Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serbia thanks Russia for military assistance.

• 29-07-2019 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

A wise decision by the proud nation of Serbia. It is clear why Serbia chooses to align itself with the Russian Federation considering the way it was demonised and scapegoated for the Yugoslav wars. Hopefully it will remain a bastion against NATO in the Balkans for a long time to come.

https://www.apnews.com/f16d99a1a5a74f2fbae828d5760af33a

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

A wise decision by the proud nation of Serbia. It is clear why Serbia chooses to align itself with the Russian Federation considering the way it was demonised and scapegoated for the Yugoslav wars. Hopefully it will remain a bastion against NATO in the Balkans for a long time to come.

Corrupt as fcuk, even more so than Croatia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Serbia has been aligned with Russia for over a hundred years. It is a historical traditional link that goes back much further then the nineties. Was a major contribution to the start of the first world war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Why "the proud nation" of Serbia.? any more or less proud than any other nation...
    I've no major problem with any country improving its defence capabilities.. Although if it destabilises its neighbours and increases the likely hood of conflict.. Its not great

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Well they are both Slavs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Serbia with its sizeable far right groups aligned to Moscow you can see how this goes .

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 297 ✭✭NKante

What we did to the Serbs was disgusting. They were allied with us in WWII as well.

People tend to forget why Slobo was elected in the first place. When I say "forget", I mean purposely mislead and ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

NKante wrote: »
    What we did to the Serbs was disgusting. They were allied with us in WWII as well.

People tend to forget why Slobo was elected in the first place. When I say "forget", I mean purposely mislead and ignore.

Who is us? In WW2 we were neutral, we were not on any side.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

We, they, us, who are you referring to with any of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Moghead

What did we do to the Serbs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Who is this we?

• Advertisement

They heavily deserve all the demonisation they got! And far more. Now the scapegoating is slightly different alright, Croatia got off very lightly for it's crimes because it was on the right side.. same with it's crimes in WW2 that are almost unknown and we are seeing the fruit of that now with the high rates of far-right nationalism in the country. Still doesn't excuse Serbia and the Serbs though.

As for the article itself.. Serbia should be wary of NATO alright at this point in all honesty, they brought it on themselves but still that's the reality now

Moghead wrote: »
    What did we do to the Serbs?

Bombed the crap out of them mate.

When I said "us". I meant the allies against the Germans.

We were Neutral mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Moghead

Did the Allies bomb Serbia in WW2?

What are you on about?

"We" weren't part of the allied forces tho?
    We were neutral and didn't contribute forces to any side let alone the allies in WW2, or in the NATO action because funnily enough...
    "We" aren't in NATO!

Hate to break it to you guys....

But....

I'm a Brit.

We weren't neutral, we took on evil and defeated it.:cool:

lK5Qn96.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

But....

I'm a Brit.

lK5Qn96.jpg

Then speak for yourself

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Then speak for yourself

No worries mate, forgot where I was.

Apologies if the flag is a bit triggering.

But....

I'm a Brit.

lK5Qn96.jpg

That's great for you and all but claiming a royal "we" on Ireland's biggest chat forum is going to lead to plenty of WTF's...

So enjoy your reminiscing of Empire, the Congress of Europe and the creation of the Balkan crisis thru to the NATO actions...
    But that wasn't a "we" action, it was a "you and yours" one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

We were Neutral mate!
    We weren't neutral in 1995 when the EU by looking the other way and remaining silent supported the ethnic cleansing of hundreds of thousands of Serb civilians by Croatian ultra-right Ustase forces.
    The Croats are the 'good guys' now so that little episode of ethnic cleansing of civilians can now be forgotten and erased from history.

You seem to have the famous British* grasp of international history anyway

*Apologies to all the regular British people here

We weren't neutral in 1995 when the EU by looking the other way and remaining silent supported the ethnic cleansing of hundreds of thousands of Serb civilians by Croatian ultra-right Ustase forces.
    The Croats are the 'good guys' now so that little episode of ethnic cleansing of civilians can now be forgotten and erased from history.

What's that go to do about being Neutral during the World Wars?

Should be interesting in a few years Serbia wants to join the EU , wants to be more a European state ,
    Russia and it's far right groups don't ,
    Will we see a serb civil war at the behest of Moscow to maintain a say in the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Firstly there was no Serbia then only Yugoslavia.
    Secondly No they weren't. They signed up the Tripartite Pact.

What happened was Germany didn't honor the pact they invaded Yugoslavia.

The Serbian PM (Milan Nedic)at the time was absolutely loyal to Hitler.

DimitrijeLjotic raised support for the Nazi invasion and called for people to volunteer for active service with the Germans. He said resistance of militias was unpatriotic.

Serbian Newspapers like Nasa Borba and Obnova wrote ''
    "Serbs should not wait for the Germans to begin the extermination of the Jews."

An outright declaration of what was going to happen to jews. So they can't say they didn't know.

Quote from the SS
    "Serbia is the only country in which the Jewish question and the Gypsy question has been solved."

The serbian people however helped to save many thousands of jews. And they formed militias.

Serbia and Croatia both have a history of siding with the 'big man'.

Firstly there was no Serbia then only Yugoslavia.
    Secondly No they weren't. They signed up the Tripartite Pact.

What happened was Germany didn't honor the pact they invaded Yugoslavia.

The Serbian PM (Milan Nedic)at the time was absolutely loyal to Hitler.

DimitrijeLjotic raised support for the Nazi invasion and called for people to volunteer for active service with the Germans. He said resistance of militias was unpatriotic.

Serbian Newspapers like Nasa Borba and Obnova wrote ''
    "Serbs should not wait for the Germans to begin the extermination of the Jews."

Not even in Germany do you get such and outright declaration of what was going to happen to jews.

Quote from the SS

The serbian people however helped to save many thousands of jews. And they formed militias.

Serbs have a history of siding with the 'big man'.

I'm pretty sure the Serbs fought with the allies and the Croats fought with the Germans.

Are you getting confused between the two? The Serbs were occupied.

I'm pretty sure the Serbs fought with the allies and the Croats fought with the Germans.

No. I am not.

Nedic and Ljotic are serbs not croatians.

Both Croatians and Serbs fought with the Germans.

No, not always on the side of the allies. More complicated. The Chetniks collaborated with the Germans and Italians at various points. They were more interested in killing Bosnians.

The British withdrew their support in favour of the communist partisans due to this. The Serbs were occupied though, they became part of Croatia. There was no Serbia at the time. The croats were on the side of the Germans though and committed horrible crimes against the Serbs.

It was one country back then.

Croatians were occupied too.

They both helped the Germans.

And Yugoslavia signed the

Also please notice my edit to the post

You do get outright declarations of what will happen to Jews in German newspapers.
    They signed up the Tripartite Pact.

• Advertisement

No, not always on the side of the allies. More complicated. The Chetniks collaborated with the Germans and Italians at various points. They were more interested in killing Bosnians.

The British withdrew their support in favour of the communist partisans due to this. The Serbs were occupied though, they became part of Croatia. There was no Serbia at the time. The croats were on the side of the Germans though and committed horrible crimes against the Serbs.

They were not at all on the side of the allies.

No. I am not.

Nedic and Ljotic are serbs not croatians.

Both Croatians and Serbs fought with the Germans.

The Croats massacred the Serbs. There were Chetniks who were Serbs and they fought with the allies.

By the way Serbia and Croatia have both been accused of Holocaust denial.

I wouldn't trust anything their govts or embassies say.

They were not at all on the side of the allies.

Sorry, who wasn't? The chetniks? The communists?

Disappointing, I love Djokovic.

Still, if I had to choose it would be Serbs for me. Croats still have a larger Nazi problem despite the left telling us it's the Serbs.

I remember a few years ago deciding I was going to study the whole Yugoslav region and find out about all the various ethnics and the tensions between..

I think I gave up. Just a complete mess.

The Croats massacred the Serbs..
    That was long after ww2.

There were Chetniks who were Serbs and they fought with the allies

They didn't fight with the allies. They were resisting communists. They were primarily fighting a civil war with Yugoslav communist guerrillas, the Partisans.

• Advertisement

They both tried to have each other prosecuted for war crimes and genocide but neither had any real evidence to support their claims

Still, if I had to choose it would be Serbs for me. Croats still have a larger Nazi problem despite the left telling us it's the Serbs.

I remember a few years ago deciding I was going to study the whole Yugoslav region and find out about all the various ethnics and the tensions between..

Why can't you still love Djokovic? :)

He seems a nice guy :)

It would be like saying you can't like Diane Kruger.

The left? Why would the left be pro Croat?
    They are all right wing.

Does left now mean anyone I don't agree with?

They are all right wing.

Yep.

It was THAT kind of nationalism and nationalist separatism.

And for all that Germany invaded them anyway and shot 100 serb men for every German soldier killed by any resistance.

And still the PM helped the Germans.

They are all right wing.

Well it was primarily the left that sold us the NATO war on Serbia. So in order to gain public support, we were inundated for months/years with ant-Serb propaganda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

They are all right wing.

My impression is that yes, that's what it means. It's all over this forum with all sorts of generalisations about this "Left". It's getting tiresome.

Well it was primarily the left that sold us the NATO war on Serbia. So in order to gain public support, we were inundated for months/years with ant-Serb propaganda.
    I think it was anti milosevic

I am certainly not anti serbian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Europe as a whole needs to get off the American tit and embrace mother Russia and the belt and road initiative.

What are you talking about?

Seriously, this was not left wing driven at all, do you honestly think Nato are Left wing, seriously? This happened in the nineties, just after the cold war. What do you think Nato was set up for? The US were the main supports of the bombing.

Really you need to read up on some of what went on. Not saying the Croats also didn't commit war crimes, they did. But anti Serb propaganda, come on. If anything Nato should have done more sooner. To both sides.

Europe as a whole needs to get off the American tit and embrace mother Russia and the belt and road initiative.

I think embracing Russia and embracing the Russian govt are two totally different things.

If they embraced Russian Business more then they would actually have leverage over putin.

I do think the west swallows the anti russian thing whole though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ah good. They managed to be involved in 5 wars in 20th century. You can't keep up that kind of average without tanks.

Ireland has been in relatively few wars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ireland has only one neighbour and it's in the corner if Europe. There were no marching pats from Framce to Russia ir from Turkey to Vienna there.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Ireland has only one neighbour and it's in the corner if Europe. There were no marching pats from Framce to Russia ir from Turkey to Vienna there.
    Iceland has had 3 in the 20th century none of them to do with world wars.

They actually let someone die over cod.

But you will find hundreds of thousands of Irish have been involved in every conflict from the Americas to European Africa , south east Asia ,and middle East .

We maybe non aligned but that means very little

• Advertisement
Advertisement