Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women not happy being slapped in the face by balls

• 28-07-2019 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/irfu-forced-to-tackle-fans-hit-by-rugby-balls-at-the-aviva-73zzdjfr7

Two women are taking separate legal actions for damages after being hit in the face by rugby balls while attending matches at the Aviva.

Given the size and speed of a rugby ball, if you've been hit in the face it's because you've not been paying attention. Were these women chattering to friends or busy updating their instagram profiles at the time?

Is this another example another of Ireland's claims-culture going off the rails?

Comments

Pair of money grabbing gowls.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/irfu-forced-to-tackle-fans-hit-by-rugby-balls-at-the-aviva-73zzdjfr7

Two women are taking separate legal actions for damages after being hit in the face by rugby balls while attending matches at the Aviva.

Given the size and speed of a rugby ball, if you've been hit in the face it's because you've not been paying attention. Were these women chattering to friends or busy updating their instagram profiles at the time?

Is this another example another of Ireland's claims-culture going off the rails?

I'm going to hell I thought this post was about something else :eek::D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Why don't they put nets up to stop them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I've no issue if they suffered a serious injury. There was a lady lost an eye at a golf tournament last year and I presume she was appropriately compensated, which is right imo even for an accident but this sounds like two chancers, without knowing any of the detail

I better read the article now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

You're at a game, thems the risks. As someone said it should be easy enough to see them coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

High nets the whole way around the pitch? Also smae could happen in GAA or soccer so would all sports need it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jesus.

I was in Yankee stadium a few years back and the seats had a notice saying “you’re in foul ball territory, if you’re not happy with that let a steward know and they’ll move you”. Do we need that now?

This is madness on another level, don't go to a rugby match if you're that delicate. Balls fly into the terrace/stand all the time, if you're not paying attention then tough. These claimants should be laughed out of court.

Because it’s a rugby match, not a childrens play centre.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I've no issue if they suffered a serious injury. There was a lady lost an eye at a golf tournament last year and I presume she was appropriately compensated, which is right imo even for an accident but this sounds like two chancers, without knowing any of the detail

I better read the article now

Except you can't, it's behind a paywall (at least for me anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm sure they will give it a good try

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

This is madness on another level, don't go to a rugby match if you're that delicate. Balls fly into the terrace/stand all the time, if you're not paying attention then tough. These claimants should be laughed out of court.

Theres a solution to the insurance problem in there somewhere, should be a laugh them out of court policy introduced.

I wouldn't be too happy if a ball hit me in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

It wouldn't hit you in the face if your paying attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

The title of this thread could be interpreted in a totally different way tbh.......

Best either pay attention then or simply not attend a rugby match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Nor would I but would you accept that if you’re at a match there’s a likelihood it could happen and that it’s not really anyone else’s fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Not sure how you can get hit.....the ball comes anywhere near the stand and you will have a couple of hundred people calling it and about 20 trying to catch it

Of course you could be an idiot

It would represent a valuable loss of selfie time. I've been to dozens to rugby matches and managed to deflect a few missiles by actually watching the game. Very little sympathy otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Why can't they have catchers like they do in American baseball? Only reason I watch it tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

Imagine if those claims get awarded. What happens then at a game of u12 rugby where a spectator on the sidelines gets a ball in the face? I suppose the mental trauma, embarrassment and indignation it might result in would warrant 20 or 30k....

As for putting nets up, that's a ridiculous notion. Fair enough, possibly for hurling, cricket or a sport where the ball is capable of seriously (arguably) hurting someone, but a large inflatable ball that most children are allowed to play with unsupervised? Bollocx to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

High nets the whole way around the pitch? Also smae could happen in GAA or soccer so would all sports need it?

There usually are nets behind the goalposts at GAA pitches, aren't there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Not Madigan Solicitors again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Can't read the article. What are the suing for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

RasTa wrote: »

Johnny Sexton's kicking.

RasTa wrote: »

Going to a rugby match and being hit in the face with a rugby ball.

Sounds to me like two clowns who shouldn't have been there in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

kikilarue2 wrote: »
    There usually are nets behind the goalposts at GAA pitches, aren't there?

That’s because the balls wouldn’t come back. ....

Touch lines kick are also a part of rugby.

If this happened to me i would totally use it to get them to pay for my nose job not gonna lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

If they didn't want to be hit, they shouldn't have gone to the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Now if ever a thread title in After Hours got my hopes up...

If this happened to me i would totally use it to get them to pay for my nose job not gonna lie.

Maybe a rugby ball in the face would help without needing surgery afterwards.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

fmpisces wrote: »
    I'm going to hell I thought this post was about something else :eek::D:D:D

Come off it - the OP wanted everyone to think that, and I think you know it, which is why they used the word 'slapped' instead of 'hit'. Slapping involves being struck by something that is attached to something else, so a ball flying free can never 'slap'

Fake shock at a fake title.

branie2 wrote: »
    If they didn't want to be hit, they shouldn't have gone to the match.

Woah, woah, woah there!

You're basically saying they were asking for it. :eek:

Munster supporter, am I right? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

As someone in the comments on the article said put a disclaimer on the tickets, 'while ball in play etc'

Two chancers

cnocbui wrote: »
    Come off it - the OP wanted everyone to think that, and I think you know it, which is why they used the word 'slapped' instead of 'hit'. Slapping involves being struck by something that is attached to something else, so a ball flying free can never 'slap'

Good on you there. Fair play. To hell with a sense of humour, right?

• Advertisement

They should be allowed throw a ball back at the guy who did it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Do you seriously think that's a good idea.....

Imagine having to try and look through said net and your eyes would go to sh1te....

How could one not see a pair of balls coming at them is beyond me....

What did they think they were attending a match of men running around with no balls....

Do you seriously think that's a good idea.....

Imagine having to try and look through said net and your eyes would go to sh1te....

How could one not see a pair of balls coming at them is beyond me....

What did they think they were attending a match of men running around with no balls....
    A pair???:eek:

And yes all my ideas are genius ...just very ahead of their time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

They weren't sitting on swings at the time were they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

A pair???:eek:

And yes all my ideas are genius ...just very ahead of their time..

Oh was this not in the bedroom?

• Advertisement

RichT wrote: »
    They weren't sitting on swings at the time were they?

Nah, they were wearing green shirts, not blue shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Quandary wrote: »
    I suppose the mental trauma, embarrassment and indignation it might result in would warrant 20 or 30k....

More scarleh than scarlet that’s where we’re at

A good garryowen point blank wouldn’t go astray there. Lift them right off their feet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Why can't they have catchers like they do in American baseball? Only reason I watch it tbf.

The spectators are the catchers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Were they injured? If yes, then I don't have a problem with it.

I'd imagine a full force whack of a rugby ball "at speed" could cause significant injury to someone's face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

These were two high profile games. There must be footage out there somewhere of these gowls getting hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It’s probably not politically correct to say it, but it would be better if women weren’t allowed attend rugby internationals anyway. They tend not to have a clue what’s going on, are easily distracted, screech instead of shout, and are using up a seat that could be given to a proper rugby fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

AulWan wrote: »
    Were they injured? If yes, then I don't have a problem with it.

I'd imagine a full force whack of a rugby ball "at speed" could cause significant injury to someone's face.

Hhurrrdydurrr ..

It’s probably not politically correct to say it, but it would be better if women weren’t allowed attend rugby internationals anyway. They tend not to have a clue what’s going on, are easily distracted, screech instead of shout, and are using up a seat that could be given to a proper rugby fan.

What will the wags and wannabe wags do? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Thread title disappoints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

JayZeus wrote: »
    Good on you there. Fair play. To hell with a sense of humour, right?

My apologies, it's been a while since I was 14.

• Advertisement
Advertisement