Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done Barry, what a fantastic year you've had, but you earned it with hard grafting and great training. May it continue into 2020 and beyond.

Happiest of Christmas to you, L and your 2 beautiful Children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Younganne wrote: »
    Well done Barry, what a fantastic year you've had, but you earned it with hard grafting and great training. May it continue into 2020 and beyond.

Happiest of Christmas to you, L and your 2 beautiful Children.

Cheers Anne, Happy Christmas to D and yourself and the three teens. Hope Santa is good to ye!!

What a great year. Happy Christmas and all the best for 2020 Barry

Thanks S, Happy Christmas to you to. Hope 2020 is kind to you to.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    What a superb year you've had with running, and really well deserved! This is a great log to follow, and you give so much support to everyone on here. Hope you have a lovely Christmas and New Year's.

Thanks so much for the kind words, hope you have great Christmas and New Year also. Bestest of luck with your running goals in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats on a brilliant year B.

I hadn't realised you won that Ros Run 10K, that course is just up the road from me. Much kudos on winning it as I know from training runs up there that some of the surfaces and inclines are bloody tough.

A Great log to read and I look forward to following it throughout 2020!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

A super read and what a year you've had!

Congrats on a brilliant year B.

I hadn't realised you won that Ros Run 10K, that course is just up the road from me. Much kudos on winning it as I know from training runs up there that some of the surfaces and inclines are bloody tough.

A Great log to read and I look forward to following it throughout 2020!

Thanks J, a bitch of a route for the Sliabh Bawn 10k alright but hugely enjoyable. Lucky man to be training up there!! Happy Christmas to you man.

Singer wrote: »
    A super read and what a year you've had!

Thanks B, hope you and the family have a great Christmas and New Year. Really hope the injury woes are behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

B, I've enjoyed reading the entries in your log immensely over the last year, some incredible performances along the way, not least your brilliant showing in Amsterdam.
    Best of luck for the months ahead and I look forward to reading more milestones on these here pages!!!
    Have a great Chrimmah!

Week 1/12 Zandvoort Circuit Run Training!!

Tuesday 7.1.20

8.45 miles GA@8.20min/miles in70mins 26secs.

Up towards the harbour and out through the running paths in the dunes to Kijkduin and back home through Bosjes Van Poot, handy run to start the plan!!

Wednesday 8.1.20

7.35 miles GA + 6x12sec Hills & 8x100m strides@8.11min/miles in 60mins 12secs.

On what will become the norm from now on, out before work to do this, strides were bit of a shock to the system:eek::eek::eek:.

Thursday 9.1.20

9.35 miles Endurance@7.36min/miles in 1hr 11mins 03secs.

Pig of a day with strong winds and misty, pi$$y rain all day. Choose to run up towards Pompstationweg to try avoid worst of wind, worked for most part but was knocked to a standstill on occasion. Enjoyable run none the less.

Friday 10.1.20

5.15 miles Recovery@8.46min/miles in 45mins 12secs.

Pre work run again, wind still very evident on this but at recovery pace it wasn't really an issue.

Saturday 11.1.20

Rest Day.

Sunday 12.1.120

10.20 miles Endurance@7.28min/miles in 1hr 16mins 08secs.

As i stated on Strava, the only thing accurate about this was the distance covered. Garmin was giving ridiculous pace readings at times, i stopped purposely to walk and the watch had me speeding up every step:mad:. Wind was crazy again, with the terrain being so flat you feel it everywhere, not much in the way of shelter.

Monday 13.1.20

w/u, 10min, 8min, 8min@LT(3min recs), c/d.

My day off work but chose to get out and do this as early as i could, usual route for this as last summer for Amsterdam Half, up to the cycling paths and out towards Kijkduin. What wind was about was into my face on the 10min section, it was a bitch when it gusted but i found it manageable for the most part. Turned around at 16mins in and it was much easier, breeze pushing me on, reigning in the pace at times. For first bit of faster running in months, this went very well.

49.45 miles for the week which hopefully will be the norm distance wise at least for the remainder of 2020. Like others, i let the year peter out in December, mileage of 35 and 40 miles over the Christmas weeks is nothing to write home about but two Santa crazed children took precedence and i spent some quality time with the family.

I was asked numerous times over the festive period be it via PM or on other messaging platforms how i dedicate so much time to Boards. Those that know me well know i suffer badly at times with mental health issues and depression, Boards is my crutch, i come here to get away from it.

I was basically ostracized within the job i did for being the way i am, so called friends stopped speaking to me, ignored me when passing in the corridor or turned the other way when they seen me approaching. I found support from people here, people i've never met and some i have. I was listened to and understood and reading about other peoples exploits helped calm my mind and lift my mood.

Be it reading WW's epic XC tales or Krusty's super human marathon exploits, these reports help my mind relax. Some may feel nobody reads there logs cause there is no interaction on it, you don't know about those people in the background who are reading and take great solace from the words you type. Huge thank you for the votes of confidence in the Poster of the Year and Race Report Awards, to be acknowledged by people around here means a hell of a lot to me so thank you:o:o:o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That post warmed my heart. Good man B.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Going for 'post of the year' already!!

Seriously - you're more than a good man, you're a great man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I only spoke to S about this the other day! I have no running people (if that's a term) in my life as such so when i talk about running i can quickly see that glazed look... but here anything really can be discussed & someone is usually there to help with questions etc :)

Always just be who you are, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Going for 'post of the year' already!!

It'll be forgotten by December, don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Nicely written B. You're right, this here place is something quite special alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Nice one B. We'll always have that day in Mullingar....even if I did ignore you in Clondalkin this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

It'll be forgotten by December, don't worry.

February! Short memories around here!

Tuesday 14.1.20

8.25 miles GA@8.25min/miles in 68mins 49secs.

Up towards the Pompstation in the gale force wind turned around and back home. The wind was stop you in your tracks strong at times, made a complete mess of my hair!!.

Wednesday 15.1.20

w/u, 2x(5x200m@1mile pace)(200m recs)4mins between sets, c/d.

Up to the cycle paths once more for this in a cold,crisp morning in Den Haag. Goal for the 200's was between 37-40secs at mile pace, settled into them fairly quickly hitting the pace required, splits were:

37.4, 38.6, 37.2, 37.3, 37.2, 37.8, 37.9, 38.5, 37.4, 38.3.

The chill wind made this a little tougher than i expected it to be but very happy with the consistency of the splits. 6.90 miles for the session.

Thursday 16.1.20

Enforced Rest, i done something to my back the previous day after my run and again at work. This time between the shoulders and under the neck. Made cycling with the post on the cobbled streets excruciating!!!

Friday 17.1.20

Enforced Rest, same as Thursday.

Saturday 18.1.20

Enforced Rest, same as Thursday!!

Sunday 19.1.20

Enforced Rest, ye get the picture at this stage.

Monday 20.1.20

7.40 miles GA@8.18min/miles in 61mins 26secs

Tentative run up towards the Kurhaus and into Oostduinpark and back home through Haagse Bosjes. Few darts of pain between the shoulders and limited motion when turning, literally had to stop and turn 360 degrees when looking behind crossing roads:o:o:o.

22.55 miles for the week, a paltry total but taken out of my hands with what happened to the back. As some may have noticed, i didn't lead with week 2 of Zandvoort Circuit Run training as thats been taken off the table also with L's work. I will continue to follow the P&L plan but will follow something AMK said and race more frequently and hopefully peak during one of them and nail a decent 10k PB.

quick 200s - hope you bounce back soon.. pun intended :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Definitely the right idea B. Train away and give yourself a few opportunities to nail a PB. I did a 10k block for Enniscorthy 10k last year that also inc Raheny 5 Mile a couple of weeks prior to the 10k. Ended up not running Enniscorthy but nailing a 10k PB in the middle of HM training 6 weeks later....if you can keep the training nice and consistent the PBs will follow.

• Advertisement

Monday 20.1.20

7.40 miles GA@8.18min/miles in 61mins 26secs

First run since previous Thursday, back issues at me again. This time between the shoulders and just blow neck, pain that had me in agony for nigh on 3 days. Very tentative on this and movement was very restricted but got through it.

Tuesday 21.1.20

8.45 miles GA@8.21min/miles in 70mins 37secs

Out before work and back much improved after previous days run, brass monkeys running between the dunes out by the North Sea, movement much better on this.

Wednesday 22.1.20

w/u, 10xOckenburgh stairs, c/d

Jumped out after the Chief's swimming to do this, my warm up brought me to the stairs of my choosing in Ockenburgh. They are the first set you run racing the Puinduinen Run and the steepest of the lot. Back was good to go on this and off i went, each rep is approx 80m up and 97 steps in total. My legs were fried by no 10 but happy to get it done. Slow shuffle home and 8.50 miles for the day.

Thursday 23.1.20

9.45 miles GA +8X100m strides & 6x12sec Hills@8.11min/miles in 1hr 17mins 22secs

Legs worse for wear after previous days session, slowly loosened out as the run went on.

Friday 24.1.20

Rest Day.

Saturday 25.1.20

9.15 miles Endurance@7.34min/miles in 69mins 20secs

Another wicked cold day, up towards the Haven then out to Kijkduin through the cycling paths before looping around and running home through suburbia. Felt great on this and really strong.

Sunday 26.1.20

Rest Day.

42.95 miles for the week off 5 days running and the back held up. Feel in good nick but don't know exactly how good until i race, certainly better than this time 12 months ago. Great to see so many PB's at the weekend in Raheny and another Boardsie earn an Irish vest, great place this, a sentiment echoed on many logs this weekend.

Nice of someone to check on the Poster of the Year 2019!!!

Bless me A/R Logs for I have sinned, between a bad back, illness and damn right laziness on my behalf, there has been very little running taking place to log about.

I went out here and there hoping I would find my mojo on the run, but he is a crafty individual and my searching proved in vain. Easy plod here, easy one there then take 2/3 days off and do diddly squat. I’ve gone through this before but this time it kind of scared me as my mojo was always easily found and the enthusiasm returned instantly with some vigor.

But when the back was ok and the illness gone, the excuses to not run were pathetic!! It’s to windy, I’ll get wet in that rain, the tip of my baby finger is sore from catching it in a letter box!! Kid you not, last one was a genuine excuse not to go for a run.

I kept searching but nothing, then this week I remembered a piece of advice shotgunmcos gave to ariana. “Run one of your usual routes in reverse” so off I set with that simple idea in my head. I noticed stuff on that run I never have running the other way, Storm Ciara was in full effect but the wind & rain may well have been not existent to me!! I was reborn, every step was bliss and I remembered why I love this pastime so much!!

Have ran every day this week since except today as the little Princess was brought out for her birthday this coming Tuesday. Tomorrow can’t come quick enough till I step out the door and give Storm Denis the two fingers, the mojo is back!!

I am sans Garmin at the minute as I eventually sent it back to be sorted/replaced before it wound up in the bottom of a canal!! I won’t bring my phone on a run as it’s a pain so it’ll be an hour’s run or so each day till the Garmin returns. Fed up of being a slave to the watch anyway. We’re off to Prague this day week so I’ll update in a few weeks again on all things running Czech style.

Hmm mojo woes. You and Swashbuckler. I had a few days of it this week too. Must be all this effing wind! Other life stuff sucking the energy. We are people. We have lives. Life ebbs and flows. Glad you found a way out of the cloud. Sometimes it's as simple as a different perspective. Glad the back is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hope all is well B, mind yourself.
    Glad you found the mojo - its a curse when its dormant for a while.

- enjoy Prague - its a beautiful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Keep on trucking B and you'll come out of the clouds into the sunshine.
    Enjoy Prague.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Enjoy Praha. Pivo time!

Monday 24.2.20

7 miles(ish) - 60mins

Up and out the door before 9am for my first run in Praha, i had researched a few routes before traveling and decided i'd use the paths and trails along the River Vltava. First mile or so was on cobbled paths along the river before i met a walking/cycle path where the surface became kinder to the legs. Continued on for another bit before reaching a gravel path where i continued for another 1.5 miles or so before turning for home. Bitterly cold along the river and amazed at the big amount of homeless people i seen.

Tuesday 25.2.20

7 miles(ish) - 60mins

Bit later out the gap this morning and headed for Park Letna on this occasion, after negotiating the 200 or so steps up to the park i had to slow to a mere shuffle to regain my breath:eek:. I took in the Stalin Monument which is big and imposing but sadly destroyed with graffiti. Also caught the home of Sparta Prague and what is said to be the oldest carousel in Europe dating back to 1864. Back down the steps, and a lad i had met on my way up was still there doing circuits of the steps some 40 minutes after i seen him(show off!!).

Thursday 27.2.20

8 miles(ish) - 70mins

Again headed to Park Letna and the steps were no easier with a beer swelled head!! Laps of the park in feeezing conditions, here i was in a short sleeved tshirt and shorts while every other runner i met was covered head to toe with only there face on view, mainland Europeans are soft!!

Saturday 29.2.20

8.75 miles GA@8.22min/mile in 1hr 13mins 13secs

Back to Den Haag for this and a new watch, Garmin replaced my other 735xt for a new one after the issues i had with it. Up Pompstationweg and on towards Meijendal for a few miles and back home the same way. Gale blowing on the way back and had the face near torn off me with a shower of hail stones but great to be out.

30 miles roughly for the week off 4 runs which i knew was the max i would manage with traveling and other stuff. Praha was a lovely city and one i would gladly return to, plenty to see and some fantastic bars and restaurants to choose from. The sheer detail on some of the buildings is unbelievable, a visit to the National Technical Museum was the highlight, with there take on Trains, Planes and Automobiles. Some fantastic Czech cars dating back to WW1 and WW2 on show as well as an immaculately preserved Spitfire.

A wise man once kept saying to me "If its worth doing, do it right"..........

Monday 2.3.20

8.10 miles Easy@8.41min/miles in 70mins 19secs

Cold and wet yet first time there was no wind in years in Den Haag!! Headed to the Clingendal to run this, the trails were slippy underfoot and knocked the pace right back. Enjoyable run.

Tuesday 3.3.20

9.10 miles Endurance@7.45min/miles in 70mins 28secs

A straight out and back to Kijkduin, the HR on the watch was giving crazy readings once more even though its a new watch. As comfortable a run i've had in months despite what the watch was telling me:rolleyes:.

Wednesday 4.3.20

7.50 miles GA + 6x12sec Hills & 8x100m strides in 61mins 54secs

Quick loop around the neighbourhood, strides felt good and a while since i done them. Must be more diligent in including them in runs every few days or so.

Thursday 5.3.20

w/u, 10xOckenburgh Stairs, c/d.

Another misty wet day in Den Haag, longer than normal warm up then into 92 steps of pain x 10. Legs were screaming at me after 2, lungs were screaming after two more!! I got through the full set some how, few wobbles over the steps in the last few but delighted to get them done. Slow shuffle back home like a drowned rat, 10.50 miles for the day.

Friday 6.3.20

Rest Day.

Saturday 7.3.20

w/u, 10,8,8@LT(3mins rec), c/d.

Quick monring at work then home and out the door to do this, choose the route i used to these kind of sessions for Amsterdam. Calmish day by Den Haag standards, two mile warm up then into the LT stuff. I was figuring i'd manage the first one but struggle from there on in. Delighted i had to pull myself at times rather than dying on my feet like i thought, there is some semblance of fitness in the legs!! Rough splits:

10mins - 6.20min/miles.
    8mins - 6.15min/miles.
    8mins - 6.13min/miles.

A session that could not have gone better, 8.90 miles for the day.

Sunday 8.3.20

4.90 miles Easy@8.27min/miles in 41mins 27secs

Out late afternoon to do this as i've recently started helping out with some GAA coaching for the Irish children in Den Haag, plus the young lad has taken to it big time, make a proper footballer out of him yet!! The CPC was still in full flow as i ran, runners streaming up Nieuwe Parklaan heading back towards town for the finish. Next year maybe again.

49 miles even for the week, back to where i want and this will become the norm from here on in. Happy there is some kind of fitness left in the body and something to build upon. I know for a fact i wouldn't have managed Saturday's LT paces this time 12 months ago. Well done to all those racing last weekend, some super performances being reported on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

What's your next target race B?

Well done on the steps reps, that sounds like a special kind of hell!

• Advertisement

What's your next target race B?

Well done on the steps reps, that sounds like a special kind of hell!

I honestly don’t have one J, the Amsterdam Half is again the yearly target but I’m working towards nothing at present. Plan on a few races over next month but none are a target, a formula I probably will keep going till Amsterdam training begins. No pressure racing but keeping the training and miles up!!

Advertisement