Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues after Sale agreeing house

Options
  • 27-07-2019 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

I use the word "issue" lightly; I am a first-time single buyer. I have been saving for years to get the money for a house, and I am so excited to have sale agreed my dream home.

I sale agreed in May of this year, the vendor was moving down the country and stated they would be out by Sept/October. Which I am fine with, however, I do also rent and need to give two months notice to my landlord when I am leaving.

Since sale agreeing there has been a lot of pressure from the EA/Vendor to get the ball rolling (to which I have.) I mentioned that I wanted the house surveyed but given the timelines I didn't see any rush. They put pressure on me to get it done so I did back in June, a week or so later according to the estate agent the vendor was "concerned that the bank had not been out." No problem, two days later the bank were out.

I have everything on my side done; I am ready to sign the contracts. I followed up on this last week, and the EA said the family would be out the first week of September. Having spoken to my solicitor, she laughed off the notion and stated that the vendor solicitor had not even sent over contracts after the EA pushing me saying "the family are asking me has your solicitor been reviewing the contracts."

In short, I am incredibly anxious and slightly confused as to whether or not I am dealing with an incredibly shady EA who is telling me lies after lies or the family are getting cold feet.

My solicitor mentioned that the vendor solicitor has stated that they will not have the contracts ready until the end of September - where is the EA getting a move-in date as the first week of September?

Is this the norm??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭GIMP

My advice, ignore the EA, they just want their comission. You are paying a solicitor to represent you, let them do the negotiations and go with the closing date the sellers solicitors will advise.

I have had to deal with four different EAs over the past year, one was excellent, one extremely laid back, one very vague and one was border line maniac with the pushiness and frequency of calls.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The estate agent doesn't get paid until you hand over cold hard cash- and accordingly is pushing things along so they get their pound of flesh.
    You need to get your solicitor to take soundings with the vendors solicitor- to try and get a better grasp of actual timelines.
    Just because something suits the estate agent- doesn't mean it suits either you or the seller- the estate agent has their own agenda in all of this.........

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your solicitor should be driving matters now. I would be asking why your solicitor hasn’t yet received the contracts. That should have happened pretty quickly after going sale agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I have had very little dealings with the EA of the property we are buying since going sale agreed.
    Almost all dealings are now through the solicitors.
    The only dealings I've had since then with the EA is to arrange for a survey.
    Definitely listen to your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I can't remember dealing with the EA once after we went sale agreed. Everything moved to the solicitors and us to get the insurance and mortgage etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The issue might also be compounded by the fact that loads of solicitors take holidays in August making it hard to get things done in a timely manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Unless you have reason to believe the seller's solicitors aren't killing themselves or are dragging their feet you shouldn't need to have contact with the auctioneer.
    In my experience, auctioneers think they know the legal side of property conveyancing inside out and can be very convincing in the way they communicate this to you. The truth is your solicitor is the only person you listen to as they are acting on your behalf. The auctioneer just wants to get the deal to contract signing stage so they know they will get paid..

Advertisement