Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I find the L protocol very helpful for hamstring strains

Simple exercises that take less than 5 minutes. The only problem is being diligent and making yourself do them consistently. It has always worked for me though

Cheers Kate.

Week 9/12 Amsterdam Half Prep!!

Tuesday 24.9.19

9.45 miles Easy/Gen Aerobic@8.26min/miles in 1hr 19 40secs

Wet, wet, wet out but the usual 90%+ humidity still lurked. A lap around Westduinpark, the harbour and around by Scheveningse Bosjes and home. A sweaty wetty run.

Wednesday 25.9.19

Rest Day, had to due to family circumstances.

Thursday 26.9.19

11.35 miles Endurance@7.42 in 1hr 27mins 29secs

Another sweaty wetty run on up Laan Van Meerdervoort around Ockenburgh and back home through Kijkduin along the cycle paths.Humidity still in the 90's. Last mile of this was at LT plus 30secs and it felt very comfortable, was travelling at 5.15 pace along the last section of it according to Garmin Connect:eek:.

Friday 27.9.19

6.20 miles Easy@8.28min/miles in 52mins 34secs

Lap around Scheveningse Bosjes, Madurodam and Westbroekpark and back home. Body feeling good. Watched the woman's marathon later that night, dropping like flies because of a measly 78% humidity, pfft, come run with me!!!

Saturday 28.9.19

w/u, 6x1,200m@5k(50% rec), c/d

Really was w/u, 4x1,200m@5k and plug pulled. I was looking forward to this all week when i seen it on the plan, i enjoy 5k paced sessions to be honest. From the off though i was working to hard, breathing very laboured and legs weren't feeling it. I considered pulling the plug after 3 but gave it one more to see before knowing that was my lot. Few years back this would have thrown me but i know by now that there will be a few bad sessions in a plan, i haven't had many during this one so i was due. Longer cool down than expected for 10.35 miles for my afternoon.

Sunday 29.9.19

Enforced Rest Day, weather warning in Den Haag and man did it rain, crazy stuff at times during the day. Weather has to be severe for me to not run, today it was.

Monday 30.9.19

16.70miles Endurance@7.41min/miles in 2hrs 8mins 18secs

The effects of yesterdays weather in full view as i made my way up Laan Van Meerdervoort at 10am this morning, surface water everywhere made it feel like a steeplechase at times, turned onto Monsterweg and on out towards Monster and Ter Heijde into a fairly still beeze that never really bothered me. On past the cannons that commemorate the [URL="http:///en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Scheveningen"]http:///en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Scheveningen
    [/URL]
    for a mile then turned around and glided along with the wind at my back on through Kijkduin then the cycle paths and home. Like last Monday, a run i did not want to end. Feeling super strong on this.

54.05 miles for the week with one run missed because of weather. Another week i'm happy with, no real bad signs of fatigue and getting used to the consecutive 50 mile weeks. One more of those left before i enter taper, will be living like a monk till the 20th of October:):):). Another thing that cheered me up today, i started the year weighing 85kgs+ currently just above 75kgs, loss of over 10kgs which can only help my running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭MY BAD

The thing with weight is be careful loosing weight when building towards a race. I think it's better to drop a few kg in the winter time when you're ticking over. Food is the fuel and runners need a lot of it, especially if training towards a half or full. I would rank food and sleep and two of the most important things for runners.

The thing with weight is be careful loosing weight when building towards a race. I think it's better to drop a few kg in the winter time when you're ticking over. Food is the fuel and runners need a lot of it, especially if training towards a half or full. I would rank food and sleep and two of the most important things for runners.

No issues with food anyway, getting plenty of it and all the right stuff. Fruit, veg, diary and cabs in my diet and my wife is very conscious of me having a good diet with running as well as setting a good example for our children. Sleep can be up and down but that’s something i’ve suffered with all my adult life, it’s good at the minute so hopefully it will stay that way for another few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I'm all caught up, you won a race (well done!), you adjusted your fuzzy rabbit ears to get a clearer picture (glad to hear the picture is clear again..) and you're a boards 'drug' addict - yep, there's a definite pull back to this place for sure!

Good to see a new log, with some new, very impressive goals. No better man.

• Advertisement

I'm all caught up, you won a race (well done!), you adjusted your fuzzy rabbit ears to get a clearer picture (glad to hear the picture is clear again..) and you're a boards 'drug' addict - yep, there's a definite pull back to this place for sure!

Good to see a new log, with some new, very impressive goals. No better man.

Thanks for the kind words AM, great to see you back up and about again to after your ordeal.

Week 10/12 Amsterdam Half Prep!!

Tuesday 1.10.19

Rest Day, would be the common theme this week.

Wednesday 2.10.19

9.25 miles Easy@8.27mi/miles in 1hr 18mins 13secs

Chilly afternoon run, first signs of a chill in the air coming in off the North Sea. A run on past Kijkduin before looping around again through Westduinpark and home.

Thursday 3.10.19

5.50 miles Gen Aerobic@8.15min/miles in 45mins 27secs

Small window to get this in, quick loop towards the harbour cutting in through Westduinpark and home through Bosjes Van Poot.

Friday 4.10.19

Rest Day.

Saturday 5.10.19

w/u, 8miles@HMP, c/d.

This was the important run of the week, i was suppose to race but couldn't get the day off. I briefly thought of a 5 mile time trial, but its easy to throw the towel in when running it solo as you genuinely know its not a race!! So went for some decent mileage at HMP. Out more or less straight after work, it was a perfect afternoon for running cool and little or no breeze.

A two mile warm up and started into the HMP miles, quickly into pace as i headed on towards Kijkduin. Plan was to run towards Monster on the cycle paths before tuning onto the Schelpenpad and onto Monsterweg an back for home. On through Kijkduin and onto the cycle path i was moving well when i spied a man standing on the side of the path, as i got closer i seen what he was doing. Taking a leak and not a care in the world who seen his particulars:eek::eek::eek:. Could do nothing but laugh as i passed, on into Westland i encountered the only rise on the route where the path kicks up for 400m or so, caused no issues. Onto the Schelpenpad and dropped down towards Monsterweg.

Brief pause to cross the road and back into it, feeling great. Back into Loosduinen and up Ockenburgstraat which is a gentle climb but nothing to effect the pace, pause for a bit at lights as i cross onto Laan Van Meedervoort for last half mile. Delighted how i was still feeling, hit ten miles and the end of the HMP miles. Is there another 5.1 miles at that pace left? i would like to think there is. Splits were:

6.22, 6.20, 6.20, 6.20, 6.20, 6.18, 6.18, 6.19.

12.50 miles for the afternoon.

Sunday 6.10.19

Rest Day.

27.25miles for the week. A week i knew was coming long before i started the plan as herself was on a course all week that involved early starts and some very late finishes that ruled out any runs. Family comes first, that goes without saying before running. A real confidence boosting run Saturday so the week wasn't a total bust. Two weeks:eek::eek::eek:!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Wow 8m @ HMP. With no breaks. Either that's a savage session or you're sandbagging big time :p

Nice work Barry :D

Wow 8m @ HMP. With no breaks. Either that's a savage session or you're sandbagging big time :p

Nice work Barry :D

Cheers Kate, it’s the former rather than the latter!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice one Barry, no harm in a low mileage week every so often, as your excellent HMP run demonstrates.

• Advertisement

Week 11/12 Amsterdam Half Prep!!

Monday 7.10.19

Rest Day.

Tuesday 8.10.19

7.10 miles General Aerobic@8.19min/miles in 59mins 06secs

Usual neighbourhood jaunt around the various parks and forests nearby, one think still very evident even though the temperatures have dropped is the high humidity. I sweated buckets on this even though the temp was 12 degrees max.

Wednesday 9.10.19

Rest Day, work went on a lot longer than it should. It was lashing rain to boot and i slipped badly aggravating my right foot. Very painful for rest of day and evening:mad::mad::mad:.

Thursday 10.10.19

11.15 miles Gen Aerobic@8.20min/miles in 1hr 32mins 54secs

Yesterday's and today's run rolled into one, the foot was still quiet tender to walk on but caused no issues while running:confused:. Tired legs and body on this, work possibly the cause of this, busy at the minute and the loads of post are a lot heavier than normal on the bike. Met the Dutch army out on a training run in full battle dress.

Friday 11.10.19

6.50 miles Gen Aerobic@8.20min miles in 54min 11secs

Brutal day here weather wise, got absolutely soaked through at work. Tired plod in the rain.

Saturday 12.10.19

Rest Day, foot very sore.

Sunday 13.10.19

12.70 miles Endurance@7.24min/miles in 1hr 33mins 58secs

Woke and foot felt ok, the young lad is attending an ADO Den Haag soccer school of a Sunday morning so i ran down with him and done laps of Zuiderpark as he trained. Again no issues from the foot on this, few faster miles thrown in as i tried to keep up as himself cycled.

37.45 miles for the week. Feel like i'm falling over the line with the plan, the foot issue knocked the confidence this week and its something i will get looked at after next Sunday as long as it behaves till then. This day next week i hope to have a very happy hangover:D:D:D!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote:
    37.45 miles for the week. Feel like i'm falling over the line with the plan, the foot issue knocked the confidence this week and its something i will get looked at after next Sunday as long as it behaves till then. This day next week i hope to have a very happy hangover !!!

I have visions of you and Sean waking very hungover in some very dodgy part of Amsterdam. Haha.

I have visions of you and Sean waking very hungover in some very dodgy part of Amsterdam. Haha.

No he sent strict instructions to buy some Ovaltine as he needs to be in bed by 10.30pm at the latest. Feckin OAP’s........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

OOnegative wrote: »
    Week 11/12 Amsterdam Half Prep!!

37.45 miles for the week. Feel like i'm falling over the line with the plan, the foot issue knocked the confidence this week and its something i will get looked at after next Sunday as long as it behaves till then. This day next week i hope to have a very happy hangover:D:D:D!!!

I think the last number of months has seen you in fine form, probably the best you've been in.

I've no doubt that it'll be a happy hangover next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

As a result of Ireland losing to Japan they are now playing New Zealand on Saturday morning. This might result in my hangover being brought forward a day and my target time for the half increased to 2:15 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Good luck on Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

You've super training done, i hope all the dots join up and you have a great race! And g'luck trying to keep that other fella out of trouble :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck on Sunday, great training for this B so go get the rewards and enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Run well B, enjoy it, the boy's weekend and the IPA's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭healy1835

Best of luck B......good training behind you for this one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Have a great run on Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck on a Sunday B!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Hope you get to cash in all that great training! Enjoy the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Best of luck Sunday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck on Sunday... hope you run well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Good luck on Sunday! I've a feeling you're in for a great weekend, race-wise and the rest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Good luck on Sunday B. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good luck tomorrow B. Trust the training!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Best of luck tomorrow,B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

All the best tomorrow B, you have a great block of training done for it.

Advertisement