Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 1903 update stuck on 48%...?

Options
  • 29-07-2019 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I updated my desktop to 1903 without a hitch. It took ages to download (it actually says, "Installting" in the dialog, not "Downloading") but installed pretty quickly.

However, I have had two attempts with my Windows 10 x64 laptop and it gets stuck at 48% during the installation bit - blue screen, lots of restarts.

After a forced shutdown and reboot, it says, "Undoing changes made to your computer" and then it reboots fine.

How can I install 1903 without it stalling?

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I think I remember reading this is a known fault with updating to 1903 and is 'being worked on' by Microsoft. I'd recommend waiting unless there's something in the update you need now. I don't think this update is pushed completely and it's packaged as an "additional update".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I download the Windows 10 Update Assistant.

I then turned off everything non-MSFT via System Config and rebooted.

I then tried again and it installed.

Running on 1903 now.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Dinarius wrote: »
    I download the Windows 10 Update Assistant.

I then turned off everything non-MSFT via System Config and rebooted.

I then tried again and it installed.

Running on 1903 now.

D.

Just did same with my own laptop (T480) - Failed to install first time around! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Feature updates aren't really updates moreover new OS installs. That creates a lot of tasks to complete and lots of things to go wrong.

All it takes is one peripheral driver to fail on reinstall and Windowze fails it and rolls back. Its not a great system. Maybe they'll smooth this out by 2030.

ED E wrote: »
    Feature updates aren't really updates moreover new OS installs. That creates a lot of tasks to complete and lots of things to go wrong.

All it takes is one peripheral driver to fail on reinstall and Windowze fails it and rolls back. Its not a great system. Maybe they'll smooth this out by 2030.

Good point about it new being OS. The reminder that pops up tells you that other OS will no longer be supported from (I think) September. So, worth the pain of installing for that reason.

Two further points...

1. If you’re not the type who makes restore points and likes to hang onto things, you can clear a shed load on gigabits on your C drive after the install by running the Tools in Properties. This will dump the old OS and everything associated with it. I gained 21Gb.

2. After you’ve run the tools, run something like CC Cleaner (which is what I use - free version) to clear your Registry of a lot of junk that’s left over.

My computer is like new now.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

Is there any benefit with this update or is it an important update?

I too had a failed attempt at the update the other evening - I pressed 'update and shut down' and update by mistake and left it running. I forgot to leave plugged in and battery must have died.

Tried to use laptop in the morning, plugged in and got the 'Undoing changes made to your computer' message and tried turning on and off but couldn't get by. Tried to load via BIOS but unsuccessful and back to message.

Left for the day and turned on - powered on as normal. Left it running overnight again to see whether it would sort itself out and then again another fail.

I don't really want to bother spending more time trying to sort it out - also my external drive is playing up at the moment so don't have everything backed up.

Is there any benefit with this update or is it an important update?

I too had a failed attempt at the update the other evening - I pressed 'update and shut down' and update by mistake and left it running. I forgot to leave plugged in and battery must have died.

Tried to use laptop in the morning, plugged in and got the 'Undoing changes made to your computer' message and tried turning on and off but couldn't get by. Tried to load via BIOS but unsuccessful and back to message.

Left for the day and turned on - powered on as normal. Left it running overnight again to see whether it would sort itself out and then again another fail.

I don't really want to bother spending more time trying to sort it out - also my external drive is playing up at the moment so don't have everything backed up.

I think that the main issue is that any version other than 1903 will not be supported from September/October on. So, you really don’t have much choice.

Just switch off all non-MSFT items via MS Config and run it again. Updated without a hitch when I did this.

Then clean out all the old stuff left behind and you’ll gain gigabytes of space.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    I think that the main issue is that any version other than 1903 will not be supported from September/October on. So, you really don’t have much choice.

Just switch off all non-MSFT items via MS Config and run it again. Updated without a hitch when I did this.

Then clean out all the old stuff left behind and you’ll gain gigabytes of space.

D.

Cheers for the reply. Do you mind me asking what you mean by 'switch off all non-MSFT items via MS Config'. I had a look through System Configuration but am a little unsure as to what is 'non-MSFT'. Thanks for the help!

Cheers for the reply. Do you mind me asking what you mean by 'switch off all non-MSFT items via MS Config'. I had a look through System Configuration but am a little unsure as to what is 'non-MSFT'. Thanks for the help!

Probably best to Google it.

But...

1. In the Search bar, bottom left, type msconfig
    2. In the General/Selective Startup, untick Load Startup Items.
    3. Click Apply.
    4. Restart computer.

Now, only Microsoft-specific items have started up.

Run the 1903 updater.

After it finishes, go back into msconfig and tick that box again and click Apply and Restart to make those non-MSFT items start up when you start the computer.

Right click on your C: drive and choose Properties/General/ and run Disk Cleanup. Tick all the boxes to remove your old installation. (It will warn you that you won't be able to revert to a Restore Point in your old installation. That didn't matter to me.) You should gain 20+ Gbs of disk space.

Clean the Registry too.

Then reboot again.

That's it.

D.

Cheers for the detailed reply Dinarius - much appreciated. I'll give it a go later...

• Advertisement
Advertisement