ should have been refused and then challenged through the courts.

The Navy was tasked by the government to carry out a humanitarian mission, which is a legal use of our DF. A legal order cannot be refused and your comment basically shows nothing other than ignorance of our DF and contempt for the suffering migrants.

I agree the age limit for joining is ridiculous just to join the regular army you have to be under 25 it should be raised to 35 like most other armies

Have you completed training? I would not like to do basic training at 30. I wouldnt like to do it 25. If you really wanted to do it you would do it between 18-22. Why would you want do to it at 30+ when you have peaked?

The Navy was tasked by the government to carry out a humanitarian mission, which is a legal use of our DF. A legal order cannot be refused and your comment basically shows nothing other than ignorance of our DF and contempt for the suffering migrants.

Suffering of migrants. What a joke. Have you not copped on the the presence of the ships encouraged the people smugglers to step up their efforts to smuggle as many people as possible. The ships basically picked them up off the coast of Libya and dropped them off in Europe. Lots of doctors and engineers I’m sure. lots of fools hoodwinked.

• Advertisement

I agree it is illegal to bring in illegal immigrants that way but it is also illegal to ignore an order from the Minister/EU Central Naval Command in Brussels.

Advertisement