Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting garden walls - colour?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dark grey is going to look like the bare blocks when wet I'd have thought?

We went for Fleetwood Portland which is a very light grey/bordering on green-grey really. Had to do something as there was faded white paint on a lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

I'll have raised beds,sheds and a chicken run on one side.
    The other will have a lawn and will be bare for the most part.

On a wet day like today the grey sample colour is barely noticable from the bare wet blocks.

I put up 8 sample colours and the grey was picked out by several people as the one to go with.

I'll keep an eye out for some painted walls on my travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Id worry that in the middle of winter a dark grey wall of that length is going to be....well a long dark, grey wall!

I dont even notice my wall in summer but in winter when everything has died back its a bit depressing.

What are your plans for the top of the wall? I have cap stones and i dont really want to paint half of them but dont want to leave them bare either...

One thing I'd say, to consider, is if you go with a dark colour, everytime a bird decides to grace your wall with his lovely poop, it'll stand out a bit.

On a white (or bright) wall it's not quite so notiecable.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No love for sage green, then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

had done mine few years back sand yellow- well a bit deeper but not anything popping out bright, white isnt really suited specially if its garden after any good rain mud, dirt splashes can be noticed easily, that said theres no rule on color whatever taste suits you, if you have time to at least power wash every couple months any color scheme can work, as its really maintaining it is the hardest part, as for most part of the year youll be staring at whatever you picked, so whatever isnt eye strain and can blend in or match surrounding area as in muted colors prob is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Green all the way.

Grey green or olive green, blends in with the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

awec wrote: »
    Do the mirrors not get really dirty looking pretty quickly?

TBH it was good weather but from what I saw no they were fine

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I depends a bit on the look and use of your garden. In an outdoor 'room' - an enclosed, semiformal place where you entertain (or at least it is designed to look as though you do) then strong colours of the blue/terracotta variety would look great. In a large informal garden maybe the green that is being suggested. In a cheerful, plants in pots, small town back yard maybe the white would be the way to go, it would certainly help reflect light into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm contemplating trying a very light blue...I think light, pastel colours are they way to go, unless you are trying to make a statement with the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭whodafunk

So I finally got around to starting to paint the back garden walks white. It’s very hard to get into every little area of the wall - does that really matter or is it worth spending the extra time to get a good finish? Or maybe it’s just the masonry brush I’m using.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭whodafunk

So I finally got to start to paint the back garden walls. It’s hard to get in every little hole of the brickwork. Will this matter or should I spend a little longer at it to get a better finish? Or maybe it’s the masonry brush I am using.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

whodafunk wrote: »
    So I finally got to start to paint the back garden walls. It’s hard to get in every little hole of the brickwork. Will this matter or should I spend a little longer at it to get a better finish? Or maybe it’s the masonry brush I am using.

Since it is not rendered, it will never be properly smooth. Just do what you are doing, but add a second (and maybe third) coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I quickly realised I was on a road to perdition if I tried to do every bit esp the mortar so I switched to a small roller and went for this look.

34Bpz.jpg

Sure there are loads of "bits" but short of spending a huge amount of time or making up a spray mix (and probably wrecking the spray appliance!) this was as good as it was going to be :)

I quickly realised I was on a road to perdition if I tried to do every bit esp the mortar so I switched to a small roller and went for this look.

34Bpz.jpg

Sure there are loads of "bits" but short of spending a huge amount of time or making up a spray mix (and probably wrecking the spray appliance!) this was as good as it was going to be :)

1-Do yourself a favour
    2-buy a heavy duty 9 inch sleeve
    3-Decent 6/8 inch emulsion brush
    4-paint all joint's ( all)
    5- roll up / down/ across
    6- repeat ( 3 coats on an unpainted wall)
    7- most important points, patience and tea

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

Knock na RI. It's a weathershield paint. Really nice

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

1-Do yourself a favour
    2-buy a heavy duty 9 inch sleeve
    3-Decent 6/8 inch emulsion brush
    4-paint all joint's ( all)
    5- roll up / down/ across
    6- repeat ( 3 coats on an unpainted wall)
    7- most important points, patience and tea

No!! Most important point, DON'T CONFUSE THE MUG WITH YOUR TEA WITH THE MUG FOR RINSING THE BRUSH!!!

New Home wrote: »
    No!! Most important point, DON'T CONFUSE THE MUG WITH YOUR TEA WITH THE MUG FOR RINSING THE BRUSH!!!

Need to be a pretty big mug,haha

Advertisement