Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home air quality monitoring

• 29-07-2019 1:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭

I stumbled across this article yesterday:
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/monitor-air-quality-with-a-raspberry-pi/

It talks about using a raspberry pi with an air monitor to analyse air quality in the home.
    The main benefit here is that I could potentially move it from room to room and plug it in anywhere.

However, the one thing it's missing, from what I can tell, is integration with Alexa or Google Home. I'd love it to send a voice message or reminder when levels get a bit high. Or respond to voice commands asking for levels etc.

Does anyone know if it's difficult to add this integration myself?
    Or alternatively, does anyone know of another piece of hardware to achieve this? I like the idea of a raspberry pi but will consider others.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I stumbled across this article yesterday:
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/monitor-air-quality-with-a-raspberry-pi/

It talks about using a raspberry pi with an air monitor to analyse air quality in the home.
    The main benefit here is that I could potentially move it from room to room and plug it in anywhere.

However, the one thing it's missing, from what I can tell, is integration with Alexa or Google Home. I'd love it to send a voice message or reminder when levels get a bit high. Or respond to voice commands asking for levels etc.

Does anyone know if it's difficult to add this integration myself?
    Or alternatively, does anyone know of another piece of hardware to achieve this? I like the idea of a raspberry pi but will consider others.

Thanks.

You could use the likes of the BME680 sensor on a rpi running hass.io, it is one of integrations available.

From this you could also run node-red on hass.io and use the cast node to send messages to a google home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

THE ALM wrote: »
    You could use the likes of the BME680 sensor on a rpi running hass.io, it is one of integrations available.

From this you could also run node-red on hass.io and use the cast node to send messages to a google home.

Thanks.

So the SDS011, I gather, is a more basic sensor than the BME680? I believe it's also solder less, unlike the BME680. Is that correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Thanks.

So the SDS011, I gather, is a more basic sensor than the BME680? I believe it's also solder less, unlike the BME680. Is that correct?

Haven't used either but it looks that way, will have to solder some header pins to the BME680, here is a write-up using it with Raspbian.

Advertisement