Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elcb trip switch

Options
  • 28-07-2019 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Please help. My elcb switch won't stay up. I have plugged everything out and it still won't stay up. Can't afford an electrician , is there anything else I can do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Is the immersion heater in your hot water cylinder turned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Turn down all breakers , turn up rcd/elcb , if it stays up then reset the breakers one at a time , until you find the one that's causing the trip. Leave that one down , this should restore most of your power

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1

Tripping is frequently caused by the ingress of water, so look around socket outlets for wetness. Also have you unplugged the washing machine and dishwasher? These are prime suspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

kramer1 wrote: »
    Turn down all breakers , turn up rcd/elcb , if it stays up then reset the breakers one at a time , until you find the one that's causing the trip. Leave that one down , this should restore most of your power

This is the thing to follow, as others have said though is everything actually unplugged or just what you can get to? Washing machine, fridge dryer. Heating system and immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This happened to my brother's box earlier this week, in his case different circuits would trip the RCD at different times with nothing plugged in.

In the end he changed the RCD, €35, problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The Cush wrote: »
    This happened to my brother's box earlier this week, in his case different circuits would trip the RCD at different times with nothing plugged in.

In the end he changed the RCD, €35, problem solved.

Your brother was lucky as a faulty RCD is probably the least likely cause of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

salmocab wrote: »
    Your brother was lucky as a faulty RCD is probably the least likely cause of it.

A little off topic but I had a very unusual RCD tripping problem a few years ago, I tried all the usual remidies but even with the RCD tripped I was still getting a full (o ohms resistance) between neutral and earth in any of the sockets in the house, the fault would disappear but over a 2 to 3 day period would re occur at random times, I even swapped the RCD for the shower RCBO and still no good, eventually the problem disappeared (neutral to earth resistance; infinity) and never returned, original RCD still in use.

My query; How, or is Is it possible to get a apparent full short, neutral to earth, from a external source in the conditions described above?, I have a 1972 built house with fuses and I think a TCNS system with a earthing rod in the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

Please help. My elcb switch won't stay up. I have plugged everything out and it still won't stay up. Can't afford an electrician , is there anything else I can do

a long shot but has anyone carried out any carpentry work recently, driving nails here and there?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

John.G wrote: »
    A little off topic but I had a very unusual RCD tripping problem a few years ago, I tried all the usual remidies but even with the RCD tripped I was still getting a full (o ohms resistance) between neutral and earth in any of the sockets in the house, the fault would disappear but over a 2 to 3 day period would re occur at random times, I even swapped the RCD for the shower RCBO and still no good, eventually the problem disappeared (neutral to earth resistance; infinity) and never returned, original RCD still in use.

My query; How, or is Is it possible to get a apparent full short, neutral to earth, from a external source in the conditions described above?, I have a 1972 built house with fuses and I think a TCNS system with a earthing rod in the garage.

That would be a neutral to earth short or near short on one of the circuits. Sometimes slight movement can cause it to make and break again.

Or an appliance with the short in it was plugged out and in. If a low load is used on circuits other than the affected one, the RCD can stay on, so it can seem intermittent due to varying loads, as well as the short disappearing.

A test with a meggar might possibly still find it in your case, if it was a nicked cable against the corner of a steel socket box which is another example of how they occur.

When they do occur, all the neutrals should be disconnected from the RCD neutral bar, and RCD mcbs switched off, and tested to find which one is the problem.

Double pole RCBOs on all circuits would be a big advantage for these faults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

John.G wrote: »
    a long shot but has anyone carried out any carpentry work recently, driving nails here and there?.

That does happen now and again. I seen two coving nails go between a T&E N and E twice on the same leg of cable, in two separate rooms before.

After finding the first nail, there was still a short. I had the cable between the 2 sockets isolated and then found the second nail right above the other socket after scraping away the paint. High odds against that in two drops, each with two T&Es, and nailing between the N and E both times in the same piece of cable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement