Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help : Rent Supplement to HAP

Options
  • 28-07-2019 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi - I have a few questions about HAP if anyone can help. I've read all the literature online but am still a bit confused.

I've been on JSA for about a year now and get rent supplement. I live alone and don't work at all but am hoping to go back p/t as my GP doesn't advise f/t at the moment.

I spoke to my landlord and he said he's not familiar with HAP and thinks it's only for people on the housing list (which I am because that's what they do when you apply for rent supplement and he filled out all the forms when I applied). He also reminded me that he hasn't raised my rent in the last few years - I think he's hinting that I better not bring him a HAP application as this includes a standards test, tax info etc. We have a good relationship so I don't want things to get awkward.

So my questions are :

1) Everyone who is on rent supplement will be moved to HAP gradually so is it best for me to wait until then as to not upset my LL? The rent I pay now is doable but I sense an increase coming...

2) I read you have to find your own house for HAP but then is it just possible to stay where I am if my LL accepts HAP anyway? (I know he ''has to'' but then I don't see what I have to move if my financial worry in this house is solved)

3) I'm actually find to stay on rent allowance but am worried by how much it will drop if I start work. I know I can keep a portion of it if I work but not sure how much that would be. Also my health issues are what's keeping me from working as normal and I'm concerned if I do work then can't anymore, my rent supplement will take forever to be adjusted as it took awhile to get going at first. With HAP working isn't really an issue.

I've worked f/t for the last 20 years so this is all new to me. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

He's threatening to raise your rent if you go for HAP, wow can't believe an Irish landlord would dream of doing that!

LL's hate HAP due to the standards and tax stuff as you said. It messes up their tax dodging and stops them being able to rent out substandard properties to desperate people who have little options.

Based on his mentioning of rent increases, if you bring him up HAP again, be prepared for him to suddenly need the dwelling for a family member or to decide to sell or use some loophole to get you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Horatio26.

He's threatening to raise your rent if you go for HAP, wow can't believe an Irish landlord would dream of doing that!

LL's hate HAP due to the standards and tax stuff as you said. It messes up their tax dodging and stops them being able to rent out substandard properties to desperate people who have little options.

Based on his mentioning of rent increases, if you bring him up HAP again, be prepared for him to suddenly need the dwelling for a family member or to decide to sell or use some loophole to get you out.

Oh god, I hope you're wrong! I've been living here for 6 years and in fairness, when the council came around a few years back to inspect bedsits etc my LL was great about all the repairs, etc. Anytime I need something he provides - new furniture, repairs etc.

I hope he wouldn't do that to me but now I'm terrified. Best just shut up and let HAP come to me naturally I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Flashdan

We are on HAP and got kicked out as "my son is moving in" even the people at the housing office said that's what LL's do all the time. We managed to get a place in the same building (same management company) and the previous LL now has it on Air BnB.

They will move you on if they think they can get more for the place. So i would just not mention it until you have to deal with it.

Our current LL gets HAP and we have to pay a top up to keep the place, which goes up every 2 years.

Flashdan wrote: »
    We are on HAP and got kicked out as "my son is moving in" even the people at the housing office said that's what LL's do all the time. We managed to get a place in the same building (same management company) and the previous LL now has it on Air BnB.

They will move you on if they think they can get more for the place. So i would just not mention it until you have to deal with it.

Our current LL gets HAP and we have to pay a top up to keep the place, which goes up every 2 years.

yikes! that is so scary. I'll just shut up as I sure wouldn't wanna be looking for new place while jobless. Isn't there a housing crisis ?! How is anyone even finding places to live.

My LL could def get more for my place than what I pay but hopefully isn't sneaky like that. He's been good to me for years.

Would you not report your ex LL about the airbnb thing ie lying?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Flashdan

"Would you not report your ex LL about the airbnb thing ie lying?"

Yeah I would do but he waited 3 months before putting it on Air BnB to make it look real.

If you have a good LL then that's great but If you do have a problem Focus Ireland were a great help with getting a new place.

We never wanted to be in this situation much like yourself but Illness made it that way. It can be hard being at the mercy of the system but i'm sure it will all work out :D

• Advertisement

Flashdan wrote: »
    "Would you not report your ex LL about the airbnb thing ie lying?"

Yeah I would do but he waited 3 months before putting it on Air BnB to make it look real.

If you have a good LL then that's great but If you do have a problem Focus Ireland were a great help with getting a new place.

We never wanted to be in this situation much like yourself but Illness made it that way. It can be hard being at the mercy of the system but i'm sure it will all work out :D

aw thanks - glad you're sorted!

Advertisement