Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Week 28th Oct-2nd Nov 2019:

Monday 28th - 6.25 Easy@8.23min/mies in 52mins 36secs
    Wednesday 30th - 5.70 Easy@8.26min/miles in 48mins 02secs
    Thursday 31st - 8.05 Easy@8.22min/miles in 67mins 21secs
    Friday 1st - 5.75 Easy@8.28min/miles in 48mins 47secs
    Sunday 3rd - 13.20 Steady@7.55min/miles in 1hr 44mins 27secs

38.95 miles for the week.

Nothing exciting to report last week so not going to go into each individual run as i normally would, it was easy stuff up until Sunday around the local neighbourhoods. I was sure to pay attention to the legs to see if there was any unwanted niggles lurking post Amsterdam, all good thankfully.

Sunday i felt good so while himself was attending soccer school i did something a little more taxing you could say, felt great and would have went longer only i had to run home with himself when he was done, beautiful late Autumn morning for a run.

That's me up to date, a session on the cards this week and increase in the mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Congrats on the result just catching up on the log

Monday 4.11.19

Rest Day.

Tuesday 5.11.19

7.15 miles Easy@8.23min/miles in 59mins 58secs

First run this Autumn under the street lights of Den Haag, scared the bejaysis out of another runner in Westbroekpark as i passed him, never heard or seen me with no street lights there.

Wednesday 6.11.19

8.50 miles Easy@8.24min/miles in 1hr 11mins 25secs

Another run under the evening sky, this time heading up Laan Van Meerdervoort to Kijkduin and turning back and retracing my steps. chilly out.

Thursday 7.11.19

w/u, 12x400m@5k(200m rec), c/d.

Out straight after work to do this, up to my usual spot along the cycle path and straight into the session after a 2 mile warm up. Felt super on the 400's and kept the recoveries nice and handy as my quad was twingey since previous evenings run. Splits were:

1.25, 1.25, 1.25, 1.26, 1.26, 1.26, 1.25, 1.25, 1.26, 1.26, 1.25, 1.25.

Happy with the consistency on those, 8.90 miles for the session.

Friday 8.11.19

9.30 miles Steady@7.48min/miles in 1hr 12mins 31secs

A cold, dry, sunny afternoon in Den Haag, my kind of running weather. Out to Kijkduin once more along Laan Van Meerdervoort and home then through the running paths in the dunes of Westduinpark. Lovely run.

Saturday 9.11.19

7 miles Easy@8.22min/miles in 58mins 36secs

More easy miles after work following same route more or less as Tuesday evening but taking in a few city miles on this one, a glorious chilly Saturday afternoon for a run.

Sunday 10.11.19

Klaverbladloop 5k - 17.57(5th/274)

Had my eye on this to bring the curtain down on my years racing and a last attempt at going sub 18 before 2019 came to a close. Tram out to Zoetermeer and the first morning the ground had a coating of frost. Done a longer than normal warm up taking in the first and last km of the route as i finished. A bit of a drag but also a fast downhill finish.

Lined up and like home, runners in the wrong place but i've long since gotten over that and concentrated on my own race. Race kicked off bang on 11.50am and a quick half lap of the track before getting out onto the paths, usual runners going out to hard in first 400-500m then dying a death:rolleyes:. Settled into my pace handy enough and up the aforementioned drag we went, few runners around but the field had well thinned out at this stage. The Dutch are serious for cutting corners during races and taking the shortest way possible, i stuck to the bike paths where the race was supposed to bevran. Down the other side of the drag a quick left then right and a long straight along a canal and mile 1 beeped at 5.44.

Bang on target and feeling good, canal went on for a bit and i was now in a small group of 4-5 runners, pace being pushed by one lad but i was happy too hold back and run my own race. Right over a bridge then immediately right again along the other side of the canal. Group broke up here with few pushing on but i remained with two other lads and we ran more or less side by side for a while, mile 2 beeped at 5.42 and i was still feeling good. Over another bridge where one of the lads fell off the pace here, and we again approached the drag. I pushed the pace here and lost the other lad, great support at the top from locals. Downhill again and i tried to step on the gas but it just wasn't there but i was holding steady and not slowing just no extra gear when i wanted.

The runner ahead was just to far in front for me to catch so concentrated on the sub 18, i knew it was going to be close. Mile 3 beeped just as i stepped foot on the track again in 5.42. Again i tried to kick but it wasn't much but a bit faster, eyes on the clock 17.xx still showing i pushed once more and crossed the line in 17.58 on the watch later confirmed as 17.57 by the timing company. Over the moon and one last PB to round out my 2019 racing season. 6.35 miles for the day.

47.20 miles for the week which was a decent one, good session and a decent race. More miles is the only change for next week as the start to marathon training approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Brilliant running B, You're on a roll right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

You're making it look too easy lately! Fantastic stuff, congratulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done again B. You are flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Absolutely brilliant!! Well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Very satisfying to read that for some reason. So well executed. Consistent splits. Super stuff B. Taking some decent fitness into the marathon block. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice work Barry - there's something about keeping the week consistent and then racing untapered - you had a good session on the Thursday and kept the mileage high between then and the race.

Supper splits and no fade - you are in great shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I really enjoyed reading that report. Super performance, and tops off a great year! Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Great running & two great results there Barry - congrats !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant run and a well deserved result there B. What a way to finish out your racing for the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done B. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll continue to go from strength to strength. A great read.

Good luck with the marathon training cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Great stuff B, you are flying these days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Great to see the consistency paying off pal. You were due a good run at it, and now you're making hay. Exciting times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Catching up
    <83 HM!
    <18 5k!

Damn good running B. Damn good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Great stuff,B.

First and foremost a big thanks to all for the kind comments after the 5k PB here and on other platforms.

Last two weeks running has taken a back seat, 37 miles last week & 35 this. We had in-laws with us last week so I let the missus dictate what happened so she could spend time with her two sisters which all things considered was no issue with me when I think of all the time she sacrifices for me to get out for a run. This week i’m a single Dad since Friday as L returned home for a class reunion. My runs have been all easy stuff save for a MP type session this week in the freezing cold which went well.

Back to it full time from tomorrow again, the Seville plan starts the week after and the quest for sub 3 begins, off my recent Half PB it should be achievable but then again the marathon is a completely different beast, i’ll enjoy the training as always and keep the nose to the grind stone till February 23rd 2020!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I know a man who nipped under the 3hours off a 1:22:3x Half ;) keep the consistency going B and the rest will take care of itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sub 83 half .... no 'should be achievable' about it! Foundation is there. Consistent marathon plan on top and you are ready to go. Just about getting to the start line healthy!

25th Nov-8th Dec '19

Absolutely horrendous two weeks on the running front, the 25th and 26th i was laid up with a vomiting bug i had caught off the young lad. I went for a run that Wednesday and managed to pull/twinge something in my back by breathing in:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:!! Was in bits for rest of that week, tail end of the week a cold came along. I felt it wasn't bad and ran last Tuesday and Wednesday, big mistake and made the cold worse:mad:. Cue 2/3 days of only getting out of bed to work and returning more or less when i finished.

Last week was to be the first week of Seville Marathon training which didn't go to plan, will regroup and start gain today. 11 weeks and there can be no more fcuk ups!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Hopefully thats the end of the ill health and misfortune. 11 good weeks and you'll smash it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Won't be a bother to ye ;)

Monday 8.12.19

8.50 miles GA@8.24min/miles in 1hr 11min 27secs

Blustery morning in Den Haag, out via Laan Van Meerdervoort to Kijkduin and home via the running paths through the dunes, white horses rolling in off the North Sea.

Wednesday 11.12.19

5.20 miles GA@8.25min/miles in 43min 48secs

Lap around Van Stolkpark, Westbroekpark Scheveningse Bosjes and home, the day the dream died!!!

Thursday 12.12.19

5.70 miles Steady@7.28min/miles in 42mins 35secs

Up towards the harbour then cutting into Westduinpark for a bit trough the paths and trails, home via Segbroeklaan, a run to blow off some steam:mad::mad:.

And that was that for the week, 19.40 miles, nothing but pure laziness to blame for it plus the fact that Seville is off the cards due to not being able to get the time off from work, to say i'm pi$$ed off about it is an understatement but strong believer in everything happens for a reason. I will now have to pick another race to target as i'm the kind of runner who needs a goal to work towards or i get lazy as this week has shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Ah no!!!! Lousy, sorry to hear that. Any other options on the cards at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah Jaysus. Sure you couldn't just pull a sickie?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Such a pity that the Seville plan won't work out. Massively frustrating and disappointing I'm sure. At least you found out before you were well into the middle of the plan, and as you say, these things happen for a reason.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus. Sure you couldn't just pull a sickie?

Not in my nature D, plus a days sick leave here requires a cert & they are like hens teeth from doctors!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ah no. That’s really frustrating. I’m the same needing a goal, especially at this time of the year when it’s so cold, dark and wet. Hope you find another race soon.

Advertisement