Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exporting data from Excel

Options
  • 27-07-2019 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have an Excel sheet which I would like to export into a formatted table so end users can print out, but not sure which is the best way to do this.

The excel sheet has approx 100 columns and approximately 820 rows. I would like to export some (not all) of the Column data for each of the 820 rows. This will be exported to a more pleasant formatted presentation ( a table in word, or another worksheet within the same Excel file, I’m open to suggestions) which will be printed out by end users.

The table will show the relevant data for one row at a time only (I think, again I’m open to suggestions). So the end user will click on file - print to print the table at that particular point. Users will not be printing every row (not 820 rows), but will be printing maybe 100 or more rows.

How’s the best way to get the data into the table and then printed?

Hope this sounds reasonably clear.

Thanks p,
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

A couple of questions which may help in providing a solution

Is the data going to be edited in any form in the exported "pleasantly formatted presentation" or is this only to enable printing of the selected data because I am thinking of a print to PDF option or saving selected data as PDF

Are the selected rows and columns always going to be the same i.e will it always be Column A,C,F,H, J and O for example for selected rows or could that change on a case by case basis.

And finally how do you determine which rows are required. Is there some information in the spreadsheet which dictates the rows you want to export or will it vary on a case by case basis

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

cunavalos wrote: »
    A couple of questions which may help in providing a solution

Is the data going to be edited in any form in the exported "pleasantly formatted presentation" or is this only to enable printing of the selected data because I am thinking of a print to PDF option or saving selected data as PDF
    Only printing, no editing
    Are the selected rows and columns always going to be the same i.e will it always be Column A,C,F,H, J and O for example for selected rows or could that change on a case by case basis.
    Columns will always be the same.
    The row data will provide each new table for possible printing
    And finally how do you determine which rows are required. Is there some information in the spreadsheet which dictates the rows you want to export or will it vary on a case by case basis

The data in each row is personal data for one person. So one row = one person’s data. The end user will scroll through the data in the table (not in the worksheet containing all the data) row by row and then choose to file print for the people they want, but I’m sure there is a more efficient way of searching through the data.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I hope your GDPR policies are much better than ability handling Excel sheet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

kboc wrote: »
    Only printing, no editing

Columns will always be the same.
    The row data will provide each new table for possible printing

The data in each row is personal data for one person. So one row = one person’s data. The end user will scroll through the data in the table (not in the worksheet containing all the data) row by row and then choose to file print for the people they want, but I’m sure there is a more efficient way of searching through the data.

Thanks,
    Kevin

What's the personal data and why do the end users need it?

Advertisement