Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I get paid on sick leave?

Options
  • 28-07-2019 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am working with HSE for the last 5 years without any career break. I have taken 2-3 days sick leave per year, which were self certified.
    I have gotten very sick now and consultant advised me to be off for 2 months and given me a cert also.

I am not on a permanent contract with HSE, it's fixed term contract and renews every 1-2 years.

I am wondering if I am eligible for full pay for these 2 months of sick leave?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You need to check your employment contract. Legally, the employer is not required to pay you while you are absent due to illness, but some choose to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Cool
    Will check with HR department.
    Dav010 wrote: »
    You need to check your employment contract. Legally, the employer is not required to pay you while you are absent due to illness, but some choose to do so.

Cool
    Will check with HR department.

No, you need to check your contract, if you are being employed on FTCs, you need to check the most recent one you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I'd imagine it's pretty standard across the hse? Hopefully someone here can help.

I'd say check with hr. If they don't give you the answer you want, check your contract.

Yea that's why I posted here and hoped someone working in HSE may have gone through similar experience.

antix80 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's pretty standard across the hse? Hopefully someone here can help.

I'd say check with hr. If they don't give you the answer you want, check your contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I know of some permanent HSE employees who have a full pay policy for a fixed amount of time, but I am not sure what the situation with non permanent staff is.

I agree with the advice of looking into your contract, it will be clearly called out there.

Checked the contract now and it says :

"In accordance with Section 5 of Department of Health Circular 05/2014 (which covers employees on fixed term contracts), max of 92 days full pay and 91 days half pay in a 4-year period"

So I suppose I fall under full pay category.

Fingers crossed.

So I suppose I fall under full pay category

Yes, in that case your two months will certainly be covered at full pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I thought the HSE got longer paid sick leave than that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

"In accordance with Section 5 of Department of Health Circular 05/2014 (which covers employees on fixed term contracts), max of 92 days full pay and 91 days half pay in a 4-year period"

Fingers crossed.

So the purpose of this thread was to make you go and read your contract yourself and answer your own question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Fingers crossed.

So the purpose of this thread was to make you go and read your contract yourself and answer your own question.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I thought the HSE got longer paid sick leave than that

It tallies pretty well with what I know from people on full time contracts at least, I think it is also something along the lines of 3 months full pay then half pay for the next 3 months.

Car99 wrote: »

Well, to be fair to the OP, it happens very regularly that folk have a work related query which can be answered by looking into their contract, but for some reason quite a lot of people do not seem to think about doing so, and will approach HR etc. instead. It can be quite normal that the initial contract one signs gets forgotten about in the employees mind (or even quite often lost!) as soon as employment begins.

I would always advise to have it put away carefully somewhere for future reference, as it is your single source of truth on such matters. Some may think it more convenient etc to approach HR but I would not be trusting any feedback coming from HR, without checking in my employment contract, and not because HR are trying to pull the wool over my eyes, but more that the person who I am speaking to may simply not know what the norm was when I signed.

It can also very much be the case that the T&C's which I signed up to are very different to my peers. You often encounter the opinion that everyone in the same role must be offered identical conditions, but that is not the case at all. Some people doing exactly the same work with the same title may have much better perks than someone else.

And I still do not get the purpose of your message, that too twice!
    Car99 wrote: »

And I still do not get the purpose of your message, that too twice!

Your contract contained the info you needed, asking randomers on the interweb is likely to illicit both accurate and inaccurate guesses as to what your situation is. Should have read that first.

Advertisement