Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self clinging evergreen climber suggestion (on the cheap!)

Options
  • 27-07-2019 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I’m trying to figure out how to cover a very ugly wall which is in front of our estate green area.

It feels like the best solution would be a self clinging evergreen. Not as many leaves to tidy, and happy to wait a little longer for coverage.

The problem is, the residents assoc don’t have much money and we have to cover approx 80 ft of a 12 ft high wall (a lot of coverage), so to buy in enough plants to cover this area would be huge money. The wall is also north facing

Are there any suggestions on self clinging varieties which would be easy to grow from seed or could be bought cheap as saplings?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Cotoneaster horizontalis. would work,

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Babslovesshoes

Hi folks,

I’m trying to figure out how to cover a very ugly wall which is in front of our estate green area.

It feels like the best solution would be a self clinging evergreen. Not as many leaves to tidy, and happy to wait a little longer for coverage.

The problem is, the residents assoc don’t have much money and we have to cover approx 80 ft of a 12 ft high wall (a lot of coverage), so to buy in enough plants to cover this area would be huge money. The wall is also north facing

Are there any suggestions on self clinging varieties which would be easy to grow from seed or could be bought cheap as saplings?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Ivy.
    http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20141008-why-should-i-love-ivy

Cheap, evergreen, low maintenance, native, great habitat and pollinator.
    Also good on north facing, in fact if you see ivy on a tree it specifically tries to grow on the north side. Apparently it’s how scouts know their orientation if it’s cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not an ivy fan, but in this case I think its your best solution. You will need to keep it trimmed every couple of years when it gets full grown though. The main thing is to stop a large amount piling up on top of the wall, it will create a 'sail' effect which could bring the wall down. Provided it is kept chopped / hacked down though it will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'd suggest Passiflora (passion flower), it just grows and grows, lovely flowers and (inedible) orange coloured fruits in Autumn. Evergreen too.

Might need a bit of help to start off like wires or such. Then it romps off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Ivy.
    http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20141008-why-should-i-love-ivy

Cheap, evergreen, low maintenance, native, great habitat and pollinator.
    Also good on north facing, in fact if you see ivy on a tree it specifically tries to grow on the north side. Apparently it’s how scouts know their orientation if it’s cloudy.

Thanks. Is there a specific name or is it just the standard ivy you see growing everywhere?

I think I may have seen some saplings sprouting so I will pot them on and see how it goes. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Babslovesshoes

Thanks. Is there a specific name or is it just the standard ivy you see growing everywhere?

I think I may have seen some saplings sprouting so I will pot them on and see how it goes. Thanks

Hedera helix is the botanical name for common ivy.
    Also Hedera hibernica.
    Nice description on propagating ivy:
    http://www.permanentprocrastination.com/2016/01/grow-ivy-from-cutting.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=1032

Plus1 for ivy. The link includes many links to many variety. Mix for some variation on a solid monotone green wall.

Geoff Hamilton on Gardiners World (yes that long ago) recommended planting and pinning the foliage horizontal along the base of the wall rather than directing vertically up the wall. Its nature is to climb.

You could do it for nothing but labour by way of semi ripe cuttings from anywhere ivy is growing - with permission of course! This will take a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd be inclined to go for one /some of the variegated ones - they do tend to revert if they really get going but it provides a bit of variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Souness

I'd second the cotoneaster, nice dark green foliage and abundance of berries in winter. Needs a little training but takes care of itself and much easier to control than ivy.

edit:As the wall is so large and north facing I would think ivy is your quickest realistic option.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

looksee wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to go for one /some of the variegated ones - they do tend to revert if they really get going but it provides a bit of variety.

Likewise, though some of the thin leaved varieties are also quite attractive and the more decorative types in my experience are rather less invasive than the common form.

Edit: Was thinking of needlepoint ivy, but there appears to be quite a few types. I'll post a pic of the stuff I've used on a more inhospitable wall when I get a moment.

Edit2: These are what I had in mind, though I've also got a few other species mixed in that are starting to take over.

487094.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement