Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Hot Fast Food Vans etc: YOUR OWN GOOD & BAD experiences

Options
  • 27-07-2019 3:32pm

Have you watched "The Van" movie with Colm Meaney? I would say there are a good swath of younger boardsies who haven't bought from a chipper van.
    There used to be a mobile Chinese Food van beside Rathfarnham village.
    Gone years now.
    Do you or do you know anyone who still buys hot food like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You reminded me of the mobile Chinese that somehow managed to get away with parking in a car park on the Ballinteer Road just outside Dundrum in the early 80's. Maybe they moved to/from Rathfarnham. I can still taste it now, really good food. :)

Hey, I'm deadly sincere, I 've even a MODEL 1/76 scale mobile fast food vehicle. But the Models Forum is full of drone fans droning on these days.

486639.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,083 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We get a mobile catering van into the office on Pancake Tuesday to make crepes and pancakes. Get through 200 + in 90 minutes. Lovely crepes too.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,797 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The burger van that does the market rotations in Dublin is up there for best burgers going. Was run by Tribal in Belfast but it looks like the manager has taken over so it's called Burger Cartel now. They occasionally vanish for festivals

Kerala Kitchen starred off as a tent at those markets and limited menu as it is for those, its very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You reminded me of the mobile Chinese that somehow managed to get away with parking in a car park on the Ballinteer Road just outside Dundrum in the early 80's. Maybe they moved to/from Rathfarnham. I can still taste it now, really good food. :)

It was in the Our Ladies girls school car park.

There was loads for a few years and then the all disappeared, bar one that still parks beside Killinarden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Del2005 wrote: »
    It was in the Our Ladies girls school car park.

There was loads for a few years and then the all disappeared, bar one that still parks beside Killinarden.

The one I was thinking of was here, the car park was larger then
    https://goo.gl/maps/9deTiqVYVTJZZZRk6

(Dundrum’s changed so much since I was a teenager!)

I see nobody has mentioned the establishments that trade at the foot of Dun Laoghaire pier. The customers look quite respectable too. Note to self : must try some food there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Theres a mobile Thai Van that comes to Trim every weekend. Really tasty food, not the cheapest, but theyre always busy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Bad experience:
    Probably 20 years ago in Thurles after a match. A customer asked for vinegar on his punnet of chips and the chip van person went to spray some out of a plastic finches (or similar) bottle. Anyway - the vinegar sprays everywhere except into the chips so what does the filthy disgusting bast*rd of a chip van man do but put his hand in front of the bottle to that the vinegar sprayed against the palm of his hand - which looked like it hadn't been washed any time recently and allowed the vinegar to run down his filthy fingers and into the chips.
    I still shudder and they weren't even my chips. I decided to wait till I got home to eat that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Ugh that sounds so gross, I’m ill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You've been carrying that with you for 20 years.
    Let it out.
    Let it out.

Better now?

Today's Friday 13th: Don't buy from a chip can today of all days folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

You've been carrying that with you for 20 years.
    Let it out.
    Let it out.

Better now?

I'm still in recovery. Some things just scar you.

I mean......the dirty bast*ard.....how could he!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

There was a Chinese van that used to park down the end of housing estate. My folks didn't order out but the lad across the road was sent out every weekend.

I was down setting fireworks off around it one night. Another night a friend convinced me to point an imitation handgun in through the hatch at them. Wow, that lady was fast on the draw. She reached up above the hatch and threw something at me. Bounced off the sleeve of my bomber jacket as I was just starting to pedal away on my BMX.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Was a van in our area late eighties. Run by one of the vietnamese boat people who had come into Ireland at the time. Such a lovely man, so humble. We were young but our treat was roast breast chicken (it came with fried onions) and chips and curry sauce. Food was delicious and he was there for a good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

anewme wrote: »
    Was a van in our area late eighties. Run by one of the vietnamese boat people who had come into Ireland at the time. Such a lovely man, so humble. We were young but our treat was roast breast chicken (it came with fried onions) and chips and curry sauce. Food was delicious and he was there for a good few years.

Same here , (not the same man I don't think!) , their food was always in demand . They went on to open a takeaway here , still doing great business .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not something we would ever see over here... ;) Never ever used one even in my mainland days.. offshore island ….I did hear there used to be a mobile shop on a boat years ago....

Advertisement