Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan solo

Options
  • 29-07-2019 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of just heading out for 10 days or 2 weeks at the end of the year. Always wanted to go. Is it a good place to go by yourself ? I'm male and in my thirties

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Very, very safe.

Not as expensive as many people say.

Wouldn't see any problems going solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

i done a good bit of asia on my own and im a male and japan is very safe most places have english speakers too

i miss their crazy vending machines and its nuts how far in tech they are over us

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Absolutely go for it, done plenty of solo travel in Japan. Incredible place and going places on your own will open up experiences that you don't get when you're with someone else. I had far more interactions with locals on my own than when I was with others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Japan is the ideal place to solo travel. Super safe and millions of things to do and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

thanks for the replies , have more and more friends having children/getting married. Very hard to organise any thing longer than a few days anymore !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Another thread on visiting Japan :)

Another excuse to post a link to my favourite Youtube channel :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTFma3rY_gI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

I went to Tokyo earlier this year on my own an it was good. I think I might head back later in the year too. There's a lot to do, except on Mondays when a lot of museums and such are closed.

If you're going to Tokyo get a Suica card and avoid the embarrassment of buying the wrong train company ticket and holding everyone one up at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Great countrybto visit and travel. But you will need warm clothes for end of year, especially if you travel north of Tokyo. Still worth going there even in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Spent a week in Tokyo recently.

Couple of thoughts:
    (i) Jet lag was tough. It didnt ruin the trip by any stretch but I found it difficult to adjust to their sleeping times.
    (ii) Tokyo at first sight for me wasnt that impressive, but i really got into it.
    Its a lot more subtle than the US or Europe where you have a lot of showy buildings. In Japan there is a lot more emphasis on design, and frequently it was the interior of buildings that left the most lasting impact, rather than the outside.
    (iii) I didnt think it was that expensive.
    (iv) Cycling is a fantastic way to get around Tokyo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

I am heading over in January for a week flying in and out of Osaka. Any ideas for the week would be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

My experience was outside of major cities there is very little English spoken so you'll need to learn some Japanese to survive.

Apart from that it's a beautiful country with the nicest and most helpful people on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

Steve wrote: »
    My experience was outside of major cities there is very little English spoken so you'll need to learn some Japanese to survive.

Apart from that it's a beautiful country with the nicest and most helpful people on the planet.

True about the people, one of nicest you will come across even though many don’t speak English.

I stopped off in Tokyo for a few days on my own going to NZ a few years ago. Remember trying to get some sleeping tablets for the plane as I was still getting over jetlag.

The last day in Tokyo at the train station chemist, everything in Japanese so couldn’t find the pills. Decided to try doodling on a piece of paper, drew a stickman in bed, an airplane and a cross. Chemist smiled and gave me what I was looking for. As the saying goes a picture paints a thousand words. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

One other thing -

The conventional stereotype of the Japanese would be along the lines of workaholic, automaton, serious people.

These people really know how to let their hair down, and the streetlife in the evening in the Izakayas is great fun. Dublin could learn from it.

Well all booked, 15 days, probably 12 with travelling, if ye could give a bit of itenery

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102726815

For next year we're looking a few days in Tokyo, then north for couple of days in Sendai and a visit to cat island. Then week / 10 days in Hokkaido before finishing back up in Tokyo.

In 2018 we spent a week in Kanazawa. From there you can do day trips to Shirakawago, Wakura Onsen and the Kurobe Gorge railway.

It's hard to explain Japan - the mix of traditional and modern.

I found the older generation more likely to stop and "talk".

Fair play OP

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Look out for some travel tips in the rugby forum - thousands of Irish will be there over the next couple of months for the RWC.

A Japan Rail pass must be purchased before getting to Japan. It saves a LOT of money if you are taking a few journeys. There are a few quirks - do a little research on sim cards/mifi and atms as things work differently over there. And don't slam the taxi doors!

But an incredibly beautiful and safe country - I have travelled there solo several times. You'll have a great time.

I'm curious about the taxi door now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

2smiggy wrote: »
    I'm curious about the taxi door now!!

The taxi doors are motorised, so slamming them shut could damage the mechanism. It does feel a bit unnatural to not close the door, so it can be hard to remember sometimes after a few drinks.

Two more taxi factoids - the drivers all wear white gloves, which may make you feel special. What will make you feel less special is the price of a taxi from Narita airport to central Tokyo - around €150-€250 depending where in the city - so give yourself lots of time to use public transport.

I'll be avoiding taxis so 😳

If you can use your phone data over there google maps is pretty good for public transport, in Tokyo at least.

• Advertisement

Looking for something else I stumbled across some Japanenglish type TV channels.

http://www.freeintertv.com/main/Japan-1-0-desc-1

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

0lddog wrote: »
    Looking for something else I stumbled across some Japanenglish type TV channels.

http://www.freeintertv.com/main/Japan-1-0-desc-1

:D

Yeah - we'd get back to hotel room and watch the crazy game shows.

Evade wrote: »
    If you can use your phone data over there google maps is pretty good for public transport, in Tokyo at least.

can download the maps offline , and just use the GPS. Handy even in Ireland for trips to west cork and west kerry !!

can download the maps offline , and just use the GPS. Handy even in Ireland for trips to west cork and west kerry !!
    I don't think you can download all of Tokyo.

Evade wrote: »
    I don't think you can download all of Tokyo.

just had a look on my phone , you are right !! Can't seem to download any of Japan offline

If you can't or it's too expensive to use your phone over there they sell WiFi hotspots and SIM cards in the airport.

just had a look on my phone , you are right !! Can't seem to download any of Japan offline

Seems to be the same situation with the 'Here' app :confused:

Use MAPS.ME app which is great for downloading local maps and using them offline to navigate. It also has a GPS so it pin points where you are.

https://maps.me/en/download/

davepatr07 wrote: »
    Use MAPS.ME app which is great for downloading local maps and using them offline to navigate. It also has a GPS so it pin points where you are.

https://maps.me/en/download/

Does it do public transport navigation?

• Advertisement

Havn't tried that part of the app just use it for GPS and getting my bearings in a town/city but this link might answer your question..

https://support.maps.me/hc/en-us/articles/115004415773-Rapid-transit-routes

Advertisement