Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer Rights: Maximum Repair Time?

Options
  • 29-07-2019 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi I recently purchased a laptop that was faulty. It has been returned for repair where I was told it would be returned to me in 7 to 12 working days. They are now saying that they need to replace the motherboard but the part isn't in stock so they are waiting. It has been 18 working days and still no update on the part.

After what length of time am I allowed to insist on a replacement or a refund? Imo replacing the monitor on a small laptop like this is pretty much replacing the whole hardware anyway.

I can't find anything online about my consumer rights in this situation.

If anyone could advise it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Moved: please be aware of the charter in the new forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The law says something along the lines of it not causing significant inconvenience. On phone so can't link, will do later.

I'd say you're within your rights at this stage but forcing them is a different story.

Are you within the first six months of purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MarkH748

The law says something along the lines of it not causing significant inconvenience. On phone so can't link, will do later.

I'd say you're within your rights at this stage but forcing them is a different story.

Are you within the first six months of purchase?

Thanks for the reply. I'll do some googling but if you could link that later that'd be great!

Yes I am within the first six months of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

MarkH748 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I'll do some googling but if you could link that later that'd be great!

Yes I am within the first six months of purchase.

The only way to force the situation and you may not be successful is to buy a new one and claim through the small Claims procedure. I wouldn't recommend it but it might help as a threat, probably not though :pac:

Google SI 11 of 2003

Advertisement