Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting garden walls - colour?

Options
  • 29-07-2019 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking at painting the garden walls which are currently just standard grey brick.

What colours other than white would people recommend? If I paint it how often would I have to re-paint them?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭daheff

get some masonry paint first off. out a good 2 coats on and you wont need to paint for about 5 years. you mught need a primer too

colourwise, really depends what you want.
    i've seen walls painted
    white
    sandy yellow
    chalk
    terracotta
    duck egg
    brown

most looked nice, but my preference would be for a lighter, inconspicuous colour.

buy some tester pots and paint up a couple of areas to see which you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭whodafunk

daheff wrote: »
    get some masonry paint first off. out a good 2 coats on and you wont need to paint for about 5 years. you mught need a primer too

colourwise, really depends what you want.
    i've seen walls painted
    white
    sandy yellow
    chalk
    terracotta
    duck egg
    brown

most looked nice, but my preference would be for a lighter, inconspicuous colour.

buy some tester pots and paint up a couple of areas to see which you prefer.

Thank you for all your helpfel information on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Are you going to leave it as a blank painted wall? You should consider how you are going to repaint it after the five years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I went with white on mine. Adds a lot of light, has a vaguely Mediterranean feel and most importantly is a huge improvement on breeze-block grey. Couple of shots below taken just now, paint job seriously needs a touch up and excuse the chaos that is my garden, but gives a general idea.

486954.jpg

486953.jpg

Best time to paint is any time after you've done some serious pruning, which depends to some extent on what you're growing against the walls. Looking at the above pics, that's a job for me this Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Camo?

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    486953.jpg

Are they figs? Some crop!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Pears.

Should have known from the leaf.
    Heavy crop = low hanging fruit...

New Home wrote: »
    Pears.

Yep, figs cropping well this year too but nothing like that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I looked out at "my" breeze blocks the other day, and I thought how much nicer the place would look if I painted them sage green, they'd be lovely in winter, too. Sadly, not my house, so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

smacl wrote: »
    I went with white on mine. Adds a lot of light, has a vaguely Mediterranean feel and most importantly is a huge improvement on breeze-block grey. Couple of shots below taken just now, paint job seriously needs a touch up and excuse the chaos that is my garden, but gives a general idea.

Your fuchsia is very nice. I have tried to grow fuchsia in the past without success - just dies off completely in winter.

Maybe not in your budget or an option, but this looks amazing, timber cladding, i am going to try this myself when i get the time to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X8xuipr4_A

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Slasher wrote: »
    Your fuchsia is very nice. I have tried to grow fuchsia in the past without success - just dies off completely in winter.
    Wrap it in horticultural fleece before the first frosts arrive, unwrap in April.The same applies to Bay Trees and other tender shrubs.

Get the fleece in a garden centre ( or Lidl/Aldi when on offer).
    Strangely, my late mother and mother-in-law could both grow a profusion of Fuchsia in Finglas,unprotected, while ten miles further north it can't survive unprotected, except in the mildest of winters.

Slasher wrote: »

Thanks, though more happenstance than any gardening acumen. In my experience, the common Fuschias are very robust and will put up with all sorts of abuse, while the decorative ones sacrifice this for the preferred aesthetic. Was actually thinking of getting rid of it at one point but it is great for pollinating insects and gives a nice blast of late colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭whodafunk

So to bring this thread back on focus...!!!!

I picked up some testers

Cornish (too dark in colour in my opinion)
    Magnolia (looks nice but whst about across 3 entire walls in the garden?). Is Magnolia still popular for garden walls as paint. I thought Magnolia was paint from many moons ago and very dated?!!

White - not picked up a tester but is this too much across the 3 garden walls?

Would appreciate people's opinions. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

I would say the lighter the paint the more it ages badly if you get me. ie white and magnolia more likely to need redoing in a shorter space of time.

Personally I'd say dont be afraid of bold colours...I reckon theres enough magnolia in the world..it has its place but give consideration to all the options before making your choice, at least if you end of back at magnolia you've given it some thought!

few pics below of work we did last summer..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B0wms5ZhW9sgUNcExC8qNpF1T8mQZ7lY

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1amk9gSFNC0mp0FAZZXfa8dEzPKHM4n_P/view?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BookBook

Doop wrote: »
    I would say the lighter the paint the more it ages badly if you get me. ie white and magnolia more likely to need redoing in a shorter space of time.

Personally I'd say dont be afraid of bold colours...I reckon theres enough magnolia in the world..it has its place but give consideration to all the options before making your choice, at least if you end of back at magnolia you've given it some thought!

few pics below of work we did last summer..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B0wms5ZhW9sgUNcExC8qNpF1T8mQZ7lY

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1amk9gSFNC0mp0FAZZXfa8dEzPKHM4n_P/view?usp=sharing

Stunning colour. The whole garden is so lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 andypants

Hi all,

I have a similar situation whereby our garden walls were never before painted.

Would you think its a bad idea to paint the walls a darker colour? (dark grey for example).

We have nothing planted yet, but the idea would be to create a dark background to then draw your attention to the colourful plants. Also the darker colour may age better as well as helping to hide little defects in the block work.

Any experience with that idea anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

andypants wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a similar situation whereby our garden walls were never before painted.

Would you think its a bad idea to paint the walls a darker colour? (dark grey for example).

We have nothing planted yet, but the idea would be to create a dark background to then draw your attention to the colourful plants. Also the darker colour may age better as well as helping to hide little defects in the block work.

Any experience with that idea anyone?

Consider green, as it can make the garden appear bigger. Other colours and shades can be nice too but make the garden feel more like an enclosed outdoor room. Green can add to the effect of foliage and be a great back drop for flowers. It really depends on personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Are you going to leave it as a blank painted wall? You should consider how you are going to repaint it after the five years.

This is the important consideration for me, it looks great on day one but then trees, shrubs, climbers etc are in the way and how do you repaint and keep it looking well in 5 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I painted (very badly) some block walls in the garden in a light magnolia-ish colour. It soaks up paint like a sponge. Without being specifically artistic it did improve the look of the place, and even though I didn't do it again and the paintwork got very sad, the sad magnolia looked better than the original block colour.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Maybe not in your budget or an option, but this looks amazing, timber cladding, i am going to try this myself when i get the time to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X8xuipr4_A

This is what I would do.

I have nothing growing against my wall (well, i do, but in pots, not actually in contact with the wall) and I went with white. I think white is the new magnolia. A clean basic tidy colour.

I did it two years ago and it still looks as new. Every year I need to wash it with a hose-brush to get rid of some algae that appears on the wall a bit, but it only takes about 20 minutes start to finish, so not a big job.

I'd recommend it, but then I love white/grey in general so maybe im biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Painter here,did a job for a lady last spring white masonry paint looked really good as she had 3 large mirrors on opposite walls,lots of colourful climbers and pots set around, mirrors made a huge difference

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Painter here,did a job for a lady last spring white masonry paint looked really good as she had 3 large mirrors on opposite walls,lots of colourful climbers and pots set around, mirrors made a huge difference

Do the mirrors not get really dirty looking pretty quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't put mirrors in your gardens, birds fly into them and don't do their little feathery heads any good at all. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Seal the wall and then go pure brilliant white using a good brand name

Brings out everything in the garden

No manky magnolia

Wonder would it be over powering in a large garden?
    I've seen it in small ones and it looks well but large might be overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

I have two 1.8m x 30m garden walls to paint come the summer.

Put a few testers up just to see what it looked like.

Settled on a darkish grey weathershield colour.

Am having second thoughts now with the plain white mentioned here a few times as an option.

Would it not be a little too 'white' as it were..?

• Advertisement

Dark grey could be quite foreboding and minimizing...but that might not be an issue with 30m garden.
    Do you have or plan to plant anything against the wall?
    Not sure things will stand out against dark grey as well as they will for some sort of white?

Advertisement