Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire tv Recast

• 29-07-2019 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi All

This sounds like a fantastic bit of kit - currently only available in the US but I’m thinking out getting s friend to bring one back

Does anyone happen to know if it will work here? Or will geo restrictions etc prevent this ? TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to terrestrial.

OP as I understand it the Fire TV recast is essentially a US digital terrestrial DVR that can stream over a home LAN to Fire TV (and other) devices. My understanding is that this functionality won’t work over here because US DTT uses a completely different standard (ATSC) to Europe’s DVB-T. But maybe others are better placed to answer that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

icdg wrote: »
    Moved to terrestrial.

OP as I understand it the Fire TV recast is essentially a US digital terrestrial DVR that can stream over a home LAN to Fire TV (and other) devices. My understanding is that this functionality won’t work over here because US DTT uses a completely different standard (ATSC) to Europe’s DVB-T. But maybe others are better placed to answer that question.

This is very useful - didn’t know there was a difference between US and EU DTT , thank you

There’s doubts whether it will be launched in the UK/EU

Unfortunate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Does this device use some unusual streaming profile that makes it stand out?

Is the only benefit being it is all contained in one box rather than using 'separates' ..... hdhomerun and NAS etc ?

EDIT: Found this review which details the limitations of this device. Given those details this is something I would never touch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnHA8MERat8

Plug the aerial into the box , tune the channels then you have the live OTA, EPG and DVR on all the fire tv devices in your household- no fees etc

Amazon usually high quality products and easy to use , hence my interest

I’m not aware of anything similar on the Market that can do this job. Are there others ? Thsnks

See the link above.

Can only watch two channels on the LAN even though there are 4 tuners.
    Can only use Fire devices to watch TV.
    Recodes the signal down to 720p even though the received channel is in 1080

I, and many others, use a HDhomerun quad tuner device on my LAN, without those limitations and of course it is available with suitable tuners for DVB-T.

• Advertisement

Thanks mate- can you provide a link for the device you are using ?

Saw hdhomerun requires a sub ?

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Saw hdhomerun requires a sub ?

I do not know as I use it only on my LAN and record locally.
    I do not use any software provided by the manufacturer.
    I use it as a SAT>IP type device with tvheadend managing the tuners.
    You can also generate a channel.list.m3u for use by media apps such as VLC which can be set to record the channel also.

There are two versions ..... one a dual tuner and the other HDHomerun Quad (4 tuners).

I do not know as I use it only on my LAN and record locally.
    I do not use any software provided by the manufacturer.
    I use it as a SAT>IP type device with tvheadend managing the tuners.
    You can also generate a channel.list.m3u for use by media apps such as VLC which can be set to record the channel also.

There are two versions ..... one a dual tuner and the other HDHomerun Quad (4 tuners).

Cheers , any idea if you could get a device that would gaff two inputs - one from a dish for freesat and one aerial for saorview ?

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Cheers , any idea if you could get a device that would gaff two inputs - one from a dish for freesat and one aerial for saorview ?

Depending on how you want to set up your system, the requirements will change.

For instance I use separate devices
    HDHomerun Quad with DVB-T tuners
    TelestarDigibit R1 with DVB-S tuners
    A small control box (Tanix Tx3 mini) to address the tuners and control allocation and recordings and EPG etc etc.
    All of those are connected by ethernet cable through a small switch to the LAN and multiple devices can access the Live TV, recorded material as well as any stored media I wish to share on the LAN.

Alternatively you could get a VBox 3344 or alternative, and set that up to distribute via DLNA on the LAN.

Both those solutions means the coax cables from the aerial/dish are only required in one location, with the TV channels being provided over the LAN as 'data' to client devices such as Smart TVs, PCs, tablets, phones etc.. In fact to anything that can run software to receive the data.

There are lots of options out there, and different means of achieving similar aims.

You must chose your specific aim and select the means to get there that suits your particular situation.

Very few of us would be satisfied if we could only buy one shoe type in one size ...... that is how I regard my home system .... it must fit ME. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement