Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contractor V self build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Since we are just about to start a direct labour build I can't help Dan with a diary of my build but I just wanted to comment on the comment above from Eco_Mental on getting a mortgage. I must say that the fact we are doing a direct labour build didn't even get a mention from the bank aside from the box tick to say this is how we were going. We needed to provide a costing for the build but this is simply a form provided by the bank which our architect filled out with estimated average pricing for the build and provided his credentials also of course as the certifier.

We had no issue getting to letter of offer and as I mentioned we were very upfront that we were direct labour. As for regulations, NZEB, air tightness etc our architect will oversee all this so not something you need experience with in order to manage the direct labour build and having a friend who did a contractor build with the same architect I know our fee and his fee are very similar so I would think all the work in preparing tender packs for contractors goes into helping with the build instead and you end up with a similar cost for the overseeing.

Similar to briangriffin, the cost of going contractor for us would be simply unaffordable based on the price per sq foot we were hearing even prior to the recent price increases. We would expect to make a significant saving in going the direct labour route.

Advertisement