Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoneDeal phone sale turns into violent robbery

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Wompa1 wrote: »
    So they should write the article in a way that curtails people's deep seeded racism?

You’re conflating nationality and race.

You’re inferring a negative by accurately describing someone’s nationality, what is wrong with saying a German National is a German National? Or that a Kenyan is a Kenyan? Or a Russian is a Russian?

It’s counter-factual on your part to suggest we shouldn’t mention nationality in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

minikin wrote: »
    You’re conflating nationality and race.

No, I'm not. I believe him to be Irish. Thus this talk of deportation to me is racist or even assuming him not to be Irish based on his name particularly considering he's only 22 is racist.

No, I'm not. I believe him to be Irish. Thus this talk of deportation to me is racist or even assuming him not to be Irish based on his name particularly considering he's only 22 is racist.

I have done none of the above.

Do you remember many stories of crime in Ireland that labelled the culprit as Irish?

You’ve never read an article about Irish crime lords????

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Is there a dole/traveller angle at all?

• Advertisement

You’ve never read an article about Irish crime lords????

I read books about John Gilligan. His nationality was relevant in some cases as he was also running overseas operations.

I read books about John Gilligan. His nationality was relevant in some cases as he was also running overseas operations.

Did you get upset when they described him as Irish?
    I’m guessing no, so why get upset when someone else’s nationality is accurately described? Do you only get upset on behalf of those you see as inferior - maybe they can’t stand up for and represent themselves and need a first world voice to speak for them???? European Saviourism at it’s most ironic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Did you get upset when they talked about him without specifying his nationality?

xckjoo wrote: »
    Did you get upset when they talked about him without specifying his nationality?

I’m not upset one way or the other, thanks.

I’m not upset one way or the other, thanks.
    Then why do you keep coming back here complaining that they didn't specify the guys nationality in the article? Read most newspaper articles about a crime and it doesn't mention nationality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Jesus... Would it make any difference if he was a white doctor. the nationality colour or job makes no difference to his actions

Then why do you keep coming back here complaining that they didn't specify the guys nationality in the article? Read most newspaper articles about a crime and it doesn't mention nationality.

Why do I keep coming back???
    It’s called a discussion!

Why do I keep coming back???
    It’s called a discussion!
    A discussion about a robbery that you keep trying to shoe horn nationality into for some reason....

A discussion about a robbery that you keep trying to shoe horn nationality into for some reason....

Can you supply a list of aspects of the subject that are acceptable to you... your honour.

I’m guessing no, so why get upset when someone else’s nationality is accurately described? Do you only get upset on behalf of those you see as inferior - maybe they can’t stand up for and represent themselves and need a first world voice to speak for them???? European Saviourism at it’s most ironic!

In the books? They didn't. They were by Irish authors targeted to an Irish audience so it would have been redundant.

Can you supply a list of aspects of the subject that are acceptable to you... your honour.
    Nope. But I can call you on your bullsh1t attempts to shoehorn nationality into a discussion about a crime where it doesn't seem to be a factor.

Nope. But I can call you on your bullsh1t attempts to shoehorn nationality into a discussion about a crime where it doesn't seem to be a factor.

You’re my hero!!!

Tell me this, if the perpetrator was the victim of this crime would you object to his nationality being mentioned?
    Would you say we shouldn’t shine a light on the fact that someone of foreign origin was beaten up by an Irish person. Or would you, as I suspect, shout from the rooftops that this is a coverup so we don’t look bad?
    Sauce for the goose...

You’re my hero!!!

Tell me this, if the perpetrator was the victim of this crime would you object to his nationality being mentioned?
    Would you say we shouldn’t shine a light on the fact that someone of foreign origin was beaten up by an Irish person. Or would you, as I suspect, shout from the rooftops that this is a coverup so we don’t look bad?
    Sauce for the goose...
    Lol. I don't generally "shout from rooftops" about perceived coverups, but nice attempt at transference. Your issues are your own man. Don't assume everyone else thinks the same way.

I'd wonder why it was relevant to mention unless they were beaten up because they were foreign. The flip side being that the criminals nationality is a reason for them committing the crime. And once again, despite what you seem to have inferred from the guys name, we've no basis to believe he isn't Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok this is going around in circles now.

Should anyone have something of note to update thread with - call me maybe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement