Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Good luck and ENJOY!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Thanks so much for the messages, PM’s and posts here lads. A/R really really is a great place to be a part of and I appreciate the sentiments so much.

Weather looking perfect for tomorrow so I can’t come on here and offer excuses after the race. Fingers crossed it goes well, talk to ye tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote:
    Weather looking perfect for tomorrow so I can’t come on here and offer excuses after the race. Fingers crossed it goes well, talk to ye tomorrow afternoon.

No pressure and run your own race. Use us as inspiration ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

All the best, B.

Anticipation is killing me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Anticipation is killing me

I'm tracking on the app.

0 - 5k: 19:46 (3:57)
    8.9k: 35:11 (3:57)
    10k: 39:31 (3:56)
    13.9k: 54:52 (3:56)

Expected finish: 1:23:12

15k: 59:12 (3:56)

Expected finish: 1:23:08

Legend B. Thanks. The app isn't playing ball for me

18.9k: 01:14:16 (3:51) !!!

Expected finish: 1:22:45 :cool:

Come on B!

1:22:38!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

OOnegative wrote: »
    I start a 12 week P&L plan tomorrow in the build up to the Amsterdam Half in October, hopefully i'll get some idea if i'm capable of a 1.22 Half in 12 weeks time or if i'm just kidding myself.
    Singer wrote: »

:cool:

Singer wrote:

Unreal. Cheers for the updates B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭healy1835

Super time B. Not surprised at all....Project 2021 is on course!

Cheers for the updates B, 1.22.38 as you said for a 3min 33sec PB. Thrilled is not the word, absolutely over the moon with that!! The old man and myself are on the way back to Den Haag to enjoy some well earned IPA’s and some nice grub. Many thanks once more for the support guys, yiz are all legends!!

Cheers for the updates B, 1.22.38 as you said for a 3min 33sec PB. Thrilled is not the word, absolutely over the moon with that!! The old man and myself are on the way back to Den Haag to enjoy some well earned IPA’s and some nice grub. Many thanks once more for the support guys, yiz are all legends!!

Pretty sure you’re the legend here today! Enjoy the IPAs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Super stuff :) absolutely well done! Enjoy those well deserved pints & make sure ye keep an eye on the old man :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

That is some run B,congrats.Enjoy the beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Outstanding, couldn't be happier for you.

Enjoy those pints. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Really terrific Barry, enjoy the reward!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Fantastic stuff. Well done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Magic! Well done and congrats!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

That's excellent. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hope you're still buzzing today! What an amazing run, those splits were so pretty too, bang on the money from the gun. Really well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Excellent running B. I hope the hangover isn't too bad this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Betcha he goes and includes some stuff about kids or tears or even dogs in his race report to try to get the Race Report of the Year Award

Betcha he goes and includes some stuff about kids or tears or even dogs in his race report to try to get the Race Report of the Year Award

No, there won’t be any dogs referenced but there will be a mention of both of us being asked to leave a public house late last night(again no joke!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Oh he has an absolute belter when it comes to kids and tears!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Old man - does it say that on his race shirt? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Old man - does it say that on his race shirt? :p

No I had that specially printed "I might be Old but I'm faster than TBO" ! It cost too much by the letter to give you your full title! ;-)

• Advertisement

TCS Amsterdam Half Marathon - 1.22.38(144th/14,752)

Build - up:

I followed a 12 week P&L plan in the build up to this as you all that read here know, i didn't follow it to the letter, adding in races where there wasn't one and not doing ones when they were. I hit all targets regarding LT sessions bar one when i was under the weather and one speed session where i still don't know what was wrong, but apart from that i was more than happy with the build up and felt in the form of my life running wise. The LT sessions gave me a good indication of what my HMP should be and a session of 8 miles@HMP a few weeks out from race day hammered that home.

I was up early the day before the race to collect Sean from the airport in Amsterdam, few hitches there but we eventually found each other:o and made our way to the Expo out at the Olympic Stadium. In and out with Dutch Precision and back on the train to Den Haag where i was asked to get off the train after having my OV Chip Card scanned by the conductor, turns out i had insufficient credit on it to make the journey. Detour at Leiden to get the card topped up and back on the train.

Showed Sean a bit of the area and we went for a few beverages prior to dinner, not something i've done before prior to a goal race, four drinks later home for dinner some tv and i was in bed by 11pm.

Race Day:

Up around 8.30am and got the kids fed before we headed off, a hearty breakfast of scrambled eggs and croissants courtesy of L before we hit the road at 10.30am. Got to Amsterdam in 45 minutes and found a parking space about 1km from the Olympic Stadium no problem. We walked and found a decent vantage point to watch some of the sub 3 marathoners finishing, some looked out on there legs a feeling i hoped i wouldn't experience later in the day. I got myself sorted, on with the Trim AC colours and pinned my only gel to the inside pocket of my shorts.

Jotted the kids names on my hand with a sharpie as i always do before a race and gave kisses and hugs before Sean and myself made our way to the white starting pen. I never warm up for a half but watched as loads expended energy in the pen running around in circles. We chatted away as the time ran down to start time before we wished each other well and i moved forward towards the head of the pen. Runners pushing there way forward when there was no room was more than evident. A runner introduced himself and asked me what i was targeting, and this was the first time i probably said it to someone but said 1.22 hopefully. He said he'd tag along if that was ok and i said of course.

Race:

Mr Mizuno(CEO of Mizuno), head of Mizuno fired the gun a minute before 1.20pm by my watch and we were off!! We made our way down along Stadionweg, scores of runners all with different goals, i got into my running easy enough but wanted to get away from the tram lines that took over the centre of he road, i moved out to the right and into the cycle lane which was soggy with wet leaves but figured it was better than slipping on a tram line. Passing runners mostly and looked around for first time and seen my new friend stuck to my left shoulder where he took up residence for next while, turned right for first time and mile one beeped at 6.20, right where i wanted to be.

We crossed over a few canal bridges here and made our way onto Churchill-Laan where the support was immense, people really getting behind the runners, another right onto Rijnstraat and mile two clocked in at 6.20, again spot on where i wanted it to be. We veered to the left here and a bit of a rise in the road up onto a flyover, you could see the faster guys to your right as the made there way under the bridge. Turned right and underneath the bridge, shaking the arms out as i went down hill. Feeling good but just wanted to relax the arms a bit. Veering around to the right i knew the 5k check was coming up, asked my friend how he was and he said he was fine.

Mile 3 beeped at 6.22, still fine and i was moving well. This was the most baron section of the race support wise as it was out in and industrial estate but there was a few Dj's banging out tunes to distract the mind, again a bit of a rise in the road and turning left onto another industrial estate style road, mile 4 beeping at 6.18. Passed a runner here who was about 6ft 8 or 9 and he was breathing was horrendous, he latched onto us,the road here just seemed to go on forever, under a Run2Day rubber gantry and i was towing 4-5 runners along here the annoying heavy breather still being one, i asked did anyone else want to front run but it either fell on deaf ears or the flat midland accent was misunderstood again, mile 5 coming in at 6.19.

The road dropped off for a bit next as we exited the industrial estate and the support picked up once more, coming on the tail enders of the marathon for the first time. The heavy breather dropped off around here and my buddy was still stuck to my left shoulder, mile 6 beeped at 6.16, probably a tad to fast at this stage but i was feeling incredibly strong. A few left right lefts around a few parks here and into the Watergraafsmeer area of Amsterdam. great support again where i noticed a man with a sign reading "Naked lady 100m" i asked him what she looked like and he began to laugh. Moving well still and mile 7 beeped at 6.17, again a bit fast but i felt so comfortable, took my gel along here.

The road narrowed to one lane here and the marathoners became more common, really had to keep your wits about you not to run into them, hopped up on a path at one stage to avoid a group of them walking together. I looked at the watch and the pace was in the 7mins, i felt i hadn't slowed but sped up a bit and lost my friend for a bit, up a gentle climb and mile 8 beeped at 6.21. Turning left here and back in towards the city, the support grew and we had a canal to our right random people shouting your name offering you encouragement, it was great, the Amsterdam people really embracing the event, i had said to myself before the race if you felt strong go at mile 10, i changed my mind here, i felt strong now i was going to wind it up. Asked my pal was he coming he said no he was struggling, i wished him well and went. Mile 9 beeped at 6.21.

Into the city and i was picking off runners every few metres, be they half or marathoners, i never thought i would have felt this good at this stage but i was determined to get every second out of myself, dropped down under a flyover and a rise on other side back up to the immense support, over another canal, mile 10 clocking at 6.16. We passed the Duracell support area shortly after and the cheering and music made what little hair on my head stand on end, i got the shivers the support was the good. I increased the pace as a result and it felt good so i stuck with it, take every second Barry, past the Rijksmusuem and into Vondelpark where the smell of someones marijauna cigarette was the first sensation to hit me:D:D:D.

The support here was incredible, 5-6 deep in spots roaring everyone on, we came on a DJ here playing The Prodigy's "Firestarter", being a massive fan of the band i thought of the singer Keith Flint who sadly passed away from suicide earlier this year, his aggressive tones gave me many good memories as a teenager here he was again helping me home on Half marathon goal, i became emotional but snapped out of it quickly, there's a job to be finished here, mile 11 beeped at 6.07.

Passing runners that i had seen ahead of me further back in the race, one latched onto me, his breathing laboured and short. I told him to tuck in and relax, his breathing calmed and he follwed me. Came on the 5hr marathon group, big group in tow and huge encouragement going on within the group. I had to dodge a few more marathoners further ahead before i reached the gates of Vondelpark and bade it farewell. Mile 12 clocked 6.07.

My new pal was still with me, i increased the pace slightly once more, pal fell off, i was picking runners off, some fading badly as we came towards the Olympic Stadium for the finish, i'm still feeling so strong, nothing is tightening or cramping on me for the first time of a race of this distance. I tell myself to keep going, i spy the 500m to go sign and see two greens singlets ahead, vow to catch them. The support outside the Stadium is deafening in spots, mile 13 beeps at 6.03, i pass the green singlets before i enter the Olympic Stadium, An Riocht from Kerry, i push but this is the first time in more than 13 miles the legs don't respond, come on just 100m to go. The An Riocht lads pass me again but i have nothing to respond i hammer as hard as i can 5.40 pace for the last 0.19 and across the line in 1.22.38.

I spy my family in the crowd, i give them the biggest smile i've given in manys a year, i'm honestly in shock as i hunch over looking at my watch. 1.22.38 holy fcuk, i dreamt it and said it at the start line but i never thought it was possible. But today it was, today i made a dream become a reality, i'm so incredibly proud of myself. Its over and i nailed it:D:D:D.

Advertisement