Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defence forces facing crisis

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I don't believe the MOD hires in armourers, they train military personnel to do it. You are right about calibration, but it being the MOD they get charged an arm and a leg for the service no doubt.

Doesnt sound right to me either unless it is some serious optical stuff that has to go back to the manufacturer for after sales or the disaster that was the L85. You wouldnt get a civilian into the the field on an overseas mission for any of that crap. For day to day stuff, broken firing pins, barrel replacement, spring replacement in the magazines it can be done by a regular armourer. Most weapons are made well to last a life time and get fired seldom, maybe once a year at most for annual training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Doesnt sound right to me either unless it is some serious optical stuff that has to go back to the manufacturer for after sales or the disaster that was the L85. You wouldnt get a civilian into the the field on an overseas mission for any of that crap. For day to day stuff, broken firing pins, barrel replacement, spring replacement in the magazines it can be done by a regular armourer. Most weapons are made well to last a life time and get fired seldom, maybe once a year at most for annual training.

To be fair, maybe that is what the poster meant. People get hired in for the big jobs. I mean I know for a fact armourers are trained in service and would deploy on big exercises or range packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Keogh is like something out of Kilnascully, talk about someone out of their depth doing serious damage to a portfolio like defence that will take decades to rectify. Arrogant and thick rolled into one!

Advertisement