Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That is hard to deal with, Barry. condolences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ah B so so sorry to read this. I can't imagine the myriad of emotions you are going through right now and will be for some time to come. Please mind yourself through this. May your friend RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Very sorry for your loss B.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Sorry for your loss, take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Sorry to hear that pal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Very sorry to read about your friend. That's such a hard loss to take. Mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Very sorry to read about the loss of your friend B. RIP. Horrible way to leave.
    I was wondering about that angry run and decided not to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Sorry to hear about your loss B. Take care of yourself. May your friend rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Very sorry to hear that news B, may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Thank you all so much for the lovely condolences, really epitomises what this forum is about.

There is a thread on the main forum that many of you have probably read at this stage, I joined this place a little more than 10 years ago, not a blues clue about running. I asked the most ridiculous questions be it on a persons log or within the main forum but not once did I feel there was a clique within the place. Not once did I feel ostracised.

I built up a relationship with others here, out of sheer want to get to know those people and nothing else.

Yes AMK is bronzed, but he’s a hell of a nice guy. Is Murph_D really that learned, let me tell you he is, and he’s probably the nicest man you’ll ever meet in your life. TbL really is that funny in real life, plus he’ll go out of his way to meet you for a run even after multiple 12+ hour flights.

Firedance is a lady and always will be. Swashbuckler does wear shorts and leggings but he’s a proper gentleman, skyblue46 is probably my best friend along with TbL, is that a clique, is it hell. And healy1835 really is that skinny but again he’s a gent like anyone I’ve bothered to get to know from this forum.

I’ll defend all the people mentioned above and many more, not because we’re all a member of the the cool club or a clique but because they are my friends, nothing else.

Come ask me a question anytime, I’ll do my best to answer it. I sure as hell ain’t here to alienate posters or people, if you bothered to read my history you’d know why.

I’ll leave it there, this forum is probably my main social outlet, I sure as hell ain’t ever going to try isolate anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

My God, Barry - that's tragic news - horrible to hear that.

May he rest in peace and may you take some amount of solace in the fact that you were there for him, you listened while others bullied, you helped while others probably sniggered, you spoke when he needed to hear it.

You are a good man Barry, I'm proud to call you a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

More often than not, you're the glue that binds us Barry, you take an interest in everyone's logs and keep the conversations going. I cant say it better than Alan so +++ to the above.

Mind yourself.

You're getting in early with a bid of post of the year B :p

More seriously lovely post and fair play, you've always been honest, up front and always interested in others and keen to help. Great traits in this fickle world.

I've never been called skinny before...but I'll take it :) We'll always have Mullingar Dalystown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Sorry to hear about your friend. That is really sad and really crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I don't wear shorts with the tights anymore.. Does that mean we're best friends now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

And how does one join the club?... asking for a friend :cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Jaysis Barry, we'll have to have that dinner party soon. Better get a few extra plates out too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

So very sorry to hear about your friend B. I’m on here fairly sporadically these days but drop me a PM at any stage if you want to chat.

Take care of yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend, Barry. Tragic news, I don't know what else to say.

• Advertisement

So back on the saddle somewhat this week, 23.70 miles spread over 4 runs Tuesday to Friday.

Woke early yesterday morning to bring the big lad to soccer, felt iffy from the get go but I promised herself a sleep on. It was a day of back & forth day to the bathroom and had zero energy to eat let alone run. Same story this morning letting the Boss sleep on. Still iffy but not as bad, nursing a pup with a bad bout of kennel cough also. Brought the eldest to ADO soccer camp and walked 3 large laps of Zuiderpark.

Plenty of time to think about stuff and think I maybe had a lightbulb moment!! Had some quality advice off Swashbuckler during the week also and appreciate that P.

Great running by TbL and ‘ariana over the weekend, both running massive PB’s over 5k and 10 miles respectively, well done lads!!!

Onto the real news, over 7,500 cases of COVID 19 here yesterday, a little over 7,000 today. Figures were well below 3,500 three weeks to a month ago. There will be no relaxing of lockdown rules here tomorrow judging on what was leaked from the Cathuis today. Curfew will stay and no terraces to open come the end of the month.

I was glued to the live racing in Dresden this morning and afternoon when I had the chance. God i long for the cut and thrust of real racing again, the smells, the nervous energy engulfing everyone. The joy of getting going and battling yourself and other fellow runners, helping some also that you’re not aware of. With the numbers as they are here, no racing of any real nature will happen in The Netherlands in 2021.

Oh and my favourite named German runner won the Half Marathon, Dick Ringer.

More comprehensive running update promised next week, I owe it to myself.

I hope you're feeling a bit better today B. Fair play on letting the boss sleep in even when you're weren't really up to it!

Thanks for the mention. As someone whose log is lying dormant despite best intentions :o I don't expect to get acknowledgements around these parts so I feel very honoured this morning :)

Monday 22.3.21

Rest Day

Tuesday 23.3.21

6.40miles GA@8.16min/miles in 52mins 54secs

Lovely run in the early Dutch evening sun, up towards Scheveningen before skirting around Westbroekpark and into Nieuwe Scheveningenshe Bosjes for a bit before finally doing a lap of St Hubertuspark and home.

Wednesday 24.3.21

w/u, 2x15mins Steady(3min recs), c/d.

Home from work and out the gap, headed towards Zuiderpark for this as it had been a while since i ran there, two miles warm up and into the Steady miles around the park. Loads of people out and about doing various sorts of exercises which was great to see. The steady miles were comfortable and never troubled me. Two mile cool down home and 8.38 miles done for the day.

Thursday 25.3.21

5.40miles GA@8.18min/miles in 44mins 51secs

Once more home and out the door, more glorious sunshine to run in. Was treated to some impromtu jazz music as i ran around Van Stolkpark with a trumpet player playing one side of the lake and a cello and saxophone echoing from the other side. I could still hear it a good mile away and it made me smile happily, nice musical treat as i ran.

Friday 26.3.21

5.10miles GA@8.12min/miles in 44mins 48secs

A quick jaunt around the trails of Bosjes Van Poot and Westduinpark, wonderfully secluded places to run around here if you just want to escape everyone and thing.

Saturday 27.3.21

7.30miles GA@8.05min/miles in 59mins 03secs

Out in the early afternoon sun, this was one of those runs you don't want to finish. I bounced along watching the world go by happy in the enjoyment of my run, plenty of people out and about which explains the rising COVID numbers here but how are people expected to stay inside on a day like today, life is for enjoying.

Sunday 28.3.21

8.25miles GA@8.14min/miles in 68mins

Out again early afternoon to blow a few cobwebs off from a few drinks the evening before and man was there a wind out!! Ran along the beach at one point and the sand was cutting the back of legs due to the strength of the wind at times. Came to a standstill once or twice on the return to home but didn't care, it was great to be out.

40.80 miles for the week. One thing i wanted to do this week was get out 6 days which i achieved and try build a routine once more. The cold spell in February really knocked the running back after an enthusiastic January. Hope to finish March out on a high then kick one once more in April.

Well over 7,000 cases of Covid-19 here daily for past week, doesn't bode well at all for any kind of racing in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend B. Only reading it now. I hope you're feeling okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great week there B. With case numbers as they are how were they able to allow fans into the World Cup qualifier in Amsterdam?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Great week there B. With case numbers as they are how were they able to allow fans into the World Cup qualifier in Amsterdam?

Cheers S, I’m afraid Mr Rutte or Mr De Jonge are the only ones to give you a logical explanation about the football fans. While great to see & hear, not the right time yet.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Cheers S, I’m afraid Mr Rutte or Mr De Jonge are the only ones to give you a logical explanation about the football fans. While great to see & hear, not the right time yet.

They're hardly organising the marathon as well? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

healy1835 wrote: »
    They're hardly organising the marathon as well? :)

Haha I knew that was coming..

I haven’t been dawdling or been lazy since I haven’t updated the log in nearly 3 weeks. Life has been hectic here in The Netherlands in that time but in a good way. Work for both my wife & I has been busy, but in a good way for us as we’re doing work that we find interesting and informative.

This day two weeks ago we bought ourselves a house, a place we can call our own for how ever long we will be staying here. It’s right on the edge of the city centre closer to the nice restaurant’s and bar’s which might not be a good thing!! By pure coincidence we bought the house off another Irish family, what are the odds on that!!

Week 29th March - 4th April - 44.40miles off 5 runs

The highlight of this week was an extremely hungover 13+ mile Endurance run on the Sunday as the eldest attended soccer camp. Highlight being in previous incarnations of my running life there was no way I would have done this. Something possibly has changed!!

Week 5th - 11th April - 41.40miles off 5 runs

Again the highlight this week was the Sunday Endurance run, I ran out through the trails of the Meijendal to the leafy, swanky parts of Wassenaar. Houses with cars parked in the driveway that definitely indicate the male occupants are compensating for something. It’s a place TbL would reside if he lived here!!

Anyway the run was tough towards the last few miles as the tiredness from working nights that week & minimal sleep kicked in. I dogged it out though, but like any, a lovely run in a different way.

I will be back with a full appraisal Monday of this weeks running, nothing exciting to report but another week of mileage in the 40’s and heading in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Congrats on the new house!
    Glad the running is going well again

Advertisement