Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

OOnegative wrote: »

We don’t let our lad online at all, at 9 we feel he’s way to young.

I applaud this. You're right, 9 is way too young, and we've already fallen into the trap, allowing our two (9, and soon to be 11) tablets of their own.

We do heavily restrict their online activity but the eldest has already been exposed to online bullying on Google Classrooms of all things.
    Like Younganne, I was horrified at some of the things being posted by kids so young. What saddens and angers me most is the loss of innocence at such an early age and the feeling that we're powerless to do anything about it, other than informing them of the dangers and hoping they understand :(

Hope all's ok.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Firstly, thanks for the advice and comments guys. As always they are hugely appreciated and some stuff to think about, the young lad has had a better week so we'll try keep that going.

6.15 miles Easy@8.28min/miles in 52mins 08secs.

A tester for the back and hammers. Kept the pace easy and thankfully no adverse reaction in anyway during the run or after.

8.50 miles Easy@8.27min/miles in 1hr 11mins 49secs

Another easy run, making sure to keep and eye on the back/hammers if they gave any feedback. None was evident thankfully, sweated up a mess much worse than last week, slightly shocked myself with this one:eek::eek:.

w/u, Trim AC Virtual Relay - 1.5km leg, c/d

Out towards the cycle paths on the warm up then straight into the TT, chose a handy route with a bit of down hill in it, first one of these TT's over past while i felt strong, confident i'd have ran the same time on a less forgiving route. No issues either from the hammers which i was delighted with. Cool down and home, 7.25 miles for the day.

7.40 miles Easy@8.25min/miles in 62mins 21secs

Easy miles around the neighbourhood in the sun after work, as always a glorious day to run.

7.50 miles GA@8.18min/miles in 62mins 13secs

Out straight after work into the sun, i was babysitting for the evening with herself being out so wanted to get this done. Another lovely afternoon with the sun shining, miles ticked by as i enjoyed them. Back and hammers still good.

15.10 miles Endurance@7.18min/miles in 1hr 50mins 21secs

Again done this as the young lad was at soccer school, decided to chase a few Strava segments this morning and took a 1st place on one which made me smile. Again humidity was above 80% which made this a sweaty affair but i didn't suffer like i have in the past, felt very strong throughout this which is good to see. Few nice pints in the afternoon with the family to celebrate Father's Day.

51.90 miles for the week which considering at the start of the week i was in a good bit of discomfort i'm delighted to have run 50+ miles for the week. The temperatures are to hit nearly 30 degrees here this week so could be some sweaty running involved. The club are running a virtual Braveheart Handicap 5km on Thursday evening for members, i might give that a bash to to see where i am.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Thanks so much for you own help and advice.

Glad you had a better week. Hope its the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Bit too late catching up on the log B. Might have given the Braveheart a bash but legs are in bits today after a session yesterday.

Sorry to hear about the bullying too. I lost a good friend during the lockdown who would have been bullied in school. Of course it's not a direct correlation but it's all character forming. He's very lucky you're aware of it and on top of it. I can't give good PC advice from my own experiences either as I ended up in more than a few rows, which did resolve my issues but is not really the recommended way to go.

Monday 22.6.20

Rest Day.

Tuesday 23.6.20

7.30 miles Easy@8.26min/miles in 61mins 41secs

Handy trot around the neighbourhood on the coldest day of the week(25 degress).

Wednesday 24.6.20

7.05 miles Easy@8.20min/miles in 58mins 47secs

I was capping the runs at just an hour as the 29-30 degree heat would have had me a shriveled mess if i ran for longer. Done laps of Scheveningse Bos keeping to the shade to make things as comfortable as i could, drenched by time i got finished.

Thursday 25.6.20

7.30 miles Easy@8.19min/miles in 60mins 42secs

Was supposed to do the Virtual Braveheart 5km this evening but the 30 degree heat put an end to that, more sweating around the shade of the forests. The big sports news that evening was "Half Man. Half Amazing" retiring after 22 seasons in the NBA, one of my favourite ballers ever.

https://youtu.be/uar3frZqnTc

Friday 26.6.20

5.90 miles Progression@7.43min/miles in 45mins 36secs

Out late afternoon but only had 50mins max to get anything in. Rolled with a progression run, starting at easy pace down to steady/endurance pace. an absolute mess after only 45mins work.

Saturday 27.6.20

w/u, 10x2mins@LT(60secs Steady rec), c/d.

A muggy, warm and extremely humid day, ran over to St Hubertuspark to do this on rolling roads to keep myself honest. From the first few reps i knew the Garmin would be of no use as the route i was using was heavily tree lined. Focus was on effort there on in, which i think ii got fairly spot on. I had to stop 3 times to wipe the foam off the legs due to the extreme sweating:eek::eek::eek:. Those that seen the video will understand. 8.60 miles for the day.

Sunday 28.6.20

9.25 miles Steady@7.37min/miles in 1hr 10mins 29secs

Another humid morning, ye know the story by now!! Lovely run though in the morning sun around a few parks and forests, wonderful fresh smells of the flowers and trees as i ran. Like everyday, a wonderful one to be out running.

45.40 miles for the week, few down on what i would have like but the heat midweek wasn't worth chasing mileage with the way i perspire. One good thing about the sweating is i shed 2.5kgs in weight thanks to it this week. The main reason i set up this log was to hopefully medal at the World Police and Fire Games in Rotterdam next summer, that sadly will not now happen as they have been cancelled today due to Covid-19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That video though.........

Quality stuff it was!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

If his missus hadn’t his name removed from the Interpol list, he’d be behind bars it was that hard core :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The main reason i set up this log was to hopefully medal at the World Police and Fire Games in Rotterdam next summer, that sadly will not now happen as they have been cancelled today due to Covid-19.

Are you still eligible? Cancelled or postponed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Murph_D wrote: »

He can’t show up Murph, he’s be arrested for perversion :)

TbL

• Advertisement

There hoping to find a date for it in 2022 D, currently still eligible despite the Lemon trying to defame me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

And I thought I was bad for not posting in a week..................

And I thought I was bad for not posting in a week..................

In fairness you have quality training to tell us about, all I’d be doing is moaning if I posted an update.

What with Rotterdam & Eindhoven being cancelled yesterday I don’t hold out much hope for the yearly goal, the Amsterdam Half taking place. They are still saying on social media there’s a possibility of it going ahead, but Rotterdam is the more prestigious marathon of the two and if that’s gone Amsterdam has no hope.

So with that in mind, what to do for the rest of the year? I won’t start a Half plan in the hope things significantly change so considering a 5k plan of some kind, probably one by Pete Magill from his faster 5k book I’ve read recently. More chance of a small 5k happening at the end of a plan anyway.

The training has been very hit & miss the past month, some bothersome niggles were at me for few weeks, sore knee and tight hips mostly but they have been rectified by more dedicated S&C work lately. Then picked up a painful toe infection in my right big toe that meant no running for a few days.

Have received some good news on the employment front which means starting a new job at the end of next month & drawing a line under my career as a Postman. Also may have bigger implications for my job back home but that’s a decision to be made in the coming weeks. Will keep track of the log again from next week as the 12 week plan begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

congrats on the new job!

Great news on the new job B. Stripper?

Great news on the new job B. Stripper?

No, sweater.......

OOnegative wrote:
    No, sweater.......

I'd imagine its a very niche market for both.

I'd imagine its a very niche market for both.

I’d excel at a sweater, the stripper career is dead in the water before it started!!! Don’t have the AMK tan......

Brilliant, B. Congrats on the new career - does this mean we will never get our bottle openers? My teeth are killing me! ;)

• Advertisement

Brilliant, B. Congrats on the new career - does this mean we will never get our bottle openers? My teeth are killing me! ;)

Thanks D, I’ve had the bottle openers sent back to me twice, not sure why & never given a reason as a future ex employee of PostNL.

I will get them to those people who requested them though, be it personal or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Thanks D, I’ve had the bottle openers sent back to me twice, not sure why & never given a reason as a future ex employee of PostNL.

I will get them to those people who requested them though, be it personal or otherwise.

You know you need to put a stamp on the envelopes :p

Congratulations on the new job!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck with the new job B.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the new job Barry, but think of all the fitness you lose now from not lifting heavy bags and all the cycling :D:D.

So holidays are nearly over in the beautiful area of Picardy in Northern France, weather has been tropical l but not my kind of running weather, some nice runs while here including the obligatory visit to the Soissinais Caves.

Yesterday’s run I done something to my left calf, felt a big pop of sorts as I ran but figured I’d run it off. It didn’t really bother me for rest of the run as I was well warmed up in the 30 degree heat. In was considerably worse this morning, walking with a slight limp.

I wanted to run everyday while here as it’s so picturesque but that’s been knocked on the head now. I’m honestly struggling with any kind of motivation to run to be honest, going through the motions & not really enjoying running at present. It’s become a chore rather than the pastime I loved and adored. I’ll keep it up of course as I’ve found that lost mojo in the past and have no doubt I’ll find it again. Need a good race to target.....

In separate news, 21.7.2000, means nothing to ye but that’s the day I nervously walked through the gates of Templemore. Embarking on a career I always wanted, I was a middle of the class student intellectually(out of pure laziness) and somewhat excelled at the sports end of things. I was posted to Raheny in September 2001 as a fully attested member of AGS.

I was quick to learn the ropes, my second day in the job I was involved in a 35 minute car chase that resulted in my first prisoner. I spent 2.5 years in uniform before progressing to plain clothes or undercover work as some of you may understand better. I could talk to so called criminals, that was my strength. Other guards used fear or intimidation to carry out there work, not me, I somehow related to these people even though I was raised out of the bog!!

One particular incident that will live long in my memory is when one of the local Raheny Community Police stupidly never locked their €1,000 mountain bike outside Kilbarrack Shopping Centre one morning. Bike was tea leafed and was missing for most of the day, local Bossman was going off his head!!

I was working at the time & the Superintendent of the area came to the Detective Office where I was now based & asked me to get the bike back. One spin to Swans Nest Road & I had the bike in the boot of a car 5 minutes later!!

Unfortunately it was downhill in regards my detective career after that, authority within AGS doesn’t like lads standing up for themselves & I was labeled a problem child as a result despite solving crime nobody else would have. I was called aside by a Senior Officer around this time & was told I had serious mental issues if looked out of plain clothes. Few days later I was back in blue, having relinquished my dream as a Garda Detective.

My issues with mental health started shortly after, I couldn’t get the words of that Senior Officer out of my head. I floated between Howth, Clontarf and Ashbourne in that time with the really dark times occurring when I was stationed in Ashbourne. I luckily got a move over to Trim & my love for the job returned somewhat, I was 5 minutes from home and I knew everything about the area.

Then luckily my wife got the call for her posting in Den Haag, cue a career break for me. That’s all she wrote, 17 years as a Garda, probably 11 of which were hugely enjoyable. Two things without the job I wouldn’t have, one my beautiful wife & two cop on to stand up for myself. As of next week I will be an ordinary Joe Soap like you & I honestly can’t wait.

So all non Gardai are Joe Soaps now? ;) Welcome back, Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Thanks for sharing your story Barry. It sounds like you've been through some tough years. I hope that you're in a happy place now.
    I'm like you at the moment. Every run is an effort and it's hard to be motivated. Just like you I'm hoping if I keep putting one foot in front of the other, I'll turn a corner at some stage *crosses fingers*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Interesting to hear about your professional life B. Sorry to hear of the challenges you faced during your years. Best of luck with the next chapter as a joe soap :)

Think I may throw my hat at running for 2020, as some read my legs get badly bitten while on holiday from mosquitoes/insects. They’ve now broken out in very bad and sore heat blisters.

Both my feet are like a pregnant woman’s and this is what both legs look like from the knee down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Ouch. Looks and sounds nasty. Not sure I should have thanked that post.

But are you not expecting a fast enough recovery as compared to a muscular injury for example?

Advertisement