Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Following on from what AMK said, I'd also not necessarily assume the source of the issue is the hamstring.

Maybe it’s imaginary like the Army........!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote:
    Maybe it’s imaginary like the Army........!!!!

Haha no I believe you this time.........

I just have a little experience of "tight" hamstring on my left side that wasn't in fact a tight hamstring. Muscles work in pairs to perform the movement. So for example when you do bicep curl the bicep contracts and its paired muscle, the triceps lengthens.
    Same with quads/hamstrings. In my case my "tight" hamstring was actually due to a tight quad, meaning the hamstring was in a constant state of stretched, meaning it felt "tight". Stretching the hamstring never eased it. A few physio sessions on the quad and hey presto. Something like anterior pelvic tilt can also lead to the hamstring being pulled on and feeling "tight".

I guess what I'm trying to say is you could waste a lot of time stretching or strengthening the wrong thing. You could also drink a glass of water and this discussion will have been a waste of time. Haha.

Any tightness or fatigue in the hips, quads, arse cheeks?

Any tightness or fatigue in the hips, quads, arse cheeks?

Jeez no foreplay or nothing, straight in asking about the arse cheeks!!!!!

My ass cheeks are grand, same with the quads. There’s always tightness in the hips P what with my labrum issue but I’m conscious to do strengthening exercises for that after every run. The hammer doesn’t affect me running it’s only post run it may start niggling me.

You know what would really help with the hips and as a side bonus annoy S...................... Yoga.................

You know what would really help with the hips and as a side bonus annoy S...................... Yoga.................

Then putting it on Strava, he REALLY likes that!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Pair of w@nkers :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Groups of soldiers getting in the way of my running is just a regular Tuesday around these parts B :)

Friday 5.6.20

8.05 miles GA@8.20min/miles in 67mins 03secs

Absolute horrendous morning here, waterproofs on delivering the post and finding whatever shelter i could to keep the letters dry:rolleyes::rolleyes:. The paniers, while great for carrying large volumes are completely useless when it comes to rain. It had dried up slightly by time i was finished and got out for my run but the wind had taken over at that stage. I foolishly headed up towards Scheveningen and nearly got blown back in the process(easy TbL now:P:P:P). By time i got home my hair was a mess, great run though.

Saturday 6.6.20

5.15 miles Easy/Recovery@9.13min/miles in 47mins 28secs

All i was able for, another Saturday hangover and legs that were aching made sure of that!! The eldest ran the last two and bit miles with me and he's caught the running bug, his June goal is to run 10km.

Sunday 7.6.20

15.05 miles Endurance@7.24min/miles in 1hr 51mins 20secs

The Chief was back at soccer school in De Aftrap this morning so took the opportunity to get my run in as he trained. Quick first few miles chasing him down to Zuiderpark so i decided to go with that pace for remainder of the run, wasn't sure how i'd hold up as it was extremely humid out and i was sweating buckets even when i dropped O off. Straight away i decided to leave Zuiderpark, it was crazy busy, runners, walkers, rollerbladers(she wasn't there though:(:() and even soccer matches on the green areas being played even though they’re not supposed to be yet.

Headed for a few queiter parks in Rijswijk i knew and they turned out to be person free more or less. I knew of a Strava segment around De Put and gave that a go, got a first place overall this year and an overall top 10. Back then to Zuiderpark and picked himself up, he was happy with his mornings work and chased him home on the bike again. Oh yeah, there was white foam coming from the toe-boxes of my runners, my shorts were half black, half white for the same reason and my t-shirt had at least a couple of litres of sweat soaked into it. Super run in glorious Dutch morning again.

50.90 miles for the week, another decent week and more good miles in the legs. I'm fit but the speed endurance is not there, these short TT's are tougher than they should be. So I will start working on some speed from next week. I'm planning on starting my P&D plan for the Amsterdam Half as normal on July 27th with the hope it will happen, things are a step ahead here of Ireland regarding Covid-19 restrictions so i'm hopeful it may take place.

Are there glimmers of light regarding Amsterdam again?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Are there glimmers of light regarding Amsterdam again?

*Maybe my overly optimistic Irish nature S to be honest with you, but things are progressing well here & I’d HOPE it will go ahead.

*Possibly talking out of my rear to!!

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    *Maybe my overly optimistic Irish nature S to be honest with you, but things are progressing well here & I’d HOPE it will go ahead.

*Possibly talking out of my rear to!!

:pac::pac: Ah I've been flip flopping about starting a marathon plan. I don't really want to do one without a race at the end of it. I've been clocking up decent miles so could probably get by with a 12/14 week plan. That gives me a few weeks yet to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hope your hair has recovered. :pac:

Nice week.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hope your hair has recovered. :pac:

Nice week.

Thank you, not born with your luscious silver locks D!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

It's the hope that kills you know...in the space of about 2 hours yesterday I'd gone from a TT - filled void of frustration to signed up for Charleville and suddenly hopeful about Amsterdam! Neither will probably happen now...

Monday 8.6.20

Rest Day.

Tuesday 9.6.20

Nothing

Wednesday 10.6.20

Same as Tuesday

Thursday 11.6.20

w/u, Trim AC Virtual Relay - 1km leg + 2x(5x200m@1mile)(100m recs) with 4 mins between sets, c/d.

Chose a different location for this TT rather than the one from past two weeks, it was a flat route with a slight uphill finish. Sweating litres on the warm up, i could have taken the t-shirt off it was that wet but didn't want to scare the natives, which made me a little apprehensive about the TT. Switched the Garmin to the session and straight into it, i started to quick and held on, 3.15.64 for the km. In the weather conditions i took it, cool down home and was a complete mess by time i got home as my Strava feed showed. Shame on those who thought o exaggerated my sweating, ye of little faith. 9.80 miles for the day.

Friday 12.6.20

10.55 miles GA@8.16min/miles in 1hr 27mins 13secs.

Hamstrings in ribbons starting out on this, and tightness in the lower back. It loosened out a bit as the run went on but as i got to Kijkduin i had to stop and stretch the right hamstring. Continued on for another mile and came to a halt again, massaged the hamstring AMK style this time and got going again. The pain disappeared completely after half mile and rest of run was quiet good, hot and sweaty but not on yesterdays scale.

Saturday 13.6.20

3.40 miles Recovery@11.05min/miles in 37mins 41secs

Ran this with O after work, it was roasting again and he felt it but hes a determined lad and kept going till the end. I wouldn't have managed the same at my 9 year old self.

Sunday 14.6.20

Nothing, back and hamstrings in bits. In pain sitting here as i type.

23.70 miles for the week, after 3 weeks of 50+ miles a week post illness the wheels really came off!! Monday to Wednesday we had a family situation and the last thing i felt like doing was running.

I was a big lad for my age, i am probably as tall as i am now as i was at 14, so i kind of stood out. The other thing about me, i had/have massive ears, regardless of size i was a bullies dream because of my lugs. Being a quiet lad growing up i just laughed it off but was crying inside, one such incident in secondary school stuck with me.

I entered a classroom and one of the hard guys in my year started "Here comes Sam Maguire!!" to which half of the class erupted in laughter to. I seen he had been messing about with a tennis ball and as i walked to my seat he let fly with it, it struck me bang on the nose which immediately stated gushing with blood, it was everywhere. I stood in shock as everyone applauded the bully for such a good throw, again i took it and just walked away.........

I hate bullies, back then and now. Don't know what is up with the back/hamstrings, will give them a few days rest to see how they cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I have my own stories about bullies - Hate them too with a passion.

Hope alls ok as that story came out of nowhere.

I have my own stories about bullies - Hate them too with a passion.

Hope alls ok as that story came out of nowhere.

Like father like son hence the tough start to the week. Cheers for the concern A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Like father like son hence the tough start to the week. Cheers for the concern A.

Really sorry to hear this! I can't stand bullies either, used to stick up for my older very very quiet brother a lot! It's just so cruel what some kids have to go through at the hands of bullies! Hopefully you get to the source of it & get it sorted.

Sorry to hear that B. Been there.

Get the young fella into a jiu jitsu class or something.

I'd struggle to remain "a responsible adult" as a parent in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry to hear that B. Your man with the tennis ball was a right wanker! Hope the young fella is OK.

Running wise, can't believe you followed up that TT with a session and then 10 miles the next day - recipe for trouble. Hope the injury isn't too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Same as the others, I hate them. One of the things I enjoy is calling out bullies when they try to pick on people. They love doing it in front of a crowd but when someone calls them out in public they change their tune quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Been there. Firework to my chest, eggs close to my head and a stone to my nose. Verbal in school and the scouts. Pre-internet. Haven't thought about this in a while.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Funny you mention this. My eldest is starting to have trouble with a lad from his class. All online atm. Not quite bullying yet, but we're watching it.

Hope your son is OK and that story about you in school is horrific. Have you ever seen him since leaving school? Did he ever apologise.

Funny you mention this. My eldest is starting to have trouble with a lad from his class. All online atm. Not quite bullying yet, but we're watching it.

Hope your son is OK and that story about you in school is horrific. Have you ever seen him since leaving school? Did he ever apologise.

Have seen him once and gladly beaten him handsomely over 10k, he tried to engage me but I completely ignored the man.

We don’t let our lad online at all, at 9 we feel he’s way to young.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Have seen him once and gladly beaten him handsomely over 10k, he tried to engage me but I completely ignored the man.

We don’t let our lad online at all, at 9 we feel he’s way to young.

Imagine trying to banter knowing the history.

We started after his 9th birthday. Only with fortnite mind you. But he's the youngest in the class, everyone else was allowed have it and there are no other kids on our road, so I let him have it. It was grand up until this year but he's done a few things now and it's spilling over to other areas now. Everyone else gets on grand. There's always one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Parenting is so tough as they get older isn't it. I find it so much more stressful than when they were babies/toddlers, give me night feeds any day. My eldest is 10 and not online yet thank god as that's another can of worms. But he's a quiet introverted nerdy type of kid (as I was) and I worry... It's brilliant that you're aware of the situation now and having been through it yourself you will be able to empathise with your son which will be very comforting. And I'd like to hope that schools/clubs etc are more willing to get involved where necessary nowadays too. Hope the situation can be sorted fast B.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sorry to read your post B, its a very difficult situation to handle. I detest bullies with a vengeance, taking their own insecurities out on others. :mad:

With all the "online schooling", lots of different chat groups have started up in L's class and I was genuinely shocked at some of the things i read the girls were saying to each other. Thankfully L knows its wrong and has pulled them up on it and then left all the groups. This is a small country school with 13 pupils(10 girls) in the class.

Also her BFF is in a wheelchair and dare anyone talk out of line about her and L will be the first line of defense, even though she is often the brunt of "jokes" because due to dyslexia & dyspraxia she has a slower reaction time in class. I dread secondary school for her!!!

Mind yourselves and also mind the body, you've been doing great work so rest up and you'll be back sooner that you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Hope your son is ok B. Haven't had to really think too much about bullying with my two just yet, but it won't be too long before it's more of a concern. Terribly distressing for the parents I'm sure.

Fingers crossed the back and hamstring pains clear up before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Just to echo the sentiments of the other's O, sorry to hear about the current situation with your son. We live in callenging times to say the least. We had to take both of our girls out of school and homeschool them due to bullying, with a lot of it coming from the feckin teachers if you believe that! They are both doing a lot better now after finding out where their strengths and interests lay. The ony advice I would give it to keep an eye on it obviously, but don't forget there are always alternatives in this day and age.
    As far as the running and injuries go, best of luck, tbh, I think I am a bit glad to see that I am not the only one that doesn't follow the best path when it comes to managing set backs !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Sorry to hear that too B, it's so hard for kids these days with bullying in so many ways. It's different for girls (or was in my day I think). My mum used to tell me "you don't know what's going on in their lives, they must be very unhappy/sad/insert negative emotion here, to treat others the way they do". It helped me get through it. O is lucky to have two amazing parents, it's probably harder for you than for him. I hope it stops soon though :(.

Advertisement