Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Week 1/12 Amsterdam Half Prep!!

Monday 29.7.19

Rest Day. Back in Den Haag sans family, i promised myself a few drinks the night before to celebrate Sliabh Bawn, was more than a few!!

Tuesday 30.7.19

5.40 Miles Easy@8.17min/miles in 44min 43secs

This was supposed to be was a bonus run going on the plan, wasn't feeling the best but put it down to the heat and humidity!!

Wednesday 31.7.19

7.20 Miles Gen Aerobic + 8x100m strides@8.27 in 60min 47secs

Literally soaked through on my post run in the morning, waterproofs were of absolute no use either:(:(:(. Got home into running gear and out the door hoping to miss more biblical rain, from the outset i was off on this, just lethargic and breathing being laboured. Crap run.

Thursday 1.8.19

w/u, 15min LT(4min rec) 12min LT(4min rec), c/d

The first 15 mins LT got done, the 12 mins was 4 minutes old before i fell flat on my face into a ditch. Nothing else to be said.

Friday 2.8.19

Rest Day, enforced. Friday is light post wise, i struggled to cycle with 10kgs of post let alone my normal 40/50kgs. Came home fell asleep on couch for 3 hours, woke in pool of sweat and made my way to my bed!!

Saturday 3.8.19

9.65 Miles Gen Aerobic@8.19min/miles in 1hr 20min 15secs

Glorious day in Den Haag, into work early and got my loops out of the way before 1pm, home and out the gap. Lethargy was still evident but much less than earlier in the week. Sweated buckets on this due to the humidity, my shorts started out light blue but ended up dark navy.

Sunday 4.8.19

7.65 Miles Gen Aerobic@8.17min/miles in 63min 23secs

Best run of the week, bouncing off the road again and really really enjoyed this. It was an absolute belter of a morning in Holland. As i came around by Badhuisweg i contemplated heading up Pompstationweg for a longer run, but still conscious of not being well all week i headed for Madurodam instead and towards home.

38.30 miles for the week when it should have been 46 per plan. Best get the crap week out of the way in week 1 say than later in the plan, better week on the way as i feel i'm back to full strength now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Balance is restored.

juke wrote: »
    Balance is restored.

As in my stupidity J.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great news, wish someone would have told me you'd started a new log.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Great to see you back logging again b.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Brilliant, love the race report! Well done again.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Passed the Mill Centre, was here another Guard and myself helped crack one of the biggest Robbery cases in the history of the state*
    Ah now we need a report about this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

A shiny new log with a race victory and a 10k PB to start with B, well done. The very best of luck with the long term goal.

Week 2/12 Amsterdam Half Prep!!

Monday 5.8.19

9.15 miles Gen Aerobic@8.26mi/miles in 1hr 17mins 07secs

Hot and Humid!!

Tuesday 6.8.19

7.10 miles Gen Aerobic(6x12sec hills + 8x100m strides)@8.19min/miles in 59mins 06secs

Wednesday 7.8.19

Rest

Thursday 8.8.19

11.10 miles Endurance @7.49min/miles in 1hr 26mins 45secs

Hot but minus the humidity for once, felt strong running this despite the heat.

Friday 9.8.19

w/u, 18min LT(4min rec), 14min LT(4min rec), c/d

85% humidity on this so paired the pace back, glad i did as i sweated buckets. Glad to get it done. 9.70 miles for session.

Saturday 10.8.19

5.05 miles Gen Aerobic@8.28min/miles in 42mins 45secs

Sunday 11.8.19

Rest, severely hungover:o:o:o.

42.40 miles for the week.

Week 3/12 Amsterdam Half Prep!!

Monday 12.8.19

Rest, still feeling effects of alcohol!!

Tuesday 13.8.19

8.40 miles Gen Aerobic@8.28 in 1hr 11min 11secs

Wednesday 14.8.19

Rest.

Thursday 15.8.19

12.10 miles Endurance@7.46min/miles in 1hr 34mins 01secs

Felt great on this despite the usual high humidity.

Friday 16.8.19

7.45 miles Gen Aerobic(8x100m strides + 6x12sec hills)@8.16min/miles in 61mins 36secs

Saturday 17.8.19

w/u, 20min LT(4min rec), 16min LT, c/d

Strongest i've felt on one of these LT runs, had to stop a few times for traffics lights or give way to cyclists but got back into pace very easily. Big confidence boost. 10.10 miles for session.

Sunday 18.8.19

12 miles Endurance with last mile@LT +30secs@7.39min/miles in 1hr 31mins 51secs

Tired starting out but once i got running I had to rein the pace back, felt very strong on this despite the usual humidity:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

50.05 miles for the week.

I've been struggling mentally again for past few weeks so the log suffered as a result. Have a fair idea what triggered the change and steps have been put in place to make sure it doesn't happen again. First real wobble in a longtime so it scared me somewhat to be honest, working day by day to get back to myself and it appears to be working. Will update the log twice weekly from here on in as i'm failing to remember details of runs and how i felt on same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I keep a Word doc on my computer to throw stuff into during the week, before tidying it up for posting. Wipe it then and start over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Mind yourself B, hope you're ok.

• Advertisement

Week 4/12 Amsterdam Half Prep!!

Monday 19.8.19

Rest Day.

Tuesday 20.8.19

8.05 miles Gen Aerobic@8.28min/miles in 68mins 08secs

Just the heat to deal with on this one, second summer has arrive in the Netherlands. Out and through Park Zorgvliet, Scheveningense Bosjes, around Westbroekpark and looping back home the way i went.

Wednesday 21.8.19

6.25 miles Easy/Gen Aerobic@8.28min/miles in 52min 56secs

Same loop as yesterday more or less with a bit shaven off, lovely warm evening in Den Haag.

Thursday 22.8.19

8.65 Gen Aerobic + 8x100m strides@8.20min/miles in 1hr 12mins 08secs

Legs were dead on this, not sure if new runners are required or its the extra walking delivering the mail, have been assigned extra loops lately as i'm to ´efficient´. It was hot, hot, hot out mid afternoon.

Friday 23.8.19

Rest Day, visitors arrived from home so no chance to run.

Saturday 24.8.19

10.30 miles Gen Aerobic@8.29min/miles in 1hr 27mins 24secs

Out before work on this one, first few miles are always a slog on runs in the morning but once i loosened out i enjoy it. Out and through Bosjes Van Poot and Westduinpark before heading back for the harbour and onto Westbroekpark. Few runners out and all had a friendly ´Hoi´ for me. Looped back through Scheveningense Bosjes and back home. Young lad came to work with me then and delivered the mail with me.

Sunday 25.8.19

Kerkpolderloop 5k - 18.30.10(4th/90)

Not bore ye with a full blown report on this, seeing it was a stepback week plan wise i said i'd give this a bash. Up and caught the tram to Delft and walked the 2k or so to race start. At 8am i knew it was going to be hot, got to race HQ and changed and done a decent warm up, back to the start line and a quick briefing in Dutch. I could decipher from my limited understanding that it was already 25 degrees out, and it felt it. Bang on 10.15am we were away, few runners went out quick and they turned out to be the 3 that finished ahead of me, one a female runner who won that had a beautiful running style.

First mile went to plan and moved into 3rd for a time until more or less half way through the second mile the legs had enough, i tried to force the pace a few time but they were not having it, paired the pace back and the runner i had passed overtook me again. Finished out mile two and just ran tempo pace for the rest of the race. The legs had nothing more to give and that's all i had on the morning, ran the best race i could. Mile splits were 5.47, 5.59, 6.17 and 5.18 for last bit. Had a chat with the runner who finished ahead of me, he was Spanish and found it very warm so it must have been. Turns out it was a diverse top 4, first two runners were Australian, 3rd Spanish and 4th a pasty Irishman. Great event for €2, chip timing accurate route and Tropical weather. 6.80 miles for the morning.

40.05 miles for the week and i'm way behind updating again.

My humour has improved again, its like the old tv's that had the built in rabbit ears. The picture is fuzzy to begin with and you have to adjust it till the picture gets clearer but even the slightest adjustment can knock the picture off again till you eventually get it perfect and all is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Good stuff Barry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice one B! Like the aside there about the Spanish lad feeling warm. You may well be acclimitising, and I hope you are, but reading between the lines here I think you nailed it. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 crockmac

Great event for €2, chip timing accurate route and Tropical weather.

That's outstanding value all right.

I'm still new to these parts, but it's great to see the new log and some inspiring results. Fair play.

Week 5/12 Amsterdam Half Prep!!

Monday 26.8.19

Rest Day.

Tuesday 27.8.19

8.10 miles Gen Aerobic@8.28min/miles in 68mins 32secs

It was over 30 degrees heading out at 5pm on this, but thankfully no humidity to deal with. Usual jaunt around the neighbourhood, serious amount of sweating took place!!

Wednesday 28.8.19

8.10 miles Gen Aerobic & 2(6x100m strides)@8.15min/miles in 66mins 53secs

Humid, humid, humid is i can say on this one. Unreal amount of sweat but an enjoyable run none the less.

Thursday 29.8.19

11.20 miles Endurance@7.48min/miles in 1hr 27mins 21secs

Again another humid run, headed for Ooostduinpark on up Pompstationweg and up the Col de Scheveningen where i turned around and retraced my steps back home. Felt great on this once more despite the humidity,

Friday 30.8.19

w/u, 22min LT(4mins rec), 18min LT, c/d

Another warm day out so i headed to Zuiderpark where i knew i'd get some shade from the tree cover in the park. From knowledge of running here the Garmin tends to be 2-3 secs off pace wise so took that into consideration also. Toughest run i had in a long while, just a mental slog to get the LT stuff done. Ask me to run a 10 mile race at that pace i wouldn't doubt myself, but do it as a solo session with recovery period inbetween it becomes an issue:rolleyes:. Got it done but it was hard work, splits on the LT sections were:

22min - 6.28, 6.26, 6.23, 6.19(3.41miles)

18min - 6.26, 6.23, 6.29(2.78miles)

10.65 miles for the session.

Saturday 31.8.19

3.30 miles Recovery@8.55min/miles in 29mins 31secs

Just the 28 degrees today!! My legs were feeling effects of yesterdays sessions so was glad of the recovery pace miles.

Sunday 1.2.19

Rest Day, zero window for a run.

Monday 2.2.19

14 miles Endurance with last 3@LT@7.29min/miles in 1hr 44mins 45secs

Cheating a little on this but its within the day period i work off for a week so i'm counting it:P:P:P. Out late afternoon into the sun but for first time there was a cooling breeze to accompany it. Ran the first 7 miles out towards Monster into said cooling breeze and felt great. Turned around and felt the benefit of the breeze at my back straight away. Shared the cycle lane with the bikes on the way back with no issues as always. Knew the LT miles would be the lumpiest part of my route but was looking forward to them. Into pace no bother and they flew by, i felt super strong despite the previous 11 miles in the legs. Splits for last 3 were:

6.24, 6.23, 6.21.

Take another 10 at that pace in 7 weeks!!

55.35 miles for the week. Good weeks running and a few confidence building runs in there, chomping at the bit again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice going B.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice going B.

Cheers D, feeling good(hope those aren’t famous last words!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

You're banging out great training runs on a regular basis B. Long may it continue.

Week 6/12 Amsterdam Half Prep!!

Tuesday 3.9.19

4.15 miles Recovery@8.54min/miles in 36mins 54secs

Easy jaunt around Bosjes Van Poot and Westduinpark to loosen the legs out after previous days longer run. Legs woke up after mile or so, glad the pace was slow.

Wednesday 4.9.19

9.15 miles Gen Aerobic@8.27min/miles in 1hr 17mins 27secs

Bit of an urban trot this evening, headed in towards the city centre to check the Malieveld out for a potential venue for a session. Perfectly flat square of a kilometre in length ideal for running sessions, ventured on into Haagsche Bos and some of the lovely little lakes within it. Enjoyable run.

Thursday 5.9.19

7.35 miles Gen Aerobic + 6x12secs Hills & 8x100m strides@8.14min/miles in 60mins 31secs

Usual route for this session around Scheveningse Bosjes and Park Zorgvliet, nice little hill here for doing the hills, short and sharp. Was suppose to be session day but it was blowing an absolute gale and would have been pointless, tired on this, sleep not great of late.

Friday 6.9.19

Rest Day, badly needed to.

Saturday 7.9.19

12.40 miles Endurance@7.44min/miles in 1hr 35mins 57secs

On out towards Monster before turning off in Ockenburgh and taking in a few laps of the hills, there was a triathlon on using the hills also for the mountain bike route. They were more than happy to share the route with me. My hips tightened up towards the end of this, first time in a while for that to happen.

Sunday 8.9.19

w/u, 3x1,200m +3x1k@5k(2mins rec), c/d

Left this till afternoon time, few drinks the evening before so wanted the effects to wear off a bit. Into town again and to the Malieveld to do this, had the entire place to myself. Into the session after the warm up, first one as always hurt but after that i was comfortable enough. Drinks the evening before made this slighlty tougher but never a question of being under pressure in anyway. Paces for intervals came in as follows:

5.50, 5.52, 5.50, 5.50, 5.49, 5.47.

Nice session and a location i'll use again. 10.20 miles for the session.

Monday 9.9.19

15 miles Endurance@7.46min/miles in 1hr 56mins 35secs

Off into Oostduinpark and its wonderful surrounds for this, out and back route that took me onto some trails i had never ran on before. Glorious morning for a run in Den Haag, slightly cool and sunny with limited humidity. Body feeling good after previous days session and finished this strong.

58.25 miles for my week and feeling strong at the end of it. Half way through the plan and all going as I hoped, not sure about my fitness level but will find that out in a few weeks with a race in the schedule. Dreaded 40 minute Tempo on the cards this week, mind battle starting already. Good weeks running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Are you following a plan or is it all self coaching?

• Advertisement

Are you following a plan or is it all self coaching?

Following a 12 week P&L plan, maxes at 63 miles. Enjoying it, love the Endurance runs on the plan as it’s a big weakness of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just found this log B - thought you'd gone!

If I said well done on the win (page 1), would it be too late??

Just found this log B - thought you'd gone!

I’m like a drug addict who just can’t quit with this place A.......

Thanks for the well done, never to late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Have you not heard. He's picking soft races for wins. Shocking stuff.

Have you not heard. He's picking soft races for wins. Shocking stuff.

Haha!!! Low blow that!!

Week 7/12 Amsterdam Half Prep!!

Tuesday 10.9.19

4.50miles Recovery@8.57min/miles in 40mins 19secs

If i could have fallen asleep while running this to i would have been very happy, tired body & legs.

Wednesday 11.9.19

Rest Day, i knew few weeks back this was on the plan. Herself had meetings all day that ran into evening.

Thursday 12.9.19

9.75miles Gen Aerobic@8.25min/miles in 1hr 22mins 09secs

Glorious early evening run in Den Haag, the sun was out and it was warm, nice warm though. Looping back in via Kijkduin the sun shining off the North Sea was beautiful, some seriously big container ships visible out at sea also.

Friday 13.9.19

w/u, 40min Tempo, c/d.

I was dreading this since last week when i seen it on the plan, the unseasonal warm afternoon didn't help with the apprehension either. Set off on my usual route for doing these sesssions, two mile warm up brought me to the cycle lanes and off i went. One thought in my head only, stay relaxed. Into pace handy enough and on out past Kijkduin where i turned at 20mins in and back into the usual breeze. Working a bit harder on the return but nothing major, back to my starting point and i was done and very happy with job i made of the session. Apart from a few stops for bicycles i was in the zone the whole way, mile splits for Tempo were:

6.22, 6.23, 6.21, 6.21, 6.23, 6.24, 6.12.

Thigh and hamstring cramped a bit on cool down which has never happened to me before, 10.25 miles for the day.

Saturday 14.9.19

Rest Day, like Wednesday knew i wouldn't get out today.

Sunday 15.9.19

10.40miles Endurance@7.46min/miles in 1hr 20mins 52secs

Warm afternoon run out towards Kijkduin which was mental due to the weather and a more urban return back down Laan Van Meerdervoort and home, hamstring tightened up shortly after the run and remained that way for the evening.

Monday 16.9.19

Enforced rest due to said hamstring, was suppose to run 16 mile Endurance with last 3@LT but not a hope with the hammer.

34.90 miles for the week:(:(:(.

I had swapped my weeks around mileage wise from next week to this due to the two rest days being involved, but i didn't envisage a hamstring strain of some kind to come into effect though. Deal with it and hope it doesn't keep me off the road for long, never had a hamstring issue before:confused::confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Hopefully the hammer is nothing sinister B but good to see you being sensible with it.

That tempo session that you done on Friday is animal - that's a real indicator of the shape you are in. I think the key with the long tempos is to ease into the pace and feel your way into it.

Week 8/12 Amsterdam Half Prep!!

Monday 16.9.19

Rest Day, hamstring sore and was starting to worry as the day went on as there was no ease at all in it. Went to bed very despondent.

Tuesday 17.9.19

7.20 miles Gen Aerobic@8.27min/miles in 60mins 52secs

After zero feedback from the hamstring while walking and cycling delivering the mail i ventured out around the neighbourhood for a few miles to see how it held up, not a peep out of it thankfully and all was good in the world once more.

Wednesday 18.9.19

10.25 miles Gen Aerobic + 2(5x150m strides)@8.09min/miles in 1hr 23mins 34secs

Set off down Segbroeklaan and made my way onto Laan Van Meerdervoort and on towards Ockenburgh where after clearing the trees around the golf course i started the strides, cautious not to go off to hard but wanted to see how the hammy held up all the same. Need not have worried as it held up just fine as i ran back towards home along Cort Van der Lindenpad, 7 big container ships out in the North Sea snaking there way away from Europort and onto there next destination.

Thursday 19.9.19

9 miles Gen Aerobic@8.24min/miles in1hr 15mins 43secs

Loop around Westduinpark, the harbour, Westbroekpark, Nieuw Scheveningse Bosjes and home in the afternoon sun. Lovely afternoon to be running.

Friday 20.9.19

Enforced Rest Day, no window to run with herself heading out.

Saturday 21.9.19

8.10 miles Gen Aerobic@8.10min/miles in 66mins 33secs

Same route as Tuesday with a bit added on, was tight for time as the better half and myself were heading out, another sunny afternoon for a run. Loads of various types of sport being played in the pitches i ran past.

Sunday 22.9.19

5.65 miles Gen Aerobic@8.23min/miles in 47mins 21secs

A lap around Scheveningse Bosjes and the new version of same before heading to the ADO Den Haag match with the Chief. On the wrong end of the result again after totally dominating the game, could well be a long season:mad::mad:. Ajax at home next:eek::eek:.

Monday 23.9.19

12.85 miles Endurance@7.42min/miles in 1hr 38mins 57secs

Set off towards Monster in the prevailing wind and was feeling the love for this straight away, turned onto the drag along Schelpenpad, right at the top of the drag back towards Kijkduin along the cycle lanes. Bouncing off the surface even in the 90%+ humidity. One of those runs you wished would not end, got home drenched in sweat but delighted with my mornings work.

53.05 miles for my week that was supposed to include a race but for the first time i'd say since i came here there was no race of any kind on around Den Haag. Not a bad thing i suppose considering how the hamstring was at the start of the week. Happy to get the mileage back up even though it was mostly easy stuff. Three weeks of decent training left to go!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I like the thread title. Reminds me of old sci-fi films where the 21st century would often be talked about in terms of flying cars, etc. We ain't there yet, but at least we can still run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I find the L protocol very helpful for hamstring strains

Simple exercises that take less than 5 minutes. The only problem is being diligent and making yourself do them consistently. It has always worked for me though

Advertisement