Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie 2019 Draft Quarter Final Game 2 - Ferris_Bueller vs IncognitoMan

• 27-07-2019 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭

The second of the Quarter Finals

Ferris_Bueller vs IncognitoMan

If you want to use a site to set your side out these are good:

https://this11.com/#!/editor/

https://www.buildlineup.com/

Each poster can go as in detail as you wish in your write-ups including set up for your own side. Once the two posters have set out their teams they are allowed one post each to explain their gameplan against their opposition (exposing the other team's weakness or to draw attention to a player they think doesn't work in the other team etc).

If one team does not set put their side/tactics inside a 24hr period they will automatically forfeit the tie.

Anyone can vote, in the event of a close tie I will go through the tread and count the votes of people who posted and outlined their winner.

Do not cast a vote until both posters have submitted their teams.

Poll will close after 24 hours

Good luck to both posters.

Who wins? 14 votes

Ferris_Bueller
    50% 7 votes
    IncognitoMan
    50% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

So my team will set up in an initial state as following
    Initial state/defensive shape

7NFsU17.png

It will be largely split into two sections the attacking section and the defensive/support section.

The front three in Fowler, Hasselbaink and Ozil will make up the attacking section and will stay up the pitch when in defensive shape to occupy opposition center backs and defensive midfielder. This will offer my defensive/support section very clear out balls when they win the ball back for quick counter attack football with Hasselbaink being particularly good at winning the ball.

The defensive/support side will offer support to the front 3 when on the attack from two excellent full backs who can get up and down the pitch and two world class box to box midfielders.

Only one full back will fully commit themselves up the pitch at a time so the back line doesn't become stretched leaving balls in behind Terry and Adams.

Matic will also drop a little deeper in this phase to maintain a solid structure.

Ince/Ballack will be allowed get forward on the opposite side to the advancing full back to offer a late run into the box/ pick up an over hit cross/ pass.

Example below when Cole goes forward. Matic drops, Ballack holds his position to offer a triangle passing option with Ozil and Cole. Ince pulls slightly wide. Kelly offers support but doesn't over commit up the flank.

Same idea when Kelly goes but flipped.
    Attacking
    a5ZawsH.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Sorry guys not online properly until later tonight but I will go with the same set up as last time if someone can copy the starting XI from the last match thread.

I think this game will be a cagier affair and a low scoring game, both teams seem to cancel each other out in key areas rather than exploit weaknesses in their opponents team. I think my centre halves and Kante will be capable of dealing with Incognito Mans front 2 and Ozil. Ozil in particular is key to stop as if you can take him out of the game I think IMs game plan is really in trouble as he is playing so narrow with Ozil the only real link between midfield and attack.

He has a great defence in fairness and Wright will struggle against his centre halves but I think Gerrard and Son could have some joy up against Matic and Kelly, and my full backs will have free reign down the wings as well if my two wide players drift inside like they have so much for their clubs with clever runs into the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

0mXe2gV.png

When I started the draft I’ll admit I did not have much of an idea what kind of team I would select or even what shape or system they would play, however once Gerrard was chosen as my first pick it was always going to have to be set up to accommodate him at his prime. The way I ended up going with my team is very similar to the peak Benitez era Liverpool team.

Defence
    At the back I have four very solid defenders, two of whom I’d say are up there with the very best in their positions in Vidic and Ivanovic. Vidic and Vermaelen should partner each other well at the back, both were leaders on the pitch and will compliment each other in the sense that Vidic will be the aggressive defender who will attack aerial balls and close down the opposition whilst Vermaelen will sit off and read the game more, he is also well capable of playing out from the back when necessary, although my team is not intended to be a tiki-taka possession based team. Ivanovic is an incredible right back, defensively he is possibly the best there has ever been in the league and he had a great engine to get forward if not the most cumbersome. Le Saux is a premier league winner and has a very successful and long career at the top level, he will primarily stick to defensive duties and prohibit crosses from Solano. Vidic, Ivanovic and Vermaelen are all big threats from set pieces too and have good goalscoring records for defenders. Of course these are all propped up by Courtois in goals, who at his peak was a world class goalkeeper for Chelsea and won two league titles with them and a golden glove along the way. He is a complete goalkeeper who has no obvious weakness and was great at commanding his area which will be important in this match as I presume getting the ball into Kane will be one of duffmans main threats.

Midfield
    The midfield is where I think I will win this game and I think when comparing my midfield to duffmans there is a significant gap in quality. Kante is the best (himself or Makelele) holding midfielder the league has seen, he will do what he does best and sit deep, be aggressive, win the ball and make a lot of interceptions before giving it off to more creative players. His sheer athleticism alone will keep Le Tissier in his pocket, who has a lot of talent but there has to be question marks about him performing at the very very top level, there is a reason he only has 8 caps for England. Gerrard then is this teams obvious talisman, he will play fairly high up the pitch in support of Wright similar to himself and Torres of that Benitez/Liverpool team. Not many teams could handle Gerrard during this period and he is such a threat for both scoring and creating goals, he will be given a bit of a free role where he can roam and pick up threatening positions but won’t have to worry too much about the defensive side of the game with the two men behind him. Arteta I think was a shrewd pick as he knits it altogether, as I said my team won’t be relying heavily on holding onto the ball at all costs but he can dictate the tempo of a game, will seek for the ball off my defensive players and be able to supply my forward players such as Gerrard, Wright, Ljungberg and Son.

Forwards
    Ljungberg and Son will have a lot of joy against Coleman and Harte I would think. They are both extremely good at making runs into the box and having Gerrard/Arteta hitting through balls for them to get onto and in behind Harte/Coleman will bring a lot of joy for my side IMO. They are quick and strong wingers with an eye for goal and the knack of popping up in the box at the right time, this was something the Liverpool team of that era was missing big time, and I think if they had wingers of this quality they would have comfortably won a few league titles. In Ian Wright then I have a clinical striker who has notched over 100 premier league goals for Arsenal and broke 30 goals in all comps in 4 out of 5 seasons. He could score every type of goal, had pace and had good link up play and I intend for Gerrard to play quite high up to him so he is not left isolated.

Will I remove wall of text? Ferris has put his stuff in his own post.

Going with incognito man here. Think that his team is one of the most balanced sides there is. Three of the back four holding the line while Cole bring with and he'd have joy vs the slower ivanovic. Playing through IMs team would be a nightmare and while kante is good covering a think he'd have two much to do vs ozil and the 2 cms, arteta I don't think provides enough help here considering the quality opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Great match up here guys and I'll admit to not reading much if the tactics but I think incognito has a better lineup that's full of stars that looks like they would work together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Gonna go with Ferris just about, think his midfield is stronger and Kante will clean up a lot of breaks. Just dont trust Ozil and not sure on JFH and Fowler as a combo. The left side of Ferris defence is poor enough imo but theres not much threat from IM team there with no RW and Kelly not much threat there as Son will keep him occupied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Wtf, who deleted my post? No wonder this game has gone to crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Going to go with IM. Think it would be a tight affair but I think IM has a stronger defence so going with a tight 1-0 victory.

RasTa wrote: »
    Wtf, who deleted my post? No wonder this game has gone to crap

What was your post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'd go with Ferris just slightly on this one, both teams well matched but Ferris team looks like it would be a bit more hard working and offer more pace going forward. Close one though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m going for Ferris here by the narrowest of margins. I just think that midfield is superb and you have someone like Gerrard who can make the difference in a tight game. Son would case Kelly a couple of problems too, even though Ljungberg would be shut down by Cole. Even with IM’s narrow formation presumably designed to win the midfield battle, I could see terrorising Ozil and shutting down a lot of the creative threat from that midfield. On the other side of things, IM’s attack is a little better, but if you can’t get a foothold in midfield (difficult up against Kante) and get the ball to the strikers, it doesn’t make a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Gonna go with Ferris here, thing he has great balance throughout the team and the left hand side will cause alot of problems for Kelly, he is definitely set up to take advantage, it will be a close game though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm going to vote for Incognito as I think defensively he will be able to handle that creative axis of Son, Gerrard, and Ljunberg. I''m not a massive fan of his attack but I think he would come through in this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Ferris for me... More balanced team I feel. IM full backs are going to have provide all the width themselves while also dealing with Son & Ljunberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Very tough one to call as others mentioned.

I like Ferris' attack a lot, although if anyone has a defence to nullify it then it's IM. Not sure Ljungberg can influence the game much against Cole, peak Matic will shadow Gerrard constantly, while Wright I think would struggle against Adams and Cole. The left flank, however, I think can be good for Ferris. Son will fancy his chances against Kelly, and Le Saux shouldn't be underestimated - he has the second most assists for a defender behind Baines if I recall correctly.

At the other end for IM's attack I think Hasselbaink and Fowler would have moments over the contest against the V&V CB combo. Le Saux and Ivanovic are clever enough to help out when required, but I believe one of the two strikers gets on the scoresheet at some stage.

In midfield I think it would be an even contest. I can't see much between them there.

This match for me would be a cagey tie with little separating the sides. I see slightly more individual brilliance in the Ferris side and I think that could be the difference. Perhaps a Gerrard drive from the edge of the box to settle it. I'd lean towards Ferris in a 2-1 win.

Congrats Ferris. I count it as a 6-4 win to you

Advertisement