Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serbia thanks Russia for military assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Gatling wrote: »
    But you will find hundreds of thousands of Irish have been involved in every conflict from the Americas to European Africa , south east Asia ,and middle East .

We maybe non aligned but that means very little
    Good point actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seems putin is stirring the pot

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — Romania has blocked a Russian military shipment of battle tanks and armored vehicles to Serbia because of international sanctions that are in place against Russia over its actions in Ukraine.

The Romanian Foreign Ministry said in a statement Friday that it could not issue a transit permit for the shipment due to a European Union embargo introduced in 2014. The statement gave no more details.

Serbian officials complained earlier this month that NATO-member Romania had prevented the delivery of some 60 Russian secondhand tanks and armored vehicles that were to be shipped from Russia via the Danube River to Serbia.

Media reports say Russia flew 10 armored vehicles to Serbia this week on its air force transport planes.

Russia has been helping its ally Serbia beef up its military, raising concerns in the Balkan region. In the 1990s during the bloody breakup of the former Yugoslavia, Serbia was at war with neighbors Croatia, Bosnia and Kosovo.

Serbia has already received six MiG-29 fighter jets from Russia. Serbia, which claims military neutrality, is negotiating additional arms purchases from Russia, including attack and transport helicopters and air defense systems.

Serbia formally wants to join the EU, but under political and propaganda pressure from Moscow, Belgrade has steadily slid toward the Kremlin and its goal of keeping the countries in the region out of NATO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wars don't come to Ireland, the Irish go looking for wars.

As for Serbia, appalling people. Slavs are basically programmed to be nationalist and racist it seems.

Serbia formally wants to join the EU, but under political and propaganda pressure from Moscow, Belgrade has steadily slid toward the Kremlin and its goal of keeping the countries in the region out of NATO.
    yep

Same with ukraine.

yep

Same with ukraine.

Invasion , occupation,fake elections and annexations

Will be repeated ..

Oddly enough there is several separatist movements wanting to separate from Serbia as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Oddly enough there is several separatist movements wanting to separate from Serbia as it is

Balkanisation inception.

Invasion , occupation,fake elections and annexations

Will be repeated ..

That has always been there historically.

There are 4 different official languages in Serbia and 18 different ethnic groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Should be interesting in a few years Serbia wants to join the EU , wants to be more a European state ,
    Russia and it's far right groups don't ,
    Will we see a serb civil war at the behest of Moscow to maintain a say in the country

Saying they want to join it and meaning it are two different things entirely. They might join when hell freezes over. Serbia's alliance with Russia means more to it than the eu ever will. You don't have a problem with far right groups anywhere else, Ukraine for example where they are far more mainstream than they are in Russia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

We were Neutral mate!

We said we were but really we weren't.
    We took Marshall Aid and supermarine spitfires, we didnt discourage Irish men from joining the Allies, except for deserters from the Irish Army

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

As for Serbia, appalling people. Slavs are basically programmed to be nationalist and racist it seems.

You hate xenophobes and Slavs.

Ukraine for example where they are far more mainstream than they are in Russia.

Really so why did Moscow host the largest far right conferences in the world ...
    Supported by Moscow .

But then again you had a big issue with Ukrainians defending themselves against russian invasion and occupation of their sovereign state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

So you just decided that all Slavs wich means Ukrainians, Russians, Belarusians, Czech, Slovakians, Polish, croatians, Slovenians, Bosnians, Serbs, Macedonians, Bulagarians etc are appalling people programmed to be nationalist and racists.

Lovely.

Anyway it's pitty you don't like Serbs, they tend to be funny, like to drink and throw a good party. A bit like Irish really.

Really so why did Moscow host the largest far right conferences in the world ...
    Supported by Moscow .

But then again you had a big issue with Ukrainians defending themselves against russian invasion and occupation of their sovereign state

Far right as defined by who Gatling? Just asking because you have views that could be interpreted by some quarters as "far right" but in fairness to you they aren't. One of the main attendee groups at that conference was the AfD, whose views on unrestricted immigration would be much the same as your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Far right as defined by who?

He's most likely using the same commonly accepted definition as this poster below.
    You don't have a problem with far right groups anywhere else, Ukraine for example where they are far more mainstream than they are in Russia.

Far right as defined by who?

The world ....

Seems far right Nazi is fine if your loyal to Putin and Russia anyone else is bad

• Advertisement

The world ....

Seems far right Nazi is fine if your loyal to Putin and Russia anyone else is bad

Read my post again, I expanded on it.

Read my post again, I expanded on it.

I'm laughing seriously laughing.

Did you happen to be at this neo Nazis conference.

I'm laughing seriously laughing.

Did you happen to be at this neo Nazis conference.

And what if I was. It wasn't a neo Nazi conference.

And what if I was. It wasn't a neo Nazi conference.

Typical Pro Putin style post

We not there ,you can't see us ,it wasn't us

It's all the CIA

The Russian connection is historical. Both countries have Orthodox religion and both have Cyrillic writting and they tend to be each other's allys. I don't think there will be many more separations from Serbia. However they like to see themselves as more relevant regional player than they currently are and sooner or later there will be some squabbles with their neighbours.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't think there will be many more separations from Serbia. However they like to see themselves as more relevant regional player than they currently are and sooner or later there will be some squabbles with their neighbours.

This here lays one of the issues if say a state within Serbia decided no were not going the Moscow route we want out ,
    Or a squabble with a neighbor would likely result in Russian forces taken action including to what we seen in Georgia where russian forces are actively moving boarders they installed in South Ossetia and grabbing land or having frozen conflicts in separate state to keep the region in unrest

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

banie01 wrote: »
    Who is this we?

I'm guessing by "We" he means the West and by the West he means the Americans.

Some people get confused about where they are from!

This here lays one of the issues if say a state within Serbia decided no were not going the Moscow route we want out ,
    Or a squabble with a neighbor would likely result in Russian forces taken action including to what we seen in Georgia where russian forces are actively moving boarders they installed in South Ossetia and grabbing land or having frozen conflicts in separate state to keep the region in unrest
    What state inside Serbia? There are no states inside Serbia. There is Hungarian ethnic group in Vojvodina but as far as I know there are no major separist tensions there. Also Serbia doesn't border with Russia, even if they crossed Black Sea they have to go accross Romania or Bulgaria. Serbia is land locked. Unless you are suggesting Putin is going to occupy half of Europe I don't know how Russian forces on the ground are likely.

Serbia sides with Russia & yet the whole country is full of money from the eu.
    Can anyone explain this to me? Why have the eu pumped millions into Serbia?

What state inside Serbia? There are no states inside Serbia. There is Hungarian ethnic group in Vojvodina but as far as I know there are no major separist tensions there. Also Serbia doesn't border with Russia, even if they crossed Black Sea they have to go accross Romania or Bulgaria. Serbia is land locked. Unless you are suggesting Putin is going to occupy half of Europe I don't know how Russian forces on the ground are likely.
    There is several separatist movements in Serbia who seem to want to part ways with Belgrade .
    This could well grow into a separatist state ,town or area oblast call it what you like,
    While russia has no direct route to serbia that doesn't mean that they can't get to serbia ,
    A simple joint training exercise would give Putin reason to put forces in Serbia ,then under security agreements to defend the Serbians against aggressors

Which separatist movements?

And no Russia won't bring their forces to sort out internal soats in Serbia. Putin is not stupid, there is a difference between putting out internal firws annexing areas with majority Russian population or plonking your army in the country sounded by EU contries.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They don't border Moldova either. But they wouldn't need many forces anyway, just enough to launch a coup and then win over enough of the army.

If a state within the United States wanted out there would be martial law declared by the federal government and a federal takeover/shutdown of the states legislature. You'd be ok with that I'd wager. There are no states within Serbia however so that fantasy of yours can't come true.

They don't border Moldova either. But they wouldn't need many forces anyway, just enough to launch a coup and then win over enough of the army.

Moldova used to be part of Soviet Union. Yugoslavia was not even in the Warsaw Pact. Russia is Serbian allay but they are not going to send army there like they didn't when Kosovo declared independence.

If a state within the United States wanted

What like when Russia annexed Crimea to protect against neo Nazis .

The same neo Nazis they actively support.

But Serbia has multiple regions anyone could break away

• Advertisement

Moldova used to be part of Soviet Union. Yugoslavia was not even in the Warsaw Pact.

They still maintain troops there is the point. If anything started in Serbia we'd have Russian 'peacekeepers' on the ground asap

They still maintain troops there is the point. If anything started in Serbia we'd have Russian 'peacekeepers' on the ground asap

Why didn't they send them when Kosovo declared independence?

Might have something to do with no pro Moscow support base .
    Where as in Serbia they have been very active promoting anti EU and NATO propaganda to maintain levels of mistrust

Might have something to do with no pro Moscow support base .
    Where as in Serbia they have been very active promoting anti EU and NATO propaganda to maintain levels of mistrust

Kosovo was part of Serbia. Historically very important part of Serbia. Albainians outbred Serbs but historically some of the biggest nation building events happened there.

Kosovo was part of Serbia. Historically very important part of Serbia.

Not important enough for russian intervention ,
    They are only interested if they have a support base and the ability to manipulate situations to their advantage

Because they were preoccupied with Chechnya, and the country itself was in a terrible condition economically and politically. Nowadays though they are much more comfortable with international action, covertly in Britain, Austria, Montenegro and of course we saw how far they are willing to go to maintain their sphere of influence in Ukraine and Syria

bubblypop wrote: »
    Serbia sides with Russia & yet the whole country is full of money from the eu.
    Can anyone explain this to me? Why have the eu pumped millions into Serbia?

anyone?
    any reason that the eu would give so much money to Serbia?

bubblypop wrote: »
    anyone?
    any reason that the eu would give so much money to Serbia?

To try move them away from Russian influence I guess. Like any investment sometimes it won't pay off in full

Thats laughable nonsense, balderdash. As if Serbians need to be influenced by propaganda to distrust NATO and the EU, they have plenty well founded reasons of their own.

• Advertisement

Thats laughable nonsense.

Not here , nobody can see us , it's all Russophobia.

And the CIA

Not important enough for russian intervention ,
    They are only interested if they have a support base and the ability to manipulate situations to their advantage
    Which part of Serbia is important enough then for Russian intervention?

There is an awful lot written in this thread by people who know very little about that part of the world. I don't know much but I do know a bit more.

Which part of Serbia is important enough then for Russian intervention?

There is an awful lot written in this thread by people who know very little

It's pretty obvious it wasn't important enough or we would have seen russians deployed to protect their interests or passport holders .

Trust me me you haven't seen anything yet when it comes to this thread wait for the others to come along and tell us all about America did this and America did that ,headchoppers and a few others

I have no interest in discussions about what America did or what Russia did or didn't do. But that still doesn't mean Russia is going to invade Serbia or that further areas are going to split away from Serbia.

I have no interest in discussions about what America did or what Russia did or didn't do. But that still doesn't mean Russia is going to invade Serbia or that further areas are going to split away from Serbia.

Nobody said invasion ,but they have their little green men also know some in Serbia have very sour grapes over the separation and independence of Kosovo , what's the current situation goes along the lines of only Serbia will decides when Kosovo is settled ,
    Saying Russia won't and and other areas won't split in the future is wrong , regardless of what you or anyone else thinks it's still quite possible ,
    Remember the train incident .

Seemed a pretty obvious message was sent to Kosovo by others than the EU leaning government

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

A wise decision by the proud nation of Serbia. It is clear why Serbia chooses to align itself with the Russian Federation considering the way it was demonised and scapegoated for the Yugoslav wars. Hopefully it will remain a bastion against NATO in the Balkans for a long time to come.

https://www.apnews.com/f16d99a1a5a74f2fbae828d5760af33a

If if it wasn't for the mass ethnic cleansing, by serbian forces in Kosovo.Then there would have been no bombs hitting Belgrade in the first place.Make no mistake about it, the serbs were very much the aggressors during the conflict in the balkans.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement

If if it wasn't for the mass ethnic cleansing, by serbian forces in Kosovo.Then there would have been no bombs hitting Belgrade in the first place.Make no mistake about it, the serbs were very much the aggressors during the conflict in the balkans.

He is clearly a troll, no-one could possibly think the Serbs were the injured party in any of the Yugoslavian wars.

It went both ways. Serbs were targeted murdered and displaced from and within Kosovo by Albanians long before the Kosovo war. There were protests in Belgrade in the 80s calling for the Yugoslav government to do something about the persecution of Serbs in Kosovo, a Serbian province going back a thousand years or more. The whole situation there is not as clear cut as US propaganda would have us all believe.

It went both ways. Serbs were targeted murdered and displaced from and within Kosovo by Albanians long before the Kosovo war. There were protests in Belgrade in the 80s calling for the Yugoslav government to do something about the persecution of Serbs in Kosovo, a Serbian province going back a thousand years or more. The whole situation there is not as clear cut as US propaganda would have us all believe.

During the 80s the Serbian government took away the autonomy that Kosovo had since the early 70s.
    Kosovan Albanians were all fired from their jobs & replaced with Serbians. Serbia changed the school curriculum & kosovan Albanians were not allowed to study. They attended secret schools, like hedge schools here from long ago.
    Serbia tried basically to erase the kosovan Albanian culture from the area.
    The KLA was set up in order to protect the civilians & the civil rights, much like the IRA here.
    It's not simple, for sure, but it was Serbia who tried to rub out the Kosovan Albanian culture & when that didn't work, they then committed genocide against them, to rub out the people.

As far as I know autonomy was still in place in eighties and was only dissolved after colapse of Yugoslavia. There was still central committee and while there is no denying tensions and aggression was in place before, Serbia was held back by others as far as I can remember. As for not employing Albainians, there were no jobs. Kosovo was a ****hole, no money, no industry and no investment. I think a lot of Serbs moved out to find work. There is no question the Serbs were aggressors in Kosovo and some appalling crimes were committed. However both sides were in it. Albainians didn't make it plesant for Serbs living in that area either.

The main reason war started in Yugoslavia was the ambition to create Great Serbia. Croatia did have their own interests in Bosnia and especially Bosnian muslims were screwed from both sides. There were crimes committed by all sides but there was one aggressor that started all conflicts.

By the by Yugoslavia was a country of two types of writting, three religions, 4 or 5 languages (depends who you ask and excluding minorities) and areas with very different history and traditions. It was marriage of convenience because different republics were afraid neighbours will gobble them up (with good reason) after ww1 but there was not much love between different parts.

Milosevic took away their autonomy in 89 I think, but had already started to rub out their culture.
    Kosovan Albanians lost their jobs, in the police force, schools, university, government departments etc. & were replaced by Serbians.
    There were many mixed villages in Kosovo & no issues between residents.
    There were many atrocities carried out against civilian Serbs, after NATO intervention in the war. However the Serbian forces committed genocide in Kosovo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement