Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I don't think you need to be peaking for a race to improve as a runner.

Ah I know. Quality training has a cumulative effect, in the same (but thankfully opposite) way that poor training has.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ah I know. Quality training has a cumulative effect, in the same (but thankfully opposite) way that poor training has.

Quality training can still be sporadic. Consistent training, or consistent quality training has a cumulative effect.

Base: can be as deep and wide as you need. A platform to build the pyramid upon. Just keep ticking over and you know you can throw a 6, 8, 12, 18 or whatever week plan to peak. You will get more out a standalone program. Sure, hard to keep motivated but take the time to build supplementary strength, flexibility, core and running without the pressure of compliance. Its strange times, but time to make hay too!

Quality training can still be sporadic. Consistent training, or consistent quality training has a cumulative effect.

Base: can be as deep and wide as you need. A platform to build the pyramid upon. Just keep ticking over and you know you can throw a 6, 8, 12, 18 or whatever week plan to peak. You will get more out a standalone program. Sure, hard to keep motivated but take the time to build supplementary strength, flexibility, core and running without the pressure of compliance. Its strange times, but time to make hay too!

Can training be quality if not consistent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Monday 7.9.2020

5.20 miles Recovery@8.47min/miles in 45mins 40secs

Straight out the door after a mentally taxing day at work for this. The legs were in good nick after a hard 15 miles the day before. Kept close to home and floated around Scheveningense Bosjes and Madurodam before finishing. Mind was a little more relaxed after thankfully.

Tuesday 8.9.20

7.10 miles Easy@8.05min/miles in 57mins 28secs

Like yesterday out the door more or less after finishing work, after my ten minute cycle home resulting in me being soaked through with sweat, I knew the run would be worse. And it was but oh so enjoyable out along the cycle paths in the dunes before turning for home and back via Westduinpark and Bosjes Van Poot. Soaked but very happy.

Wednesday 9.9.20

Rest Day.

Thursday 10.9.20

6.20 miles Easy@8.19min/miles in 51mins 37secs

Got finished somewhat early so got time to pick up my new Pegasus 37’s at the local delivery point. Tad disappointed with them first run out, very stiff mid-sole especially the right runner. Made the run slightly uncomfortable as a result but great to get out all the same.

Friday 11.9.20

Rest Day, came home and fell asleep on the bed till L woke me, a return to bed was much more appealing than a run after a mentally taxing week work wise.

Saturday 12.9.20

6+ miles Easy(last@LT)@7.56min/miles in 58mins 46secs

After watching the Chief’s team early doors win 10-0 in his match, himself bagging 4(5 in two games to start the season). Headed out for this and to give the Pegasus another spin, easy miles flew by as the runners loosened out. The LT mile felt good, but if I’m honest it was to fast for my current level of fitness and no way I had much more than another 4-5 in the tank at that pace.7.40 miles for the day.

Sunday 13.9.20

3ST, 1E, 2HMP, 1E, 1.5HMP

Out early afternoon into a warm, muggy day. Headed over towards Scheveningense Bosjes and onto Westbroekpark for the 3 Steady. The first mile easy brought me into Oostduinpark before exiting via Pompstationweg and the 2HMP miles. These felt good & controlled and came to an end just past the ICC.

Another mile easy before passing work and the last 1.5HMP, this felt better than the first two and it felt hard to call it at 1.5 as I reached home. 8.50 miles for the afternoon. Nothing to be bragging about granted but there’s some fitness there, if I stay consistent it will come back quickly enough I think. Important thing is that word “consistent”.

34.40 miles for the week from 5 days, I didn’t get the 6 days I wanted but the new job, while I’m throughly enjoying it, is taking a lot out of me mentally that is concentrating and focus wise. It’s a long time since I engaged my brain in that way(yeah, yeah the jokes are hilarious) so it will take a bit of getting used to, but I will. The magical 6 days and 40 miles will be achieved this week!!!

healy1835 wrote: »
    Half thinking of giving that a rattle B...I'm just a glutton for getting let down I suppose :) The man in charge set his PB there back in the day and he's always at me to go over and give it a rattle.

Surprised it doesn’t get a bigger interest around here to be honest J, always a great standard of Irish club runners competing in it and if the breeze is down it’s lightning fast(once held the WR for Half Marathon).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

OOnegative wrote: »
    Surprised it doesn’t get a bigger interest around here to be honest J, always a great standard of Irish club runners competing in it and if the breeze is down it’s lightning fast(once held the WR for Half Marathon).

Used to get a few over ( J, he had me convinced back in the day when I was looking to debut as well)

I think heat in some recent years has killed off a bit of Irish interest, there was a few scorchers in a row for a few years there which turned a few off from what I can remember.

KSU wrote: »
    I think heat in some recent years has killed off a bit of Irish interest, there was a few scorchers in a row for a few years there which turned a few off from what I can remember.

The year before last when it was cancelled cause of high winds, I remember seeing an ex club mate of yours(Tom F) in O Casey’s. A man never looked so depressed drinking water when it should have been celebratory pints of whatever!! He had a few other Irish elites with him whose names escape me.

The year before last when it was cancelled cause of high winds, I remember seeing an ex club mate of yours(Tom F) in O Casey’s. A man never looked so depressed drinking water when it should have been celebratory pints of whatever!! He had a few other Irish elites with him whose names escape me.

Pretty sure that was because he ruptured his calf in the last few km of that race if its the race I am thinking of (still finished in a time I could only dream of) :pac:

KSU wrote: »
    Pretty sure that was because he ruptured his calf in the last few km of that race if its the race I am thinking of (still finished in a time I could only dream of) :pac:

No, it was cancelled that morning only so he nor any of the rest got to race. So it was to O Casey’s anyway for us mortals while he & his pals done the smart thing and drank water!!

No, it was cancelled that morning only so he nor any of the rest got to race. So it was to O Casey’s anyway for us mortals while he & his pals done the smart thing and drank water!!

Haha sorry misread your post, a few demons for him over there on multiple years.

Haha wouldn't be like those lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Similar to what B said I don't see a downside to taking a year or two out from racing,

I'd be nearly 60 so.............. :pac:

Monday 14.9.20

7.45 miles Easy@8.08min/miles in 60mins 32secs

Out once more after work and into the 28 degree heat!!! Came home via the harbour which was absolutely wedged with people enjoying the late second summer. Sweated buckets.

Tuesday 15.9.20

6.10 miles Easy@8.19min/miles in 50mins 48secs

Just the 29 degrees today, out after work and took in a usual route around the local parks. Again perspiring ridiculously!!! Woke during the night literally roaring with a cramp in my calf, scared the life out of herself!!! Felt like someone was ripping a knife up my calf.

Wednesday 16.9.20

Rest Day, calf very tender.

Thursday 17.9.20

Rest Day, calf still on the sore side.

Friday 18.9.20

7.10 miles Steady@7.28min/miles in 53mins 03secs

Caught time wise & calf was feeling much better so decided on a Steady run, first time in god knows there was a bounce in my step and the running stride felt super comfortable. Felt great after this, again woke like Tuesday night in agony & again woke herself with similar calf pain!!!

Saturday 19.9.20

Rest Day, calf sore and refereed the Chief’s soccer match which didn’t help. Didn’t care as they won 9-8 with himself scoring 5(10 goals in 3 games for the season so far).

Sunday 20.9.20

Again Rest Day, calf not up to a run.

20.65 miles for the week, calf issues killed a week that started so well!! All I can do is keep plodding on and hope things will turn in a positive direction running wise for me soon.

Ouch. I’ve had a couple of those night cramps myself, but never in the same week! Are you replacing all those lost fluids?

Your young lad is thriving on the pitch!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ouch. I’ve had a couple of those night cramps myself, but never in the same week! Are you replacing all those lost fluids?

Your young lad is thriving on the pitch!

I think you hit the nail on the head with the fluids D, I neglected it badly last week and I think it may have been the cause of the night cramps.

It helps the young that he’s currently considerably bigger than his peers, plus he has a boot on him that would rival the great Eusebio for power!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I think you hit the nail on the head with the fluids D, I neglected it badly last week and I think it may have been the cause of the night cramps.

It helps the young that he’s currently considerably bigger than his peers, plus he has a boot on him that would rival the great Eusebio for power!!

Get the water in B, I've suffered from similar cramps over the summer and have had to get so much better at the fluid intake. I'm never anywhere without a bottle of water these days.

Well done to the young lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hey B,

My comment on Strava regarding the foam roller was moreso as a consequence of the cramps.
    No doubt the cramps are being caused by fluid intake - but the ongoing cramps could cause a knot to develop in the calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I get those too, the pain is horrendous! Never dawned on me re water, so worth trying definitely. Hopefully you get it resolved quickly.

Monday 21.9.20

Rest Day.

Tuesday 22.9.20

5.60 miles Easy@8.10min/miles in 45mins 43secs

Easy miles out along the sea front after a few days off with calf cramps, all felt good on this and no calf issues thankfully.

Wednesday 23.9.20

7.35 miles Easy@8.18min/miles in 61mins

I let the body dictate the pace on my runs at the minute, out again along the sea front towards Kijkduin before turning into Westduinpark and back home. Humid as hell out but a very enjoyable run.

Thursday 24.9.20

5.65 miles Easy@8.39min/miles in 48mins 50secs

Working from home today due to Covid as the training we are undertaking at present only allows 5 of us at a time. Fancied a very easy plod today so done that, stuck close to home taking in the usual parks along the way, very windy out.

Friday 25.9.20

7.40 miles Easy@8.18min/miles in 61mins 29secs

Working from home once more, damp day in Den Haag, as most others say, there's something strangely enjoyable about running in the rain. Loop up towards the Kurhaus down by the prison and home through the city. Lovely run.

Saturday 26.9.20

Rest Day, day just got away from me.

Sunday 27.9.20

8.30 miles Easy@8.19min/miles in 69mins 08secs

Sleepless night due to the new arrival in the house(4 legged and furry!!), so wasn't really in the humour for this but once i got going i was fine. Again out along the seafront as i watched the white horses roll in off the North Sea. Onto Kijkduin where i could see the Zandmotor was full of kite surfers enjoying the weather conditions, turned and home skirting Westduinpark. A run i would have liked to have extended by another 2-3 miles but was under pressure for time to get home.

34.30 miles for the week, much better than last week and something to build on from here. I will get out 6 days this week for sure and may throw a simple session of some kind in at the weekend depending on how the body copes.

Photos of the new arrival pleeeeesssse!!!! The excitement :D unless it's a cat, then don't bother :p

unless it's a cat, then don't bother :p

Like I’d let an animal that voluntarily licks its own a$$ into my house!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Must resist...:)

TbL

Must resist...:)

TbL

Obviously you’re the exception!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble B but dogs do that too :D and possibly TBL but luckily you don't let him in the front door these days :pac:

Sorry to burst your bubble B but dogs do that too :D

True enough AM, but like TbL they can lick there own balls to!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble B but dogs do that too :D and possibly TBL but luckily you don't let him in the front door these days :pac:

That’s coz I’m spending more time around yours...:)

TbL

That’s coz I’m spending more time around yours...:)

TbL

I was going to ask when you started answering to the name Woody but that's a slippery slope for sure :D:D:D

I was going to ask when you started answering to the name Woody but that's a slippery slope for sure :D:D:D

Ah Jesus must seriously resist...:)

TbL

Monday 28.9.20

6.25 miles Easy@8.25min/miles in 52mins 34secs

Afternoon run in the humid weather = a sweatfest for me. Handy miles around the neighbourhood to kick the week off.

Tuesday 29.9.20

Rest Day.

Wednesday 30.9.20

8.55 miles Easy@8.16min/miles in 1hr 10mins 47secs

Another run in humid weather out along the sea towards Kijkduin before turning and back home, still letting the body dictate the pace on a day to day basis.

Thursday 1.10.20

6.10 miles Easy@8.17min/miles in 50mins 32secs

Out in the morning in the rain, stuck to the local park and the mucky trails. A hugely enjoyable run despite the weather.

Friday 2.10.20

5.60 miles Progression@7.40min/miles in 42mins 59secs

Out after work and had a small window to get a run in, decided on a progression run. Headed to Bosjes Van Poot and Westduinpark and the trails to keep myself honest. A few soft sandy hills sapped the legs on a couple of occasions, felt good to hurt slightly again.

Saturday 3.10.20

w/u, 8x1min@5k(1min rec), c/d.

Having been awake since 3.50am i was in no mood at all to do this but decided to see how i felt on the warm up before pulling the plug. The legs hadn't fallen off so i was ok. The reps felt good and the splits for same were consistent:

6.01, 6.00, 5.58. 5.58, 5.59, 5.57, 5.54, 6.00.

Felt good to get something fast into the legs again albeit only short, 6.25 miles for the session. Young lads team lost 7-8, having been 6-0 down at halftime, he bagged himself another hat trick(13 goals in 4 games for the season).

Sunday 4.10.20

15.10 miles Endurance@7.09min/miles in 1hr 47mins 56secs(push on last 4 miles)

Windy morning in Den Haag as i chased the young lad on his bike on way to soccer school. Usual route around Zuiderpark and out to Rijswijk before doubling back to collect himself. I got skulled on more than one occasion by rock hard acorns falling off trees. The 4 miles at the end of the run felt good. Enjoyable run.

47.85 miles for the week, that's more like it. Decent week overall with a good longish run to cap it off. Sleep wasn't great during the week and that's something i need to keep an eye on as it affects me in other ways also. More of the same next week is the plan.

More of the same next week is the plan.

and...?

• Advertisement

and...?

New job & life got in the way AM.

Advertisement