Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my rose f@cked?

Options
  • 28-07-2019 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭

Came back from holidays to discover the people we asked to water the flowers, hadn’t!
    Not too bothered about the window boxes, plenty of time still to replace them but a miniature rose bush, that sort of has sentimental value, was wilted.

I’ve been watering it for the last few days but nothing seems to be coming back to life.

078-E7945-91-A4-4500-9793-828-D375-CE5-A9.jpg

Any suggestions or would I just be wasting my time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

A bit of water isn't going to cost anything if you want to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Scrape the bark on a stem with your finger nail and if it's green underneath then it can be saved. Cut out any stems, or parts of stems, showing no sign of life. Water and feed and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

antix80 wrote: »
    A bit of water isn't going to cost anything if you want to find out.

I have been watering it daily for five days.

Yes, but did you say a prayer to Saint Fiacre?

antix80 wrote: »
    Yes, but did you say a prayer to Saint Fiacre?

Never heard of him/her! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Scrape the bark on a stem with your finger nail and if it's green underneath then it can be saved. Cut out any stems, or parts of stems, showing no sign of life. Water and feed and hope for the best.

Hmmm. There’s a layer of green and now white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hmmm. There’s a layer of green and now white

Cut back to a low and outward facing bud. No more than 5mm above the bud, sloped downwards from it. Make sure the secateurs are clean and sharp.

Cut back to a low and outward facing bud. No more than 5mm above the bud, sloped downwards from it. Make sure the secateurs are clean and sharp.

Ok, will do, thanks. Here’s hoping!!!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Ok, will do, thanks. Here’s hoping!!!!!! :eek:

Is it still alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 80sChild

It needs food as well as water. Recent rains have washed nutrients away. If any green in stem try

https://images.app.goo.gl/pXwJfhG6ktCfzT2u9

• Advertisement

Is it still alive?

I watched it for a week or so but nothing I’m afraid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't give up on it for another 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The stems are green, so that’s a good sign. It costs nothing to keep watering it. Most roses are tough buggers.

Maybe give us a progress update in another 6-8 months

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Language Timothy! this is the gardening forum not After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunnib

Just keep moist, don't over-water, in a bright, well aired spot, I've seen a pretty dried-up mini-rose bush come back into bloom, they're quite hardy..(and they know when you love them...)

sunnib wrote: »
    Just keep moist, don't over-water, in a bright, well aired spot, I've seen a pretty dried-up mini-rose bush come back into bloom, they're quite hardy..(and they know when you love them...)

It’s in the great compost heap in the sky I’m afraid. :(

Very sad. It must be coming on it's first anniversary

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unless it rose from the dead.

unless it rose from the dead.

Get out of here! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

I have to ask, why was it of sentimental value when it was obviously newly purchased and why wasn't it planted?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was disappointed when I saw this thread was a year old as I had one in a similar state after all the sun during lockdown when I just didn't water it enough. I was devastated as I've had it three years and the other I bought with it didn't even make it to its first birthday :(

Alas, with some tender loving care and removing most of the death from it, some green started to reappear, took away all the grass that started appearing in the pot and put in some new compost and it slowly started to come back to life...then almost like it was overnight there was loads of green leaves (and still a few brown ones I only got around to removing fully about a week ago :o) and better yet...a BUD :D
    IMG-8010.jpg

Anyway it now looks like this and I'm delighted :D

IMG-8041.jpg

AND LOOK!!!!

IMG-8042.jpg

My parents also bought me a new rose bush a few weeks ago and brought it over as a thank you gift for taking care of them during lockdown as I was so sad about this one :pac: so now I have two flowering rose bushes. :cool:

Anywho...just felt like telling that story again as everyone else is sick of listening to me. :)

I have to ask, why was it of sentimental value when it was obviously newly purchased and why wasn't it planted?

Much too personal for here, sorry.

Advertisement