Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frangipane filling - Dry or moist?

Options
  • 28-07-2019 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

HI
    I have just made a Plum Frangipane Tart.
    The recipe said 40-50 mins 180C until the pastry is crisp, top is golden brown and the plums are soft.
    At 45 mins it was all of the above, but very wet when I broke through the top.
    I left it for an hour and ten after checking every 5 mins or so and took it out.
    It's very soggy and greasy.
    I ate some and it's sitting like a brick in my stomach.
    The filling was 2 eggs and 200 gr each butter, sugar and ground almonds.
    I don't know what it is supposed to be like when cooked. I was expecting it to be a posh bakewell.
    In terms of moistness where does it lie between a Victoria sponge and chocolate fudge cake?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    HI
    I have just made a Plum Frangipane Tart.
    The recipe said 40-50 mins 180C until the pastry is crisp, top is golden brown and the plums are soft.
    At 45 mins it was all of the above, but very wet when I broke through the top.
    I left it for an hour and ten after checking every 5 mins or so and took it out.
    It's very soggy and greasy.
    I ate some and it's sitting like a brick in my stomach.
    The filling was 2 eggs and 200 gr each butter, sugar and ground almonds.
    I don't know what it is supposed to be like when cooked. I was expecting it to be a posh bakewell.
    In terms of moistness where does it lie between a Victoria sponge and chocolate fudge cake?

When I’ve made frangipane before, it’s been very moist and I didn’t like it! Now I throw in some flour into the mix to bet a more bake well texture that holds like a sponge but still tastes like frangipane.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I think this was a failure.
    I hate wasting all those ingredients, so I will probably eat it little forkful by little forkful over the next few days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

*I've moved this into the main Food forum :)

It could be the amount of ground almonds in the recipe - usually there's flour in there too. I use THIS one all the time, it works very well and is never soggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Yes, a lot of the recipes have some flour added.
    I thought the one without was somehow 'purer'!
    I'll wait a while to digest this failure:D and I'll try again with a different recipe.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I think Frangipane ought to be moist, but I do wonder if the plums in your recipe just made it way too soggy overall?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I think this was a failure.
    I hate wasting all those ingredients, so I will probably eat it little forkful by little forkful over the next few days.

Could you take the filling off the pastry, spread it out and dry it a bit in a coolish oven, then use it as a stir-in for some icecream?

(I hate wasting things too :D)

Advertisement