Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being a cheapskate or are the farmers markets an absolute ripoff?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

limnam wrote: »
    I know it was brought up as a point but it's fairly irrelevant.

The cost of the rent.

The cost of the food

etc

It's all irrelevant.

How exactly is it irrelevant? It is a direct factor in the cost of the falafel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

In all honesty I couldn't have walked away from that and not said anything. I wouldn't ask for a refund for food that has been prepared and handed to me but I'd definitely give my feedback and make sure I never went near them again. Joke.

It's just one of those things where you say feck it, I should have went back and said something. But they're wrapped in paper, then put in thicker paper bag, you can't see them when you get them. We carried them off to find somewhere to sit as the place was packed, and by the time we found a spot and everything was unwrapped we were just so starving we said feck it.

If I got it uncovered just in his bare hands I probably would have asked them to fill it up a bit more. I go to Umi fairly often because I bloody love falafels and always ask for more fillings if I think the pittas are a bit light.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

It's just one of those things where you say feck it, I should have went back and said something. But they're wrapped in paper, then put in thicker paper bag, you can't see them when you get them. We carried them off to find somewhere to sit as the place was packed, and by the time we found a spot everything was unwrapped we were just so starving we said feck it.

If I got it uncovered just in his bare hands I probably would have asked them to fill it up a bit more. I go to Umi fairly often because I bloody love falafels and always ask for more fillings if I think the pittas are a bit light.

Ah sure fair enough. At least you know not to go back to them.

You'd get a KC's creole for that!!!

No. They are ready to eat.
    That can be warmed, of course, but insisting that a cooked product is raw is just daft.

I called them raw because it was like eating dry raw dough.

It's not that they can be warmed - they're supposed to be warmed. I actually put them on a frying pan with a bit of oil before using them. The packages recommend the oven or microwave. I know Brendans burritos puts them on the pan too with a bit of oil and it's yummy. The lads at Sultan's kebab do the same.

With my wrap they were straight out the packet. Dry and ... raw! :)

Why don't you stop being daft and get out of this thread if you've nothing useful to contribute? I'm enjoying reading the responses here and you're ruining it.

limnam wrote: »
    I know it was brought up as a point but it's fairly irrelevant.

The cost of the rent.

The cost of the food

etc

It's all irrelevant.

I'm curious about the cost too, would just like to know. Why is it irrelevant?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I do love a jerimiad where a person knows they were well and truly ripped off, having paid their hard earned money to be bitterly dissapointed.

Other than not patronizing the stall again, or a strongly worded letter, there isnt much you can do but take it on the chin OP, sorry for your loss.
    Its the helplessness that grates most. I cant imagine them giving your money back unless you caused an absolute scene, which we Irish are reluctant to do.

Theres the odd genuine potted apple chutney or head of cabbage salesman (*nods) , but I always thought "farmers markets" was a euphemism for hucksters ripping off the hopeful and the gullible. I just think of Dinny. Plus, isnt one of the Allens involved in running them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Wtf is a falafel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Wtf is a falafel?

Google it, its quicker than posting asking the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Was fleeced at the Douglas market yesterday. Got the tiniest falafel wrap I've ever seen for €7.50. I was actually hungrier after I finished it. It just teased my belly. What's more they used raw Tesco value fajita wraps rather than proper flatbread. And the falafel nuggets themselves were tiny. With the amount of middle easterns in Irish society these days I'd be mortified selling these things in case they saw me.

You're not being mean - greatest hoax since Orson Welles told us that aliens have landed- yummy mummies just lovvvve the place, paying top dollar for stuff you get in Tesco 1 minutes walk away for up to half the price

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I'd say most of these people have never seen a farm in their lives.

I find these markets are usually ruined by all the vans parked on pavements and shoddy stalls. The one on the main street in Douglas looks an awful state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

limnam wrote:
    I'm not suggesting it was, but if people never mention it and keep paying for it. Why would they change the model?

Vote with yere feet boys- don't return

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Naos wrote: »
    How exactly is it irrelevant? It is a direct factor in the cost of the falafel.

It has a direct factor in the cost to the vendor. It has no correlation with what the vendor is charging.

e.g There's no rule if it costs x to produce it can only be charged at y.

If the rent in ballincollig is less than say Douglas. Burrito man doesn't charge less in Ballincollig.

People seem to think if something is cheap to produce it shouldn't be expensive.

So if the answer is douglas is 50e a day more than somewhere. but the price is the same

why is it relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

I'm curious about the cost too, would just like to know. Why is it irrelevant?

If it turns out its actually very cheap.

And has a friend working somewhere he gets massively discounted ingredients.

Is it relevant? does it matter?

Would you open your mouth then?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Vote with yere feet boys- don't return

Wouldn't bother with them. Just a bunch of spoofers riding the wave of food wankery.

A borderline racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nobody seems able to have a steady sustainable business model in Ireland any more.
    Business seems to just set up, gouge out as much short term profit as possible and then close.

This includes commercial rents etc.

Nice cafe close to us closing this week because the rent is just being hiked up and up all the time. Previous tenant had same problem with same landlord, get them let them establish and then gouge them for rent, they leave, no rent for 6-12 months and then next sucker comes along and same process.

It’s like the overall countries trend of boom and bust, were destined to repeat this over and over. The expensive flaffel op is talking about is just a symptom of the Irish business condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

The fish stall is pretty good value as is the farmer selling the veg but the rest are pretty overpriced alright.

Haven't gone to the falafel place but the mexican place that is usually there do a good size wrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

_Brian wrote: »
    Nobody seems able to have a steady sustainable business model in Ireland any more.
    Business seems to just set up, gouge out as much short term profit as possible and then close.

This includes commercial rents etc.

Nice cafe close to us closing this week because the rent is just being hiked up and up all the time. Previous tenant had same problem with same landlord, get them let them establish and then gouge them for rent, they leave, no rent for 6-12 months and then next sucker comes along and same process.

It’s like the overall countries trend of boom and bust, were destined to repeat this over and over. The expensive flaffel op is talking about is just a symptom of the Irish business condition.

A grain of truth there. It's high up and low down and the reason why people will sue at the drop of a hat if there's a smell of easy money. Instant money/short term gratification, no thought of long term consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Why don't you stop being daft and get out of this thread if you've nothing useful to contribute?

Well, I would but....

https://images.app.goo.gl/vkBrdGQWUKELELf57

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

G Shock wrote: »
    Welcome to Ireland!
    Everyone is just out to gouge as much as they can from your wallet.

Coz that only happens in Ireland...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Why are they called "farmers markets " when the vast, vast, majority have nothing to do with farming ?
    Open market, would be more authentic.

Find the farmer competition starts tomorrow. :)

Farmers' market
    Market featuring foods sold directly by farmers to consumers A farmers' market is a physical retail marketplace intended to sell foods directly by farmers to consumers. Farmers' markets may be indoors or outdoors and typically consi

"Farmers' market" on @Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmers%27_market?wprov=sfta1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You're not being mean - greatest hoax since Orson Welles told us that aliens have landed- yummy mummies just lovvvve the place, paying top dollar for stuff you get in Tesco 1 minutes walk away for up to half the price

:confused:
    Good lord, the most random of agendas! OP is a dude, the stall is run and staffed by men. The market is on a Saturday, when the “mummies”, yummy or not, are most likely standing in the pissing rain at the side of a soccer pitch.

The lack of training on a falafel stand somewhere in douglas is not caused by women.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tom44 wrote: »
    Why are they called "farmers markets " when the vast, vast, majority have nothing to do with farming ?
    Open market, would be more authentic.

Find the farmer competition starts tomorrow. :)

Farmers' market
    Market featuring foods sold directly by farmers to consumers A farmers' market is a physical retail marketplace intended to sell foods directly by farmers to consumers. Farmers' markets may be indoors or outdoors and typically consi

"Farmers' market" on @Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmers%27_market?wprov=sfta1

Saturday market on Cornmarket Street in town has quite a few direct sellers and some good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Must check that out on Wednesday. I'm only 10 mins away in work.

By the way, the star of this thread: €7.50 child's portion wrap I got yesterday, with raw tesco value fajita bread, attached below. And I don't have big hands. Light as a feather, held it with a few fingers.

Click them for a bigger image. Second one you can see how raw the dough is. Am I overreacting?

20190727-140049-1.jpg

20190727-140315-1.jpg
    So you mean to tell me they didn't even put a toasting on the wrap and used it straight out of the plastic package?
    Do like I do and cease buying from those stalls. Then they will be forced to reduce their extortionate costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I get good value in Douglas market every time I visit.
    Based solely on price: - fish, apples, apple juice, honey, bread. All cheaper and better than the supermarket.
    If you consider freshness, quality and food miles: good value to be had on cakes, bread, rashers/sausages, vegetables, fruit.

Denigating all farmers' markets on the basis of one disappointing wrap - really? I've been disappointed with a couple purchases there. I just don't go back to those stalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I get good value in Douglas market every time I visit.
    Based solely on price: - fish, apples, apple juice, honey, bread. All cheaper and better than the supermarket.
    If you consider freshness, quality and food miles: good value to be had on cakes, bread, rashers/sausages, vegetables, fruit.

Denigating all farmers' markets on the basis of one disappointing wrap - really? I've been disappointed with a couple purchases there. I just don't go back to those stalls.

Not sure if you're going to the same market as the OP, but do you know where the honey is coming from, the flour in the bread? There seems to be no traceability chain whatsoever in these markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Harika

airy fairy wrote: »
    Not sure if you're going to the same market as the OP, but do you know where the honey is coming from, the flour in the bread? There seems to be no traceability chain whatsoever in these markets.

For the fish I can guarantee you it's not coming from Tesco... Honey is Ireland, you either trust them or not. Do you know where the flour from Tesco bread is coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

airy fairy wrote: »
    I think so. Yes, no.

Advertisement