Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

But are you not expecting a fast enough recovery as compared to a muscular injury for example?

Would be hoping so, this log has become very ‘Woah is me” lately, like an agony aunt’s column.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

OOnegative wrote: »
    Would be hoping so, this log has become very ‘Woah is me” lately, like an agony aunt’s column.

But that's not a bad thing Barry - its a good way to offload to your virtual buddies and feel like you have someone to talk with.

Very important in these times.

Best of luck in the new job (Interpol......it is insn't it.....

But that's not a bad thing Barry - its a good way to offload to your virtual buddies and feel like you have someone to talk with.

Cheers A, not Interpol but it is a large International Crime Agency(Investigation).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I knew some of the sorry Barry but to read it laid out like that is heartbreaking. Your boyhood dream taken away by people who should know better and who are suppose to support and lead. 14/08/25 - yesterday 5 years time will be my retirement day:D

Best of luck with the new job and here's to a quick recovery of both the calf and the leg bites.

The mojo will return. I'm finding virtual challenges help to motivate me. On the days i probably wouldn't bother going out, the challenge is at the back of my mind and off i go. I just completed the Donegal 500km Virtual Wild Atlantic way and now I'm embarking on the 600km Malin to Mizen head challenge.

Younganne wrote: »
    I knew some of the sorry Barry but to read it laid out like that is heartbreaking. Your boyhood dream taken away by people who should know better and who are suppose to support and lead. 14/08/25 - yesterday 5 years time will be my retirement day:D

Best of luck with the new job and here's to a quick recovery of both the calf and the leg bites.

The mojo will return. I'm finding virtual challenges help to motivate me. On the days i probably wouldn't bother going out, the challenge is at the back of my mind and off i go. I just completed the Donegal 500km Virtual Wild Atlantic way and now I'm embarking on the 600km Malin to Mizen head challenge.

Say 14.8.25 can’t come quick enough A!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

A few nice beers or ales is the only answer B. Take care of yourself pal

healy1835 wrote: »
    A few nice beers or ales is the only answer B. Take care of yourself pal

Too many of those in France J!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That's a nice looking sweat you've got going on there... Didn't even see the bites.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Legs look better than last time I saw them...

🀣

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Think I may throw my hat at running for 2020, as some read my legs get badly bitten while on holiday from mosquitoes/insects. They’ve now broken out in very bad and sore heat blisters.

Both my feet are like a pregnant woman’s and this is what both legs look like from the knee down.

Urggghhhhhh!!!!!
    What have I come back to :eek::eek::eek:

As for the other news, onwards and upwards.

I'm sure you'll excel in the new role :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

++++++++++++++++++

Those legs! :eek::eek::eek: TBL will lend you his wetsuit to cover them up :D

++++++++++++++++++

Those legs! :eek::eek::eek: TBL will lend you his wetsuit to cover them up :D

Only thing that would fit in that wetsuit after his ar$e is the back end of a bus!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Lots of catching up to do around here - sorry to read about the troubles, B. Hope you're doing well. The hammy\back thing sounds very familiar, if you need any advice on that front, drop me a line

Hey B, any update?

Hey B, any update?

The new log title is a saying my Dad instilled in me as a young lad, it mainly pertained to my playing of Gaelic Football but I think it’s a saying that can be applied to any part of our lives to be honest. Those wise words, I still try to follow to this day.

Lately some stuff I wasn’t doing right at all, too much alcohol for one. Those that know me well know I’m an all or nothing person, same applies to the way I drink. When I say drinking I only mean 1/2 times a week but those 1/2 times it was binge drinking and it had to stop. It was starting to affect my mind also, which I’ve come to recognise luckily. When it got to that point it was time to draw a line and give it a break for a while.

My running also was a complete joke, if I compare this years me to the 2019 one, there’s no comparison. I was probably in the shape of my life this time 12 months ago through hard work & dedication. Not the case this year, I know I could blame Covid but that’s just a lazy excuse. I control how I train and lately I’ve been to lazy and to quick to make rubbish excuses about not going for a run. It had to stop and I feel that it has.

I’m currently in week two of six of new job training, it’s pretty full on but I’m enjoying the new challenge. It’s already head & shoulders above my former employment in regards professionalism and ethics(knocking the job not the people). As a result of my resignation from AGS, my old log title couldn’t stand as I’m no longer eligible to compete in the World Fire & Police Games.

So that’s where I am AM, I’ll be back to update Sunday about six very boring days of easy running around Den Haag. There’s no goal on the horizon but when there is, if it’s worth doing, I’ll be doing it right!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

After your reply to my last log post I was respond by saying 'better days do indeed lie ahead'.

Seems apt for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good stuff, B, job training is just as important as real training. ;) Best of luck with it all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Is it not harder to stay motivated to get out when there's no race in mind? Must be hard to keep things alive in the circumstances?

A fellow new member to the teetotaller club here too. Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

Is it not harder to stay motivated to get out when there's no race in mind? Must be hard to keep things alive in the circumstances?

I absolutely think it's harder to stay motivated with no races. Or if you do sign up to a race, it has a real chance of being cancelled. So you are either training for a race a training block away that mightnt happen or a race that is suddenly on next week despite no specific training.

Depends on the frame of mind I suppose, although races are back here but in a small scale I’ve no desire to race. The new norm is training & hoping a race will go ahead!!! As I said, I was being completely lazy & not getting out and doing a pastime I love, stupid really but I I’ve turned the corner. Depriving yourself of something you love is just pointless.

If the CPC goes ahead here in March that’s the next race I will target, if it doesn’t there’s a smaller also local half going ahead roughly at the same time then I’ll switch to that.

• Advertisement

I'd have to agree with how hard it has been to stay motivated, I don't think you're alone there B. Glad to hear the new job is going well!

Stop being so hard on yourself, it's perfectly fine that you don't feel like racing and to take a break now and then too! You could follow a base training plan where there is goal race in mind, you're just maintaining/improving fitness, that in itself is a goal to stick to.

Alternatively, you could let TBL get fitter and faster than you - if that's not motivation I don't know what is!!!!

Not to sound like a patronising auld boll*x but it's been the best thing to happen to my running. Zero thoughts of racing. Good old fashioned consistent, uninterrupted training and building strength all the time. No pressure to try and peak, no pressure thinking about pb's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Not to sound like a patronising auld boll*x but it's been the best thing to happen to my running. Zero thoughts of racing. Good old fashioned consistent, uninterrupted training and building strength all the time. No pressure to try and peak, no pressure thinking about pb's.

That's grand and all. I enjoyed a long base training block this year coming back from a injury not thinking anything with no pressure. But racing is what it's all about and ultimately makes us better runners/athletes

MY BAD wrote: »
    But racing is what it's all about and ultimately makes us better runners/athletes

Time wise yes S, but the training/dedication is what gets us there.

MY BAD wrote:
    That's grand and all. I enjoyed a long base training block this year coming back from a injury not thinking anything with no pressure. But racing is what it's all about and ultimately makes us better runners/athletes

Similar to what B said I don't see a downside to taking a year or two out from racing, consistently getting the miles and quality in and the output will be a better runner. But that's just for me. I completely understand why people need races. I don't think I'm base building right now but I'm not racing either.

Similar to what B said I don't see a downside to taking a year or two out from racing, consistently getting the miles and quality in and the output will be a better runner. But that's just for me. I completely understand why people need races. I don't think I'm base building right now but I'm not racing either.

Base building for what though.....

OOnegative wrote:
    Base building for what though.....

I guess my point was just because you're not targeting a specific race doesn't mean you're base building. You can train beyond base building without a target race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

If the CPC goes ahead here in March that’s the next race I will target...

Half thinking of giving that a rattle B...I'm just a glutton for getting let down I suppose :) The man in charge set his PB there back in the day and he's always at me to go over and give it a rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I guess my point was just because you're not targeting a specific race doesn't mean you're base building. You can train beyond base building without a target race.

Treading water then? ;)

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote:
    Treading water then?

I don't think you need to be peaking for a race to improve as a runner.

Advertisement