Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Eabha19

Options
  • 29-07-2019 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I'm a bit late to this as we start week 5 of DCM training but decided to give logging a go - if nothing else it might give me an outlet to discuss my training without boring my poor husband!

I'm 44, have three children, work part time and have been running 3-4 years. Pre-marathon training I was running 4 times a week - 2 club sessions of tempo or hills on a Monday, speed intervals on a Wednesday, long run on a Saturday and recovery on a Sunday.

My pbs are:
    5k - 24m33s
    10k - 53m:48ss
    10m - 1:28:22
    HM - 1:58:28

I had started pre-training with a club mate and we had gotten up to 24kms on our long runs in June but I was struggling to keep up with him. I then joined the boards DCM novice thread and have found with the emphasis on slow running that I've had to go solo. I try to join my club mates for one run a week still - for a recovery on Sunday evening. It is a little faster than plan but it's still fairly relaxed and I get to catch up with the guys. I think they think I'm losing it a bit running at 7min/km or thereabouts. We do have a club plan but it's not really for first timers and I think I'd be at risk of injury following it. Speaking of injury I have an achilles issue since I was 23 that niggles with long runs - I manage it with stretches but it's always slighty there.

My goal is 4:30 or at a stretch 4:20 but the real goal is to enjoy it and finish feeling I had given it my best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

I'll start by logging week 4. I'm following the boards novice plan and so far I've been enjoying it.

Monday - 3.09miles at 10:57 min/mls pace average

Tuesday - 3.54 miles at 11:15 min/mls pace average - this was supposed to be a four miler but I read the plan wrong. My stomach got upset during it so I had to run into the local gaa club and pass all the customers in my sweaty gear to make it to the toilet. Nice!!

Wednesday - 6.15 miles at 10:46 min/mls pace average. I included 5 x 100 metre strides in my 4th mile which I found tough enough although 5 was few enough that it was manageable. I need to work out a better 6 mile route - I had to double back on myself and wind a bit through estate roads to hit the 6 miles!

Thursday - rest. I reckoned the hubby would get thick if I went out again Thursday evening so I switched my rest day from Friday to Thursday.

Friday - 4 miles at 10:54 min/mils pace average. I did this at lunch time running across town, down to the 3 arena and ending with two laps of Merrion Square. It was really hot and I felt it - somehow lunch runs are always tough for me. I rather evening or morning but it makes sense to get them out of the way during the day rather than another evening leaving the family.

Saturday - 15 miles LSR at 11:05 min/mls pace average. I took just a 250 mls water bottle in my hand, forgetting to put my flipbelt water bottle into the belt so I finished the water at about 9 miles and was thirsty by the end. I run at 7 a.m. on a glass of water and half a cup of tea - our coach at the club always recommends running the long run on empty and it works for me because I don't want to get up at 5:30 to make sure I've given it an hour after eating before I run. I had a third of a tailwind sachet in my water but am going to buy gels this week and trial them at the weekend. My calves were tight after the long run and the achilles sore. I did my stretches but no foam rolling. Spent the day ironing afterwards (and watching Schitt's Creek on netflix) so my back was sore by the end of the day. I definitely notice though that I feel better after the LSRs with the slower pace than I was feeling in early June running them faster - when I did 24 kms in June I ran it at 10:27 min/ml pace so the difference was only half a minute or so per mile but my body definitely felt it more then.

This week have scheduled a pre-marathon physio assessment to check out the niggles and also my 15 year old pointed out that my shin bone on the dodgy leg looks weird so will check that out too (no pain with it).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck with the log. Nice job committing to the marathon training over the past few weeks.

Thanks Mr Guappa. Had my physio visit today and he says my ankle issues are manageable along with marathon training. Given more exercises and more appointments but also given permission to keep on running! Very happy with that. And my weird shin bone identified by my son is nothing to do with the bone just the muscle definition in the leg - nothing to worry about.

Round up of week 6*:

Monday jog with the dog - 3.11 miles at 10:56 min/mile.
    Tuesday jog with the dog - 4.47 miles at 11 min/mile (I mistakenly read this as a 4 miler but it was a 5 miler - having said that with the route I chose I got nearly to 4.5 anyway)
    Wednesday - 7 miles - mile 1 easy at 11:06 min/mi
    mile 2 MP 10:02 min/mi
    mile 3 MP 10:02 min/mi
    mile 4 MP 10:01 min/mi
    mile 5 MP 9:57 min/mi
    mile 6 MP 9:57 min/mi
    mile 7 easy 11:01 min/mi
    Thursday - easy 3 mile with the dog
    Saturday - 16 mile LSR. I brought water which I left at the front of my estate knowing I'd be looping by it later and took 2 gels with me. I took one at about 7 miles and the other at 11 miles. Not sure they made much of a difference but my stomach was ok (I did need to use the toilet as soon as I got in so not entirely sure they wouldn't cause issues if the run had been longer). I started on my own but my sister joined me at 6 miles and ran for 8 with me and then I did a bit of zig zagging near home to make up the 16 miles. It worked well for both of us - she hasn't been running much lately so the easier pace suited her and it was really nice to break up the run with some company. My club mates were running 28km or 30 km this weekend following their plan so there's a niggling worry in me that I'm not doing enough in comparison and running way slower in comparison but I don't think my body could keep up with the club plan so just have to do what feels right for me. I saw my physio and he has no issue with me doing the marathon and gave me a few more issues to help manage my ankle issues. Not sure if it's just in my head but already feels a little better. Still a bit sore after long run yesterday but by an hour or so after I got in it was back to normal.
    Sunday - 3 miles very easy with the dog and a Chinese takeaway awaiting me at home.

On to week 7 with a step back to 14 miles for long run this week - I should be feeling delighted about that but feel slightly anxious that I should be doing more of the 20 milers to be sure I can make it to the finish line. Anyway, trust the plan and stepback it is!

*started log at beginning of week 6 not week 5 despite my first post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Well done on the week!
    eabha19 wrote:
    On to week 7 with a step back to 14 miles for long run this week - I should be feeling delighted about that but feel slightly anxious that I should be doing more of the 20 milers to be sure I can make it to the finish line. Anyway, trust the plan and stepback it is!

One key thing is not to compare yourself to what others are doing, especially when they're following a different plan. The plan you've chosen is designed for a novice marathoner, and suited where you were at the beginning of the plan. Have faith in it!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Well done on the week!

One key thing is not to compare yourself to what others are doing, especially when they're following a different plan. The plan you've chosen is designed for a novice marathoner, and suited where you were at the beginning of the plan. Have faith in it!

Thanks ReeRee G - I do know this really but there's just that little voice of doubt every now and then! In fairness our club plan has a novice section but it's got so little detail and info in it that everyone, including first timers, is trying to follow the coach's more advanced plan. He has a big emphasis on getting in lots of 30 plus km runs, with marathon paced kms for middle sections. That on top of tough mid week tempos/hills and speed work would probably have had me hobbling off the track long before now so the boards plan is definitely the one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Welcome to the logs. Loads of people for years have followed the novice plan and gotten round just fine so definitely trust the plan and you’ll be fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Marathon training - multiple ways to skin the cat (plenty of other marathons to test those out another time). Stick yours and you'll be fine. Carelessness will lead to sick bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

eabha19 wrote: »
    Round up of week 6*:

Monday jog with the dog - 3.11 miles at 10:56 min/mile.
    Tuesday jog with the dog - 4.47 miles at 11 min/mile (I mistakenly read this as a 4 miler but it was a 5 miler - having said that with the route I chose I got nearly to 4.5 anyway)
    Wednesday - 7 miles - mile 1 easy at 11:06 min/mi
    mile 2 MP 10:02 min/mi
    mile 3 MP 10:02 min/mi
    mile 4 MP 10:01 min/mi
    mile 5 MP 9:57 min/mi
    mile 6 MP 9:57 min/mi
    mile 7 easy 11:01 min/mi
    Thursday - easy 3 mile with the dog
    Saturday - 16 mile LSR. I brought water which I left at the front of my estate knowing I'd be looping by it later and took 2 gels with me. I took one at about 7 miles and the other at 11 miles. Not sure they made much of a difference but my stomach was ok (I did need to use the toilet as soon as I got in so not entirely sure they wouldn't cause issues if the run had been longer). I started on my own but my sister joined me at 6 miles and ran for 8 with me and then I did a bit of zig zagging near home to make up the 16 miles. It worked well for both of us - she hasn't been running much lately so the easier pace suited her and it was really nice to break up the run with some company. My club mates were running 28km or 30 km this weekend following their plan so there's a niggling worry in me that I'm not doing enough in comparison and running way slower in comparison but I don't think my body could keep up with the club plan so just have to do what feels right for me. I saw my physio and he has no issue with me doing the marathon and gave me a few more issues to help manage my ankle issues. Not sure if it's just in my head but already feels a little better. Still a bit sore after long run yesterday but by an hour or so after I got in it was back to normal.
    Sunday - 3 miles very easy with the dog and a Chinese takeaway awaiting me at home.

I learned the hard way that following crowd was not the best thing for me .( still do it mind- but I’m more able to control the pace now and do easy runs alone ) My Club sessions often are done flat out despite a slower prescribed pace and there is no such thing as a boards level easy run . I have ended up exhausted and miserable doing this type of training for a marathon and the end result wasn’t pretty . I admire your strength of purpose in sticking with your chosen plan . Stick with it - I have followed enough logs in here to know it’s the job !

Welcome to logging by the way!

• Advertisement

Week 7 round up:

First off I was knackered this week - woke up with a scratchy throat and constant sneezing Sunday and Monday but it never fully developed into anything sinister other than general tiredness. I kept falling asleep - on the train journey home from work and anytime I sat on the couch!! Felt a bit sluggish on all my runs but did them as follows:
    Monday 3.11 miles at 11:06 min/mi pace
    Tuesday 4.1 miles at 11:23 min/mi pace
    Wednesday paced run:
    mile 1 WU: 11:32 min/mi pace
    mile 2 PMP: 10:02 min/mi pace
    mile 3 PMP: 10:05 min/mi pace
    mile 4 PMP: 9:49 min/mi pace
    mile 5 PMP: 9:56 min/mi pace
    mile 6 PMP 10:04 min/mi pace
    mile 7 CD: 11:03 min/mi pace
    [I did meet a friend mid-way, stop my watch and have a 5 minute natter which was a slight cheat!!]
    Thursday 4 miles at 11:00 min/mi pace - I ran with a work colleague who is also doing the marathon and who it turns out is pacing around the same as me which was handy.
    Saturday 14 miles LSR at 11:13 min/mi pace. I went out at 7 a.m. with Adam Kay's This is Going To Hurt audiobook as company for the first 7.5 miles - highly recommended by the way. Then my sister joined me and we did another 6.5 miles. I brought only a 150ml fit bit water belt which was not enough - by the end I was craving 7 up and I generally don't drink sugary drinks at all (unless you count wine as sugary!). Found I was tired from mile 1 which made it a very long run despite it being a step back week. I hadn't reached home by 14 miles but was so tired I stopped the watch once I reached 14 miles and walked the .4miles to home rather than run one step more than planned!! On the bright side I felt fine afterwards, just tired legs rather than sore legs.
    Sunday 4.41 miles "recovery" at 10:07 min/mi - I use "" because obviously that's not quite recovery pace. I met with my club mates for recovery seeing as I've abandoned them to follow my own training plan. I knew it wouldn't be slow enough for proper recovery but it's a compromise to keep up friendships and make sure I can show my face on the track come November!
    I'm switching up week 8 and 9 of the plan because I'm doing the Kilcock 10 miles instead of the Frank Duffy so it will be another lower mileage week and hopefully my legs will be able for 10 miles at race pace on Sunday. My pb is 1hr 28 mins but would be happy to keep under the hour and a half. That's a lot quicker than my current pacing so it'll test the legs and lungs - nervous about it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Well done on finishing the 14 mile LSR when the legs were tired at mile 1. I think it is quite normal for your body to feel tired during a step back week - I felt the same way for mine a few weeks back. From reading a few threads here, your body is trying to recover and heal itself from the previous weeks activities.

Treviso wrote: »
    Well done on finishing the 14 mile LSR when the legs were tired at mile 1. I think it is quite normal for your body to feel tired during a step back week - I felt the same way for mine a few weeks back. From reading a few threads here, your body is trying to recover and heal itself from the previous weeks activities.

Yeah someone said that to me on strava - it makes sense and is reassuring. I guess that's why we need stepback weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Saturday 14 miles LSR at 11:13 min/mi pace. I went out at 7 a.m. with Adam Kay's This is Going To Hurt audiobook as company for the first 7.5 miles - highly recommended by the way. Then my sister joined me and we did another 6.5 miles. I brought only a 150ml fit bit water belt which was not enough - by the end I was craving 7 up and I generally don't drink sugary drinks at all (unless you count wine as sugary!). Found I was tired from mile 1 which made it a very long run despite it being a step back week. I hadn't reached home by 14 miles but was so tired I stopped the watch once I reached 14 miles and walked the .4miles to home rather than run one step more than planned!! On the bright side I felt fine afterwards, just tired legs rather than sore legs.

Running on tired legs is great practice for the end of the marathon. Well done on toughing it out.

Good luck in Kilcock.

Week 8 Round Up

This week was a less intensive week as I had Kilcock Race today so dropped the mileage a little and, given how wrecked I was last week I dropped from 6 runs to 5 for the week. Felt good if a little guilty that I wasn't running hard enough. Had physio on Tuesday and he pummelled the achilles and heel for a half hour which was not pleasant but noticed the difference running on Wednesday.

Monday - rest although I still went to the club to celebrate one of our member's retirement from work. He's amazing and inspiring - 65 years of age, was a great runner in his youth but over 30 years out of action he's back in the last few years and flying past us all. He's doing DCM too and will fly it.

Tuesday - 5 miles at 10:45 min/mi. I was supposed to be doing 4 according to my race adjusted plan but was feeling so good I decided to switch the Thursday 5 miler to Tuesday (Thursdays are work days for me so harder to squeeze in anything over 4 miles). Was a gorgeous morning and enjoyed every bit of that run!

Wednesday - 4 miles at 10:25 min/mi. Included 5 x 100m strides in mile 4. Again felt pretty good and benefitting from the physio's work on the ankle the day before.

Thursday - 4 miles at 10:57 min/mi. Had to take the morning off work for a medical appt for my son so I ran at midday and found it pretty hot and tough going in the sun.

Saturday - plan was for 2 miles easy but have a bit of a pre-race tradition of doing a few race pace strides into a short easy run so ran with one of my clubmates for 3.8 miles with 6 x 200m strides in the middle. Very enjoyable and gave me a bit of confidence that my legs could run at 9 min miles even if only for 200 metres at a time!

Sunday: My race report from the novice thread is copied below from the Kilcock 10 mile race:
    I followed the adjusted plan this week (thank you Mr Guappa) so should have been fairly well rested this week. Yesterday however was a bit mental as I had to drop my boys to airport at 5 a.m. and then spent 9 hours traipsing around Tayto Park with 8 little girls for my daughter's birthday party. Not ideal but after a big takeaway curry I did get to bed by 10:30 and slept well.
    We got to the run nice and early, no problem parking and plenty of toilets available. I was with my club mates and we ran about a mile together warming up - I don't always do a warm up at longer races (unless I'm literally cold in winter races) but it was great to warm up my ankle as my first mile is always where it hurts me the most.
    I was saying my race goal was sub 90 mins but really I wanted to beat my PB of 1hr28 or at least match it (don't we all always want to beat ourselves!). My strategy was to stick with the 90 min pacers and then in second half try to run ahead of them. The pacers were 3 very friendly, cheery girls and I enjoyed running with them. I felt very comfortable running with them and enjoyed the very flat route, gentle drizzle and the company of the pacing pack. I took on a small bit of water at 3 miles but, even though I know they're much more environmentally friendly, I can't manage those cups well and had to catch up with the pack after struggling to throw a few sips in my mouth. At 5 miles I thought about running on but decided to stick with the pacers til we reached 7 miles. At 6 miles I managed to throw the cup of water in my eye instead of my mouth - definitely getting into running with my own bottles for future long races.

At about 7 miles stage myself and another girl moved out a little and ran together for the next three miles, most of which were along the canal. Realistically we didn't get much further than the pacers as this stretch was the toughest - I found that I was definitely no longer comfortable at this stretch and whilst I'd up the pace for a bit, I'd find I couldn't keep it consistently and not sufficiently faster to make any real difference to finish time. The canal stretch felt so long and tough! I picked it up as much as I could for the last kilometre but my breathing was very laboured and I fell over that finish line at 29 mins 17 secs! A sub 90 mins but not a pb. Not sure if I could have reached the pb if I had just run at my average pace for the pb 10 mile or if I had tried to break away from the group a little earlier but having said that I did enjoy the company of the pacers too - just felt like the route and the conditions were perfect for a pb. However, I was really glad to see that my legs can still run under 10 minute miles after all my slower running over the last few weeks.
    Mile breakdowns as follows - first 7 were set by the pacers, last three was where I tried to move forward (it looks like I slowed down but I think the pacers dropped pace a little as they had banked a few seconds along the way)
    1 - 8:46 min/mi
    2- 9:10
    3- 8:53
    4- 8:57
    5- 8:51
    6 - 8:56
    7- 9:01
    8- 9:06
    9 - 8:58
    10 - 8:35

We ended the race with a trip to the pub for a glass of wine and a packet of crisps and then I went straight to bed when I came home.

So on to week 9 - are we nearly there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on your 10mile today :)

So on to week 9 - are we nearly there yet?

Dunno - it seems so close but so far away !

Congrats on what seemed like a very enjoyable comfortable race for you !

Week 9 review:

Got through another week - feeling delighted that I'm still here without injury and getting to the start line in October is feeling more and more real.

Monday: 3 miles easy at 11:25 min/mi - was supposed to be 2 miles but my shortest loop is 3 miles and I hate the thoughts of running a mile, turning around and running back. Plus the poor dog would be heartbroken!
    Tuesday: 3 miles easy at 11:26 min/mi

Wednesday: paced run
    mile 1: warm up 11:20 min/mi
    mile 2: 9:52 min/mi
    mile 3: 9:52 min/mi
    mile 4: 9:54 min/mi
    mile 5: 9:47 min/mi (lots of downhill!)
    mile 6: 9:53 min/mi
    mile 7: 9:54 min/mi
    mile 8: cool down 10:42 min/mi
    I normally do the paced run on Wednesday evening/night after work but got up early Wednesday instead. Was surprised at how much fresher my legs felt - the weather was gorgeous and ran through Castletown Park loving it. Normally when I do the PMP miles I wonder how I'll manage to keep it up for 26 miles but this week it felt comfortable and enjoyable. Probably my most enjoyable training run so far in this journey.
    Thursday: 4 miles easy at 10:55 min/mi Another pre-work run - once the kids go back to school this won't be an option as I'll have to get them out to school before work so it was good to squeeze one more in and have an evening running free
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: 16 miles LSR at 11:01 min/mi. I planned a new route on strava and in order to finish at park run I drove to Castletown Park to start from there and have my car for end of the park run. I ran into Celbridge and out on the canal to the Village at Lyons - so pretty and it was a gorgeous morning. I ran back on the road from Ardclough to Celbridge and got a loop in at Castletown before joining the park run. Had to stop and wait 5 mins for the park run to start and was relieved that the muscles didn't decide to seize up during the pause. My legs were tired for the park run but it was nice to finish with a crowd, knowing that all I had to do was hobble to the car afterwards! I didn't take any gels (or have breakfast beforehand) but took 3 small bottles of water and was very glad of them - it got hot for the last hour of the run. Spent the afternoon helping my sister do crowd control at her daughter's birthday so didn't get a whole lot of time to recover. Ankle still acts up a lot on long run day but back to normal today.
    Sunday: 3 miles at 10:48 min/mi
    Next week is a big one with the 19 miles on Saturday - getting nervous about that already. Plus kids back to school which means on my days off (Mondays and Tuesdays) I can run whilst they're at school but no more runs before work and will have to factor in homework again into the busy days. Also their next school holiday is the week of DCM!!

Week 10 review
    I started the week off feeling a bit wrecked and blue but I think it was more down to trying to get the kids sorted to go back to school - so many last minute things had to be done and I also just hate the thoughts of September and homework and dark evenings on the way. I had the week off work but it was quickly filled up with shopping trips for books and uniforms.

Monday: 3 miles easy with the dog @10:44min/mi. My stomach didn't feel great afterwards and despite this I still went out with my hubby and daughter for an end of school holidays dinner and I spent the night getting sick until about 4 a.m:eek:.
    Tuesday: 4 miles easy with the dog @ 10:42 min/mi
    Wednesday I was supposed to do the PMP run but kids were starting school the next day, hubby was in work until 8:30 and I just felt wrecked so I decided to switch my rest day from Friday to Wednesday which meant I was able to take advantage of my leave and the kids being at school to get the runs in earlier.
    Thursday: 8 miles
    mile 1@ 11:02 min/mi
    mile 2@ 9:58 min/mi
    mile 3@ 10:05 min/mi
    mile 4@ 9:54 min/mi
    mile 5@ 10:04 min/mi
    mile 6@ 10.03 min/mi
    mile 7@ 9:58 min/mi
    mile 8@ 10:50 min/mi
    I found this tough enough and ended up falling asleep on the couch afterwards - so much for all the housework I was going to get done once kids went back to school!
    Friday: 4 miles easy after school run with my sister and her friend (and the dog)- company really is a great help!
    Saturday: I was quite apprehensive about the jump from 16 miles to 19 miles but happily my sister and her friend joined me after 12 miles so I had company for the last 7 miles. Because I knew I was meeting them mentally I was only trying to get to 12 miles and it really helped. We ended our route on the Castletown park run which I have never yet brought a bar code too (need to add that to LSR planning for future!) and I had to add just .3 of a mile at the end to get to 19. I seriously felt like a superhero albeit a superhero who could hardly walk!! I can't say I ended feeling super strong, my legs were heavy and I 'd say my feet were only just lifting off the ground but I could have kept plodding on if I'd had to. My heel was really sore once I stopped and I was a bit worried. Took my little one to swimming lessons and when I got back I had an afternoon nap which was heavenly. I woke up and my heel felt a hundred times better - rest is the medicine of the gods truly!!
    Sunday: I squeezed in a 3 miles recovery with the dog @ 11:05 min/mi before heading to the local GAA club to watch the All Ireland. I'd say my heart rate was more elevated at the match than it was running! Had a few drinks and stayed til the ungodly hour of 9pm and was well pleased I had managed to squeeze in the 3 miles beforehand!
    Getting the 19 miles in was a real confidence booster even though there were a few times this week where I did feel really fatigued. I got myself a multi vitamin also and gonna try address my crappy eating habits now that Sensible September has arrived. Back to see the physio tomorrow too - see if he can do some more magic on that achilles to keep it under control. And just the small matter of a 20 mile LSR this weekend...

Week 11 round up

Another week down with the plan's longest LSR and I'm still here!

Monday:
    I got out early after dropping my daughter to school and drove the dog to the lovely Castletown House where we had a lovely easy circle of the park. She was happy out as she got a little off the lead time (I may not have mentioned but my easy runs are doubly easy because my little dog pulls me along like Rudolph dragging Santa's sleigh!!)
    3 miles at 10:59 min/mi
    Tuesday:
    I would have liked to get out again Tuesday morning but the morning got filled up with a visit to a secondary school, buying school books and two physio appointments! My running physio signed me off until after the marathon - I'm basically managing it as well as can be expected with exercise at the moment and when I'm doing less mileage I hopefully can eliminate it completely so that's a post-marathon goal. Eventually got out when the hubby came home from his 12 hour shift (hello/goodbye/goodnight is all we say to each other half the time at the moment - maybe another post-marathon goal is to get to know each other again!!)
    4 miles easy at 11:20 min/mi
    Wednesday: I brought my running gear into work trying to figure out how I could fit 8 miles into my day. In the end I put the running gear on before leaving work, took the train to the car park, unloaded my handbag and then did the 8 miles before heading home for fear that once I got home and sat on the couch I would not move off it. My sister and her friend joined me for the last 3.5 miles which helped a lot. Didn't get home from work as a result til nearly 9 o'clock.
    8 miles easy at 11:01 min/mi
    Thursday I left the house at 8:30 for work and got home at 11:30 p.m. I did pilates at lunch which would have been my only opportunity for squeezing in the run but I had signed up for the course to try to help strengthen my core before the marathon so it's kind of part of the plan too! So Thursday was an accidental rest day that felt anything but restful!!
    Friday:
    As advised by the great Huzzah I squeezed in my 4 miles but dropped the strides as it was so close to the LSR
    4 miles easy at 11:06 min/mi
    Saturday
    Up at 6 a.m. with a quick cuppa tae before heading out at 6:30. I ran 12.5 miles on my own and then met my sister at Castletown House - we ran out of the park into Celbridge and came back to the park just in time for the park run. The legs were well heavy for the park run and I pretty much dragged myself through. At the end I had to make up another half mile so I didn't have the joy of running through the finish line. Was very glad to have it over. My sis had her car with her so she drove me home, by the time we got to my house I could hardly walk but like last week I felt a lot better once I managed to rest later in the day. It did occur to me yesterday that maybe a few stretches might avoid or at least reduce this post-long run pain - will have to remember that next week!
    20 miles at 10:57 min/mi (total time on feet 3 hrs 39 mins)
    Sunday
    I joined two of my clubmates for a recovery run - have missed them so it was nice to catch up. Looking forward to getting back to sessions after marathon is done.
    3 miles at 11:02 min/mi

Was feeling a bit worried after the long run as to whether I can manage to do this. But today I got my email from DCM and I felt excitement rather than dread - I might just be able to call myself a marathon runner in 7 weeks time!! (a once off marathon runner may I say!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nice week. Lots of dedication on show here.

As for this being your one and only marathon - not buying it :)

Week 12 round up

Wow! Can't believe we're at week 12 already, the weeks are flying in even if the miles feel long along the way!

Monday: 3 miles at 10:36 min/mi with the dog dragging me around again!
    Tuesday: I did the long mid week run on Tuesday instead of Wednesday as I was off work and it just seemed like a big ask for fit in work, commute and an 11 mile run.
    mile 1: 11:21 min/mi
    mile 2: 10:00 min/mi
    mile 3 10:12 min/mi
    mile 4: 10:05 min/mi
    mile 5: 10:10 min/mi
    mile 6: 10:03 min/mi
    mile 7: 10:02 min/mi
    mile 8: 9:59 min/mi
    mile 9: 10:02 min/mi
    mile 10: 10:11 min/mi
    mile 11: 10:56 min/mi
    It was tough but felt thrilled to have it done and to note that it's the longest midweek run and it's finished! :D
    Wednesday: 6 miles at 11:37 min/mi at 9:00 p.m. after a day's work, chipper chips and birthday cake with my 16 year old firstborn! Thankfully the chips and cake caused no issues on the run! Happily my sister joined me to give me some company in the dark
    Thursday: pilates at lunch was cancelled and I only realised when I got to the venue so I was dressed for a run anyway and happily got it over with running around Stephen's Green 3 miles @ 11:07 min/mi
    Friday: Rest day :)
    Saturday: 16 miles LSR at 10:58 min/mi After doing 20 miles last week this should have felt easy but I was alone for all of it and it felt pretty damn long. As is now usual every Saturday I spent the rest of the day limping - it didn't help that I was walking around Tayto Park for the day!! Heel fine after a night's sleep or fine-ish.
    Sunday: Joined my clubmates for a recovery run 3.7 miles @10:42 min/mi
    Realised when I got home that my weekly kms on strava was at 69.3 km - if I had only known I would definitely have made up that extra .7 tonight. So close to 70 - raging!!
    Getting a fair few negative vibes from the hubby about the all consuming marathon at the moment - he'll be more excited about the taper than me!! 3 weeks to taper:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on a great week!

Haha getting those vibes myself off the hubby...kinda things like can't wait till this marathon is done etc but little does he know i've caught the bug so once this marathon is done i shall be moving onto something else :D

Will break that to him gently after DCM ;)

A great mileage week with or without the .7. !

Well done

Week 13 round up

Monday: 3 miles @11.11 min/mi - took the dog for a wander around Castletown Park in the rain and ended up following her into a forest part where I was hopping over fallen trees and negotiating nettles!

Tuesday: 4 miles with 5 x 100m strides @ 10:21 min/mi

Wednesday: 3 miles at 11:34 min/mi with my sister after a distressing evening where my rescue dog bit a neighbour's child. I was in a state, my daughter who had had her out on the lead at the time was in a state and my neighbour was amazingly kind about it but still not the better for it. (muzzle and trainer is the decided response although not ruling out possibility of putting her down depending on what trainer advises just in case you're interested in the fate of my dog who may I add I adore)

Thursday: Pilates at lunch, no running

Friday: I woke up with my voice completely gone and some mild cold symptoms. Instead of the planned evening run I went to a local sports recovery room which has a cryotherapy bath, hot tub, sauna and these massage boots (loved the boots!). I avoided the cryo using my cold as an excuse but really I wanted pleasure not pain - it felt lovely, not sure if it made any difference to my legs if I'm honest.

Saturday: DCM Half Marathon chip time 2:05:15. Race report is here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111312126&postcount=2830
    My pb was 1:58:27 from March - was hoping to do it either at 2 hrs or just under but I knew from about 4 miles that it wasn't going to be. Checked my splits from same race last year and my first few kms were almost exact same (finished it last year 15 secs over the 2 hrs)so I don't think I went out too fast except that I hadn't reckoned on how much the heat and maybe my sore throat would affect me. Don't feel I could have done any better on the day with a different race strategy although I was sorry I missed the pacers - I like handing over the worry about pacing to someone else.

Sunday: Tonight I ran out for a 6k recovery with my clubmates and the dog (with her new muzzle!) 3.7 miles @ 10:18 min/mi. We were drowned rats by the end - miserable night.

On to another big week with 20 miles on Saturday - hoping the cough clears up quickly, constantly clearing my throat whilst running which is irritating.

Week 14

Monday: 3 miles easy at 10:59 min/mi (should have been 4 miles but I read the plan wrong and besides I am mixing up the mid week runs every week now so that I can squeeze em in around work, kids stuff etc.)

Tuesday: 8 miles easy - persuaded hubby to do the school runs so I got out early and had it done in time to meet pals for coffee and a scone (nice post run reward)

Wednesday: 5 mile done straight after work relying on the teenage boys to mind the 8 year old girl (hubby went off to Portugal golfing on Wednesday for 5 nights so it was a week of juggling runs around kids stuff and trusting the 16 year old not to burn the house down!!)

Thursday: 4 miles at 10 p.m. feeling wrecked but just getting it done! Plus pilates at lunch which gave me back ache for a few days - bit unfortunate seeing as the main reason I did it was to try to strengthen the back and avoid injury!

Friday: rest day

Saturday: 20 miles LSR, started with the dog for 4 miles, dropped her home and ran 9 miles alone, then met my sister in Castletown, we did 4 miles around Celbridge and then the Castletown park run to end. Definitely felt a bit stronger than I did at my last 20 miles. Was feeling fairly happy with myself til I came home and realised all the clubmates had run 35 km - I had mileage envy!! Having said that overall it was a 70km week, my heel and ankle felt stronger on this long run than previously and, despite being a single parent for the week with back ache and laryngitis and a cough keeping me awake at night I put the runners on, head down and got it done.

Sunday: 3.7 miles recovery with my clubmates

1 more week before taper, feeling like the end is in sight and training-wise I've done as much as I could to stick with plan and paces (okay except for nutrition - I really could have been a hell of a lot better on that!!) Had to buy new runners yesterday as my 3 month old runners have a huge hole in the toe. Hopefully they'll be nicely broken in by D-Day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Really admirable dedication being shown. It can't have been easy fitting it all in. Well done.

week 15

Life been throwing a lot of obstacles over the last few weeks but in the face of the chaos of family life, at least with this running business I can work to a plan, more or less!

Monday: 5 miles at 10:31 min/ml pace. Again I squeezed the longer mid runs into the early week when I was off work which as it turned out was a good thing this week as Thursday and Friday ended up being write-offs.

Tuesday: 1 mile easy, 5 miles MP and 1 mile easy. I took this one a bit too fast especially given that I've settled on a 4hr 30 marathon goal. Not sure if it was the enthusiastic dog dragging me along (that really does help!) or the fact that it was pissing rain and I wanted to get home. Paced as follows:
    mile 1 - 10:43 mins
    mile 2 - 9:50 mins
    mile 3: 9:42 mins
    mile 4: 9:40 mins
    mile 5: 9:42 mins
    mile 6: 9:35 mins
    mile 7: 10:22 mins
    .21 mile: 2:15 mins
    Felt pretty good during it other than feeling wet!

Wednesday: Got out late after 10 with my sister for 5 miles @ 11:13 min/mls

Thursday: Pilates during lunch time. Had planned a 3 mile in the evening but was wrecked as when I came home from my run on Wed night I ended up having to drive to Glendalough and back for a teenager and got hardly any sleep. Then a young teen went missing from my estate so we had search parties out til he was found at 11 pm (thank God he was found safe) but it meant I didn't get the catch up sleep I was planning on.

Friday: Took another day's rest if you can call staying up til 1 a.m. to get celebrating jr certers home safe to bed a rest!!

Saturday: Did 19 miles LSR - 18 on the plan but the route worked out a little over 19 and as I ended on a park run I wasn't stopping mid way thru it! I set the alarm for 5:45 a.m., had a cuppa tea but no brekkie and packed 3 gels and 2 waters and the dog and I headed out at 6:30. It was very dark so I was glad to have her with me for a bit of safety. Did a 4 mile loop and dropped her home before heading out to do a long loop to Castletown. I met my sister there at about 12.7 miles and we ran the next 6.5 miles together - this has really helped the long runs and made the end feel much easier. For the last mile I decided to try a marathon paced mile so we ran it at 10:09 min/ml - felt fine for one mile, we'll see about all 26 in a few weeks time!! Overall pace was 10:51 min/miles.

Sunday: Did a recovery run with the club mates - 3.7 miles at 10:21 min/miles

And so begins the taper and here I am online putting off my morning run! And off we go!

Week 16
    I moved the runs around again to try to fit in around work.
    Monday: 5.3 miles @10:44 min/mi - major procrastination here after the school drop but got it done eventually!
    Tuesday: 5 miles @10:45 min/mi
    Wednesday: 5 miles @ 10:45 min/mi
    Thursday: 3 miles @11:04 min/mi
    Saturday 14.8 miles @ 10:46 min/mi - had left my phone in work so no music or audio book to keep me company. Despite the taper it still felt long enough but I did appreciate the extra time in bed having a lie-in til 6:30 a.m.!
    Sunday: 3.2 miles@10:35 min/mi

Can't believe how close it is now - me nerves!

• Advertisement

Week 17 round up

I've been putting off doing my log this week because it's making me too nervous to see how close I am to DDay but here goes:
    Monday: 4 miles at 10:41 min/mi after a few hours of procrastination! I've definitely noticed that my motivation to run during the taper has been lower, not sure if its fear or just feeling like I'm done with this training business already but for whatever reason, I had to really work hard to motivate myself to just do it this week.
    Tuesday: 4 miles with strides at 10:19 min/mi. Went out in the dark but actually enjoyed the strides when I got into them. It was nice to let go and just run hell for leather for a bit!!
    Wednesday: 3.5 miles at 11:13 min/mi - a straight out after getting home from work run, get it over with and get back for dinner!
    Thursday and Friday were both rest days with pilates on Thursday
    Saturday: I went out to do 9 miles but didn't plot the route and ended up doing almost 11 - 10.74 miles at 10:33 min/mi. The first 4 miles were too fast as the dog was with me for them and she hadn't been out since the Wednesday so she was hyper and dragged me around! I settled back to easy pace once I dropped her home. Took the time to stop and have a quick word with two different ladies that I've met almost every week doing our lonely laps to ask them were they doing Dublin and wish them well - it felt almost sad to end my last long run, they've been a huge looming part of every week, planning routes and clothes and gels. Still I won't miss those 5:45 a.m. starts. Of course I will still be running Saturday mornings but I intend on joining my clubmates again and running shorter distances, hoping the new slower me can keep up with them!
    Sunday: Recovery run with my sister 3 miles at 11:30 min/mi

And so we're almost here. My son is in a school musical this week so things are a bit busy which isn't a bad thing as I'm able to avoid getting too caught up in maranoia. I'm nervous though - so nervous I'm putting off thinking about it and planning last minute details but I know I have to face up to all that over the next few days. In fairness when I look back I've pretty much followed the plan strictly (except for that two week holiday at end June) and now is the time to trust the training and keep putting one foot in front of the other. A big thanks to the mentors and other novices who have given advice and encouragement along the way. Hope we all have a day to remember and enjoy and hopefully I'll see some of you in McGrattans after.

Advertisement