Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women not happy being slapped in the face by balls

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

What will the wags and wannabe wags do? :mad:

Why they'll all do Johnny, naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

kikilarue2 wrote: »
    There usually are nets behind the goalposts at GAA pitches, aren't there?

Yeah but tbh I think that was brought in so you wouldn't have to collect the balls in training. Anyway balls go over the sideline too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

pair of scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Were they from Dalkey by any chance? Sound like the kind of people who shouldn't really be let out on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

pair of scumbags.

Harsh. Chancers at worst. And if as one person mentioned one of them has lost sight in one eye it’s hard not to feel some sympathy although I don’t believe it’s anyone else’s fault. But not exactly a scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Collie D wrote: »
    Harsh. Chancers at worst. And if as one person mentioned one of them has lost sight in one eye it’s hard not to feel some sympathy although I don’t believe it’s anyone else’s fault. But not exactly a scumbag.
    "scumbag" is a broad church. i would call anyone trying to squeeze a wad of cash out of an organisation for what was an act of god a scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

It's your own ****ing fault if you can't be arsed following the play and making sure you are in a position to react to a ball coming your way.

Hopefully this gets kicked into touch soon and we can try and get some semblance of order on this compo culture that's crippling the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Hoboo

It’s probably not politically correct to say it, but it would be better if women weren’t allowed attend rugby internationals anyway. They tend not to have a clue what’s going on, are easily distracted, screech instead of shout, and are using up a seat that could be given to a proper rugby fan.

Completely agree, shouting rubbish with no clue what's going on.

Be like a man going to the cinema to see Fifty Shades of Grey, and every 2 minutes shouting "stick it up her arse".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hoboo wrote: »

Be like a man going to the cinema to see Fifty Shades of Grey, and every 2 minutes shouting "stick it up her arse".

I was having no time for the trollish, childish mysoginist posts..... until this comment!
    Very, very funny.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hoboo wrote: »
    Completely agree, shouting rubbish with no clue what's going on.

^
    :D

Priceless!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Not gona lie I had to take a serous double take when I first read this title.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

JayZeus wrote: »
    One of these women is reported as being blind in one eye. Which is terrible in itself, but she went to a rugby match where a hard and fast ball could burst anyone in the face is they're not looking or don't react quick enough.

It's an unfortunate accident, but one which it is not reasonable to expect the stadium owners/management to prevent. It's a fast ballgame, not a ballet performance.

If you got information from the article then it cited an example of a woman who was blinded by a golf ball. No injuries are described for the two rugby ball hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭KaneToad

It would represent a valuable loss of selfie time. I've been to dozens to rugby matches and managed to deflect a few missiles by actually watching the game. Very little sympathy otherwise.

Can't see article. But I wonder was it the match ball that hit them, during regular play. If so, I'd have minimal sympathy. If it was one of the multiple balls used during warm up/ half time, then I would be slightly more sympathetic.

Maybe we should all follow this gent's lead:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cG4ZqJ4uLPY

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I've no issue if they suffered a serious injury. There was a lady lost an eye at a golf tournament last year and I presume she was appropriately compensated, which is right imo even for an accident but this sounds like two chancers, without knowing any of the detail

I better read the article now

There is a big difference between size and speed between a golf and rugby ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

They prob bitter cos they skinny latte got spilt while they were cheering on the Goys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

There is a big difference between size and speed between a golf and rugby ball

Yeah ..size isn't everything! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Yeah ..size isn't everything! :D

LOL

meeeeh wrote: »
    If you got information from the article then it cited an example of a woman who was blinded by a golf ball. No injuries are described for the two rugby ball hits.

Ah, fair enough. I was reading between the cracks in the paywall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I hope the judge telĺs them to suck it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I hope the judge telĺs them to suck it up.

And awards costs to the stadium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

This story reminds me of an elderly man in my home parish.

Way back when he was young, he went to a hurling game to see Christy Ring play. He had no interest whatsoever in hurling but felt he had to go along at least once to see what all the fuss was about with Ring.

He was standing behind the goal and presumably there weren't the big nets back then. When Ring took a shot it hit on the forehead and knocked him unconscious and he ended up in hospital. It was long before my time so I can't vouch for the story but apparently it's 100% true. I suppose if you are going to get knocked out like that, who better to be knocked out by than Christy Ring.

This was probably back in the 50's. I'm pretty sure he's still alive now, I wonder would he be tempted to put in a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

JayZeus wrote: »
    Because it’s a rugby match, not a childrens play centre.

Jesus, the light-hearted confusion over what type of balls were in question has taken a dark turn.

dan1895 wrote: »
    It wouldn't hit you in the face if your paying attention.
    I agree completely that you should assume certain, reasonable risks as a spectator at at game. The maximum known speed of a rugby ball is considerably lower than that of a football, which itself is lower than that of a rugby ball, which is lower than a sliotar, which may make hurling the fastest field sport in the world.

https://www.independent.ie/storyplus/is-hurling-the-fastest-field-sport-in-the-world-31427432.html

(I don't know what the author of that article means by speed (instantaneous speed? max velocity?), but in any case, the final velocities of each would be fairly proportionate)

Using some of the values there, and considering the mass of the different balls, getting a whack in the face with a sliotar could have an impact five times that of a rugby ball.

Some of the speeds here are pretty phenomenal -- maybe not so much in rugby, that's true. So if you get hit in the face by a ball (have we not all been there at some point, on the pitch or in the crowd?) it's not necessarily because you're distracted, or on Insta. You could easy turn to say "I'm going to the bar" and BANG, someone's put a ball in your face.

It's unlucky, not necessarily anyone's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

There does seem to be a disproportionate amount of going to the bar happening at Rugby games alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

touts wrote: »
    Suing the sport followed by most lawyers in the country. Best of luck to their solicitor....

I’m sure a solicitor recommended this.

Rugby isn’t a game where the ball goes into the crowd very much. In cricket and baseball that’s how you score. And yet I see no nets there.

Nor are rugby balls going to be at a very fast speed when they hit you as the ball was probably kicked high and hit on descent. And a rugby ball is mostly air, a sliother, cricket ball and baseball are much more dangerous.

So she’s sitting there, a relatively low speed ball hits her and rather than feel embarrassed about not being able to catch it the first thought is calling the solicitor. Brilliant.

This woman is probably upper middle class. I wonder if most of the litigation in Ireland is from that class and flies under the radar as it is settled out of court.

In any case her solicitor thought this a winnable case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Couldn't read the article either, maybe one of them was blind. Getting hit would be an awful shock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Where’s the blind story coming from? No mention in the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Couldn't read the article either, maybe one of them was blind. Getting hit would be an awful shock!

You took a huge jump their to get to that assumption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Calling this now: this thread title won't be topped this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I thought women like balls in their face???

Advertisement