Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being a cheapskate or are the farmers markets an absolute ripoff?

Options
  • 28-07-2019 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Was fleeced at the Douglas market yesterday. Got the tiniest falafel wrap I've ever seen for €7.50. I was actually hungrier after I finished it. It just teased my belly. What's more they used raw Tesco value fajita wraps rather than proper flatbread. And the falafel nuggets themselves were tiny. With the amount of middle easterns in Irish society these days I'd be mortified selling these things in case they saw me.

Had a look at the burrito stall too to see what they were selling. Also tiny wraps. I'd call them child's portions. Used to be much bigger and cheaper.

Am I being a cheapskate or is this normal for the farmers markets? Hadn't actually been to one in a while. Used to get sultan kebabs quite often. No sign of sultan there yesterday. Prices in general have increased, which happens I guess. But portion size and quality has decreased.

It hardly costs that much to run a tent for 4 hours that you have to gouge your customers. How is it that actual brick and mortar shops are cheaper where they have to pay ESB, gas, rent, water charges etc? Can't wrap my head around it.

Feel sorry for tourists who happen upon these places after trying out markets in London or mainland Europe.

Anyway, rant over. I just hate being ripped off.

Anybody else care to share their thoughts? Maybe recommend a good value stall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A voluntary and discretionary purchase cannot be a ripoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

endacl wrote: »
    A voluntary and discretionary purchase cannot be a ripoff.

It's not as if I saw the tiny wrap and said "oh that's looks tiny I'll buy it".

You pay for the wrap before they even make it and don't see it until about 5 minutes later. I had no idea it would be so small.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Last I seen, Brendan's burritos were massive! Very tasty too. Though I've never had them at the Douglas market.

I have noticed some poorer quality stalls though. In my mind I feel like they're riding on the cost tails of the better ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

It's not as if I saw the tiny wrap and said "oh that's looks tiny I'll buy it".

You pay for the wrap before they even make it and don't see it until about 5 minutes later. I had no idea it would be so small.

Did you say anything to them when you eventually did see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I can categorically confirm that no farmer was involved in said 'falafel' products whatsover ... It's one thing at least we cant be blamed for

Now if you would like some first rate cabbages I'd be yer man ... ;)

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »

Did you say anything to them when you eventually did see it?

Three of us got the wrap, and all three were as tiny as eachother so it wasn't a "manufacturing error" that I could complain about. The gouging was part of their business model. So I just took it on the chin.

What should I have said?

Three of us got the wrap, and all three were as tiny as eachother so it wasn't a "manufacturing error" that I could complain about. The gouging was part of their business model. So I just took it on the chin.

What should I have said?

I'm not suggesting it was, but if people never mention it and keep paying for it. Why would they change the model?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭893bet

Supermarkets have set expectations of low prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭dunleakelleher

It hardly costs that much to run a tent for 4 hours

I believe it cost a small fortune to rent a space and there are none available ever.

So the whole idea of the farmers market where he brings his product to you with no overheads is gone.

but yes they are a rip-off

893bet wrote: »
    Supermarkets have set expectations of low prices.

I wouldn't be comparing them to supermarkets. Instead I'd compare them to the independent brick and mortar shops that sell the same thing. I know the going rate for falafel wraps, burritos etc. Umi in town use proper flatbread for example and are €2 cheaper, the wraps are bigger, and they have to pay god knows how much rent for a city centre location. And I'm usually disabled for 4 hours after eating a burrito from the independent burrito spots dotted around the city. Which are bigger and cheaper than the markets, and just as tasty. (Had a great one recently in Cavalera just down the road from the market).

It's also other markets around the world that have set my expectations of 'good value' , not low prices per se. I wouldn't mind paying €7.50 if it was more than two bites and wasn't wrapped in raw tesco value fajita dough.
    Last I seen, Brendan's burritos were massive! Very tasty too. Though I've never had them at the Douglas market.

To be fair Brendan wasn't working there yesterday. I remember getting a burrito from him last year in the Ballincollig market that was the size of my head. There was a couple of youngsters there doing the burritos which looked very skinny. But then again, why are they €8? Most expensive burritos in town. Also uses less meat, because the beef burritos are a 50/50 rice and mince mix.

• Advertisement

I believe it cost a small fortune to rent a space and there are none available ever.

So the whole idea of the farmers market where he brings his product to you with no overheads is gone.

but yes they are a rip-off

The system is fecked then. Who do they pay this small fortune to?

Actually I just remembered, I had a very excellent value farmer's market meal from an Ethiopian lady. She's in Mahon and Midleton. Savage food and great value (not low price but that doesn't matter. It's good value. Portion size, taste etc. matches the price)

The system is fecked then. Who do they pay this small fortune to?

Actually I just remembered, I had a very excellent value farmer's market meal from an Ethiopian lady. She's in Mahon and Midleton. Savage food and great value (not low price but that doesn't matter. It's good value. Portion size, taste etc. matches the price)

Had her food in Midleton. One of the best meals I've had at a market.

There's a Caribbean chicken/rice stall in Ballincollig last few months that's a really good portion for the price too..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

There used be a guy selling paté. He was the only person I felt wasn't a rip off. These days it's just very overpriced wraps. I don't bother going to the Douglas one any more, used be my go to place when I'd a hangover.

limnam wrote: »

There's a Caribbean chicken/rice stall in Ballincollig last few months that's a really good portion for the price too..

Must check that out on Wednesday. I'm only 10 mins away in work.

By the way, the star of this thread: €7.50 child's portion wrap I got yesterday, with raw tesco value fajita bread, attached below. And I don't have big hands. Light as a feather, held it with a few fingers.

Click them for a bigger image. Second one you can see how raw the dough is. Am I overreacting?

20190727-140049-1.jpg

20190727-140315-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Is that from rocketman? Iv been there a tonne of times and iv never ever had anything that small from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 giggs76

By the way, the star of this thread: €7.50 child's portion wrap I got yesterday, with raw tesco value fajita bread, attached below. And I don't have big hands. Light as a feather, held it with a few fingers.

Click them for a bigger image. Second one you can see how raw the dough is. Am I overreacting?

Absolute rip off you wouldn't give that to a child, i'll spread the word and lets all spread the word, maybe when there business starts slowing they won't be so greedy.

But at the end of day it's typical ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I never go to Farmers markets anymore.
    Overpriced dinners, or bits of dinners, like wraps and the likes for over inflated prices.
    Same goes for their 'organic' fruit and veg, their gluten free baking ,(coming from kitchen with no certification), their artisan breads....
    Cam you tell that they all irritate me?!
    Go into m&s rather than the market next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Wraps are cooked and ready to eat.
    Why do you keep going on about "raw" dough?

Yes, looks small and poor value.

Wraps are cooked and ready to eat.
    Why do you keep going on about "raw" dough?

You're supposed to cook them for a few minutes first. Oven or microwave. The bread was dry and raw that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I never go near farmers market because I always find them over priced and being honest, I am not that discerning when it comes to organic, artisan, free range, fair trade, corn fed, hand foraged etc etc. However, as some people are really into all of those things and can spot/taste the difference, I'd expect that a premium price would need to be paid as they are more expensive to produce than the generic variety.

Saying that OP, this was a definite opportunity for you to raise it directly with the stall vendor (even just to make an observation on the size of the portions and to query the brand of the wraps). Too many people vent/rant online but it's meaningless and a little bit keyboard warrior-ish if you are not making the vendor/proprietor etc aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You're supposed to cook them for a few minutes first. Oven or microwave. The bread was dry and raw that's all.

No. They are ready to eat.
    That can be warmed, of course, but insisting that a cooked product is raw is just daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

So you knew the price before you placed the order but didn't realise it would be a tiny portion until you got it ... that part is fair enough.

What I don't get is that you didn't seem to have said anything to the stall owner! If you weren't happy with what you were given why didn't you complain or ask for a refund? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Based on the pics he got ripped off. 100% agree with him. If it was 3 or 4 euro fair enough but 7.50 for that is insane. Nothing cheapskate about it.

In all honesty I couldn't have walked away from that and not said anything. I wouldn't ask for a refund for food that has been prepared and handed to me but I'd definitely give my feedback and make sure I never went near them again. Joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

No you’re not being a cheapskate more like those guys are chancers selling substandard food at ott prices.

I would agree with the above poster who suggested you complain. In general ripping people off seems to be an Irish thing and businesses know people are too quiet and won’t complain. Maybe ask the price first in future as well. Still disgraceful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

20190727-140049-1.jpg

20190727-140315-1.jpg

Wouldn't pay €4 for that ****e. Nevermind €7.50. well and truly ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

How much does it cost to rent a space?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Correct me if I'm wrong here but should you not be asked for money after the food has been prepared & presented to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 G Shock

Welcome to Ireland!
    Everyone is just out to gouge as much as they can from your wallet.

Naos wrote: »
    How much does it cost to rent a space?

I know it was brought up as a point but it's fairly irrelevant.

The cost of the rent.

The cost of the food

etc

It's all irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

if you want wraps head over to Wilton on a Tuesday, Gally's Kitchen, OK not cheap (€8 for a beef burrito I believe) but they are very big and taste amazing.
    I've wandered around the Douglas one before, very little signs of value for money.

Advertisement