Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great report Barry, absolutely thrilled for you! I must say you were very calm beforehand for someone who was planning to take such a chunk off your PB. I have to second your comments on all the support and music on the course. It was a fantastic atmosphere.

Thinking back I think you made the mistake of not having another beer or two with me and some nice red wine.... A pre race tipple obviously is to your benefit. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Brilliant report B but even better race performance. Amazing consistency for the first 9 miles of it and that pick up in last 4 miles was epic.
    Reading that report is after giving me a real bolt of encouragement (I might pass on the pre race beers though :pac:).

Congrats on the PB, fully deserved after your block of training and you have every right to be extremely proud of yourself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Super report, and such a well run race! Amazing to read how strong you felt throughout, and you are so right to be proud of yourself :D Congrats on the PB, it's well deserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Absolutely cracking race Barry, brilliantly executed, huge congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Brilliant Barry. That’s a great read and love how strong you felt throughout. Hope you are still buzzing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Beers the night before?! No warmup? You could have run sub-1:20!!! :pac:

Just kidding. Great running and report, sounds like a great race setup. A lot more interesting than the numbers on the tracker app :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

The Aftermath:

Waited for Sean, who ran a superb race for a man who's been managing an injury the past 3-4 months. Back to Den Haag handy enough and quick showers before hitting the town, into O 'Casey's to watch the United game where there was great banter between the Dutch United and Liverpool fans. I bumped into a lad i worked with many moons ago on the building sites(more on him later). We left O 'Casey's and hit Brody's for some decent IPA's and reflection on the days racing.

Decided to go to my favourite bar Hoppzak where outside where we bumped into my old friend again and another lad he had in tow:rolleyes:. He followed us down to Hoppzak and started moaning at the barman because there was no Guinness on tap, he eventually settled for a whiskey. Quietly enjoying our beers my old mate lets drinks fall all over the floor, i go to get another round but am refused as pal had dropped his drinks. I say he came in with us but has nothing to do with us, i'm told no more drink and we are asked to leave. I don't argue anymore, pay and leave. We hit McD's and home.

As for our house guest for the weekend, our 4 year old daughter is normally very shy around new people, takes her some time to come out of it. Mr skyblue46 is the exception to that, she was all over him. She went out Monday afternoon and came home looking for him after, when she couldn't find him she started to ball crying. You have a friend there for life S, thank you so much for coming over and being so good to our children and playing with them both, your an absolute gentleman, they certainly won't be forgetting you that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

OOnegative wrote: »
    The Aftermath:

Waited for Sean, who ran a superb race for a man who's been managing an injury the past 3-4 months. Back to Den Haag handy enough and quick showers before hitting the town, into O 'Casey's to watch the United game where there was great banter between the Dutch United and Liverpool fans. I bumped into a lad i worked with many moons ago on the building sites(more on him later). We left O 'Casey's and hit Brody's for soome decent IPA's and reflection on the days racing.

Decided to go to my favourite bar Hoppzak where outside wherewe bumped into my old friend gain and another lad he had in tow:rolleyes:. He followed us down to Hoppzak and started moaning at the barman because there was no Guinness on tap, he eventually settled for a whiskey. Quietly enjoying our beers my old mate lets drinks fall all over the floor, i go to get another round but am refused as pal dropped his drinks. I say he came in with us but has nothing to do with us, i'm told no more drink and we are asked to leave. I don't argue anymore, pay and leave. We hit McD's and home.

As for our house guest for the weekend, our 4 year old daughter is normally very shy around new people, takes her some time to come out of it. Mr skyblue46 is the exception to that, she was all over him. She went out Monday afternoon and came home looking for him after, when she couldn't find him she started to ball crying. You have a friend there for life S, thank you so much for coming over and being so good to our children and playing with them both, your an absolute gentleman, they certainly won't be forgetting you that's for sure.

I don't know what you're talking about! Children? Why are you making up stories? Don't you know I have an image to live down to and it certainly involves neither being nice to children or playing with them!!!

Seriously though I had an absolutely fantastic time from beginning to end. Ye were fantastic hosts and little S and not so little O were a credit to you both. Tell them I said hello and hopefully I can swing things to make it over to the half in Den Haag in March :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

You certainly did your race justice with that report. It was fantastic. You should be so proud :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Fair play to you B, probably one of the most eagerly awaited race reports here in a long while, and it didn't disappoint! Great detail in there, and not just related to the race itself :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Man on a mission, done with sense and hard work. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Well done Barry, tremendous effort.

It's lovely to read a race report so full of positivity. You had a very good training block and for that to follow through to such a strong PB is very, very well deserved.

I hope you are still smiling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Brilliant race report, such a good read :)

Absolutely thrilled for you on your pb :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Wow. That's a cracking race report, and it's great to see how proud you are of the result. Really delighted that it all came together so well for you on the day - much deserved. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Jaysus, Barry, were you wearing the prototype Nikes? Brilliant racing - can't believe how many people you towed around with you too. Absolutely terrific, hearty congrats (again!)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 crockmac

Brilliant running, fair play.
    Cracking report too, sounds like a fun race :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done Barry, great running and an equally great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Sounds like the dream race and race report to match it. Well done B, you ran out of your skin there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super race B, you have me on the HM now - and I'd hazard a guess that theres another min (at least) or so in there nearly right away!!

- but you good and all as the report was (& it was very good), I feel a bit let down.
    It didn't reach Tang levels of epicness.

you dont get my nomination for RROTY.
    I've applied the missing piece, necessary for a RROTY.

:)

............. the missing piece..........

I'm pushing hard at this point, the fuel is gone, but the memory of those gone before me helps me dig in, if gives me a lift.
    The left leg starts to cramp, but I push it away, 'not today I say', I see the crowds of people, they must be 100 deep, but deep in the recesses of that crowd, I see my daughter, her eyes twinkling with pride at her daddy. 'Go on Daddy, you can run 1.22' she whispers, and under the sonic boom of the crowd, I hear it, clear as day.
    I run hard, the crowd lifts me again, I see my daughter again, this is getting like an Eminem song I think, I can see the finish line, its getting nearer and nearer.
    Then I see the family, 100m to go - tears streaming down my face, the last 3-4 months of hard work are worth it, I cross the line and into the arms of my wife, I fall to my knees and 3 dogs run up to me, licking the tears from my eyes. I've done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Congrats on the race, super running, the report was a great read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

That's some report and an even better result. Huge congratulations on the well-deserved PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That's how to run a race. Just brilliant. Great report B and just rewards for an excellent block.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hey B, I'm way behind here!

Congratulations on the race. I followed the same plan a few years ago and had similar result (PB and feeling strong in the last few miles and able to push on to the end) so the plan definitely works.

Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Just catching up here also...
    Fantastic running B, and pushing on the last few miles, epic...
    If anyone deserves a good result like that it's you. Well done......

PS, I was seriously hoping one of ye landed on yer arse in o Casey's... I feel let down.....

martyboy48 wrote: »
    PS, I was seriously hoping one of ye landed on yer arse in o Casey's... I feel let down.....

And out do you M, not a chance!!!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Hey B, I'm way behind here!

Congratulations on the race. I followed the same plan a few years ago and had similar result (PB and feeling strong in the last few miles and able to push on to the end) so the plan definitely works.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks A, plan works alright and was great to follow. Some like Hanson, some like Daniel’s but i’m definitely a P&D man. No complications for a dunce like me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Well I'm way behind the times here, only reading your report now but my god it's spine tingling stuff! The pick up at mile 9!! Super strong running B, absolutely delighted you got the result you deserved. Sounds like the weekend lived up to expectations too, the two of ye can drip feed us stories over the next while to ease the boards post-marathon blues ;)

eyrie wrote: »
    Well I'm way behind the times here, only reading your report now but my god it's spine tingling stuff! The pick up at mile 9!! Super strong running B, absolutely delighted you got the result you deserved. Sounds like the weekend lived up to expectations too, the two of ye can drip feed us stories over the next while to ease the boards post-marathon blues ;)

Thanks C, nothing out of the ordinary in fairness apart from your wan with the big hands S befriended....

21st-27th October 2019

I ran once and i drank to much, we spent a cracking two days away with our little ones in a water park. Fcuk the smile a PB pus on your face, when your 8 and 4 year old tell you that your the BEST......

Next:

I've long yearned to run a marathon, i know this log is all geared towards 2021 and what i possibly can do again over the half, but Seville next February is going to be the short term goal for me. I know i work best off having something to target, and another half block just didn't give me the "horn" a marathon block would.

I'm still in celebration mode half wise but the focus won't be long taking effect, the cold winter evenings are the time i do my best training i feel. P&D will be the man to follow once more, he didn't let me down in Amsterdam. Looking forward to the challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck with it, February won't be too long rolling around and should have you in great shape for later in 2020.

Thing to be careful of might be the training for P&D would be similar enough to what you've just done, then going into another Half cycle (presumably) its a lot of the same sort of stimulus over a long period, but maybe you are planning a different plan for the next half cycle.

Advertisement