Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance confusion

Options
  • 29-07-2019 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

My wife was with its for women.ie. She received a better quote form AXA so went with them. When the paper work arrived its states that she only has 3 years no claims bonus from its for women.ie although she has 10+ years no claims bonus over all with different insurance companies. Axa mentioned on the phone today that she needs to prove the 10+ years no claims bonus. I have never heard of this before. Whats the best way to resolve the issue as trying to find previous insurance companies from over 15 years does not sound feasible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I am presuming that she provided proof of her then 7 years + ncb to its for women.ie when she took out insurance with them for the first time 3 years ago? (or at least took out insurance with them having being insured with a different provider in the year prior to that).

If this is the case then its for women should be providing your wife with a statement of her full NCB to date now and not just her 3 years with them only. If it was the case that we had to go hunting around maybe 4 or 5 plus previous companies/ brokers for our proof of NCB each time we changed provider it would be an absolute nightmare.

Now it can be a case that some providers will only show a maximum figure on the NCB statement they provide that does not correlate to your actual NCB years but that is taken as a full NCB by other companies. For example I have 12 years NCB in my own name but Allianz who I am with only show a maximum of 8 years on the NCB statements they issue. This would be the same for a driver who had 25 years NCB. It would certainly be more than 3 years though.

On the other hand the only other thing I can think of is that your wife had too long a break in her driving before she went to its for women.ie and effectively started off a fresh NCB in which case she does only have a 3 years NCB. If not though and she had continuous motor insurance in place all along through the years I'd be getting back in touch with its for women.ie and asking them to provide a statement of her full NCB - well she will probably have to as they most likely will need to speak to her directly - GDPR and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I understand it's too late for the OP , but I always take a photocopy/scan of the no-claims 'cert' at every renewal. Most insurers will insist on getting the Original when you are changing Company, but if you keep a copy at least you have something to show future Insurers.
    Also some of them appear to word the no-claims differently....a lot will say that you have eg. 3 years claims free driving with them, but also that you have a Max no-claims bonus entitlement.

Advertisement